Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 2772 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 12:04:48 PM »
That's why I responded to (and quoted) only this ;):

.../... it is direct electric motor drive until +/- 70 mph then direct enging drive.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:25:37 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 12:54:29 PM »
The Honda explanation is an outline reallly to explain the users of the car new to the hybrid idea . When the petrol engine connects to the drive still depends on the load required . At 90 mph you can still be in direct mechanical drive and the electric motor can add to that power . However if you go up hill on a motorway at 60 and floor the accelerator the mechanical drive will disingage as the system then needs the electric power from the generator to match the demands of electric motor which will try and take the battery HV energy if it can . The controlling PCM system is far more sophisticated than anything simply speed related!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 01:07:15 PM »
That's why I responded (and quoted) only this ;):

.../... it is direct electric motor drive until +/- 70 mph then direct enging drive.

Not sure what you mean but all drive until approx 70mph is via electric drive, even if engine running surely

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 01:36:22 PM »

At 6:27 it shows over 70 to be hybrid only, not just engine

Let's be careful out there !

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 01:42:57 PM »
Interesting point about sound insulation and Japanese roads. I find the Mk4 very quiet, and even flooring it is not really noisy, just the same kind of accel noise you'd get in a gearbox ICE taking it to high revs, and even then pretty muted. Perhaps just more noticeable because of the normal quietness.

I do find a difference in roads though, in electric mode and very noticeable in the E the quite "roar" of tyre noise is the sound you hear until you come to a section of road near here where brand new soft tarmac has been laid for a few hundred yards. Then there is almost an eerei silence, literally no noise at all, then the normal concrete mix starts again and the tyre noise coming back in is quite alarming because so very noticable after such "floating" silence. I wonder if that road ride in Japan is much better and the UK therefore needs special sound insulation?  :(

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 02:17:47 PM »
I know in Austria  they make the effort in Urban areas to surface motorways with 'whisper' tarmac.  It makes a big difference in noise levels for the car and nearby  residents.   I suppose it comes at a cost.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 03:13:00 PM »
In the year 2020 a book was published in the Netherlands:

The miracle of ZOAB. History of a 'silent innovation'.

Dutch motorways are considered the safest and most comfortable roads in the world. The acclaimed status of Dutch roads is largely due to Very Open Asphalt Concrete (ZOAB), which has been used on almost the entire main road network. It is relatively quiet, safe and comfortable.
'The miracle of ZOAB' tells how ZOAB was developed, from the first experiments on Dutch motorways in the 1970s to the breakthrough of ZOAB in the late 1980s and its massive application in the 1990s.
ZOAB was developed to improve road safety during rain and broke through when the top layer also turned out to be much quieter.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/het-wonder-van-zoab-geschiedenis-een-stille-innovatie-burg-van-der

Noise reduction from 2.5 dB at low speeds to around 6 dB at high speeds.

Edit: The Netherlands and Japan are the only two countries in the world where Very Open Asphalt Concrete (ZOAB) is used on almost all roads.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:21:07 PM by Jazzik »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »
As this is my first hybrid AND auto gearbox, it has taken me 7k to get used to a different way of driving. The engine does respond in a different way, and sometimes sounds like its high revving... almost like you're clutch slipping. A couple of times I have put my foot down too heavily and the revs increase dramatically before catching up with itself. I have also now experienced that algorithm with the revs that Honda built in to make it sound like the gears are changing (pointless).
I think what Travis means though, is that sudden engine noise that kicks in for no reason that the driver has intended. Again, like the others have mentioned.. I now accept the engine configuration is doing what it needs to to to optimise performance and efficiency. I only really notice it at slow speeds, when I am using things that drain the battery quickly too often.

there isn't an automatic gearbox - it is direct electric motor drive until +/- 70 mph then direct enging drive.

I know how it works, but it is easier to say 'auto'.. especially as it has P N R D B and it is not a conventional stick shift.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 03:40:13 PM »
I don't get why Honda have built in pseudo gear change noises. I prefer the one gear. 

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 03:49:53 PM »
It doesn't bother me, I just wonder why it never downshifts...

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 05:48:03 PM »
Not sure what you mean but all drive until approx 70mph is via electric drive, even if engine running surely

In my experience, direct drive kicks in between 50mph and 70mph, exactly the same as when you'd be using 5th gear on a manual car.

If the load is light, eg. cruising on a relatively flat motorway, the car will usually cycle between pure electric drive and direct drive with charging.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2023, 06:19:56 PM »
exactly the same as when you'd be using 5th gear on a manual car.
I am always in 5th by 30 mph both with the Jazz and now the Fabia. The DSi Jazz was able to pull smoothly in 5th from about 20 mph on a flat road.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 06:26:38 PM »
exactly the same as when you'd be using 5th gear on a manual car.
I am always in 5th by 30 mph both with the Jazz and now the Fabia. The DSi Jazz was able to pull smoothly in 5th from about 20 mph on a flat road.

Yes, I could go into 5th at 30mph in my Mk2. The engine tolerated it, but I don't think it was good for it.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 10:24:36 PM »
The facelift version of the Mk4 has a "revised drive system” according to Honda but no one seems to know what that means or what effect it will have on the car. It is supposed to have more power and I suspect that Honda’s response to the engine noise criticism has to be to modify the drive train to reduce the ‘surging’ and sudden increase in engine noise discussed in this thread. Of course until the revised versions are available and we have comparative road tests we won’t know. Hopefully it won’t be long now till we can hear about the differences from owners and road tests.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 03:57:14 AM »
I find it odd that some are finding intrusive engine noise whilst I can't detect when my engine turns on or off when on the move.

I display the instant mpg bar and the only way I know is by looking at that bar.

Strange.

Tags:

anything