Author Topic: What to look for on a new pick up  (Read 806 times)

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
What to look for on a new pick up
« on: March 20, 2023, 05:35:13 PM »
Hi all

I am due to pick up my first ever brand new crosstar car this week. I’ve always had second hand cars so can people advise what to look for etc with a new car pick up.

Thanks in advance

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
Re: What to look for on a new pick up
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 09:14:43 PM »
Hi ! I always check the VIN numbers match the documents and have a look under the car for any damage . Not that I have had an issue with any of my Nissan cars nor my first honda but colleagues with expensive German cars  have had damage underneath found later. My jazz from Honda Grimsby part of DM Keith “family” was faultless and with a tank full of fuel. The handover involved connecting my iPhone to the car so it can use Waze and Spotify. Radio 4 radio 2 and our local Lincs FM take care of the radio presets .
Check what you want it’s your handover from your dealer and you should be entirely happy as I’m sure your Honda dealer will want that too.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:41:26 AM »
Not pickup related but when you spend an hour or two setting up all the features make sure it's powered up so the engine is running or the very small 12v battery could easily drain.

Also note that the RDMS can be turned off if you find it intrusive.
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 06:25:30 AM »
I have had same salesman for many cars, he spends lots of time setting up 'fiddly' bits and my preferences. this was great with test drive on Crosstar with its quite radical changes (for me) to driving habits with automatic system and able to concentrate on great driving experience.
Other than that a good visual examination of all outside paintwork and inside panels, facia.
One car from dealer had a tiny almost undetectable ding on roof - they gave me the option of taking or reject, which I did, they then negotated with Honda for discount to be passed on to customer who accepted very minor defect.
Only once had scratch on top of dashboard which i detected on way hpme after delivery - looked like a consequence of cleaning tool or sign removal - turned round to gargae and top part change a week later.

About 15 new Hondas now and that is only 'problems' so far.

Over 10000 miles in Crosstar - possibly best one ever had overall.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 08:30:09 AM »
My jazz from Honda Grimsby part of DM Keith “family” was faultless and with a tank full of fuel.

I too purchased my Jazz from DM Keith in Grimsby. It was the first time I had used this dealership (having only ever used Pocklingtons in Louth) and I must say they were first rate.

Going back to thread, check panel alignment and that all doors/tailgate fit flush and true when closed. I would check tyres regularly, to make sure there is no excessive wear happening due to tracking. I would also keep a closer eye than normal on fluid levels for a couple of months, especially coolant.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:33:28 AM by Nicksey »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 09:33:38 AM »
The other thing I changed ASAP was to remove the dealer straightforward number plate screws, removed in seconds and used double sided tape and security screws.
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 10:31:48 AM »
The other thing I changed ASAP was to remove the dealer straightforward number plate screws, removed in seconds and used double sided tape and security screws.

I changed the plates completely, opting for a gel type and using the double sided (which on previous cars has always held firm, though thats down to good prepping first).

Tags: