Author Topic: 15" or 16"?  (Read 3596 times)

Saucebox

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 jazz EX
15" or 16"?
« on: March 15, 2023, 04:47:16 PM »
I'm about to order the 2023 facelifted iteration. It wouid appear that the Elegance version has exactly the same spec list goodies on it as the Advance model, the ONLY difference being the size of the wheels. My question: WHICH SIZE COPES BETTER WITH POTHOLES, THE SMALLER  OR THE LARGER SIZE WHEEL?

PaultheManc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz Hybrid SR
Re: 15" or 16"?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 05:39:16 PM »
Definitely prefer the 15" on my Mk4 compared with 16" on my Mk2. Softer ride, less jarring, soaks up bumps much better - but I am not a boy racer.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 05:59:07 PM »
I have 16 inch on my Crosstar. Mk4 has quite a comfy suspension compared to Mk1, 2 and 3. So it copes well with potholes etc. 15 inch will be even more comfy though.
I would prefer 16, because of the way it looks.

Maybe you could give it a try during a test drive?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 04:52:43 AM »
Both the 15" and 16" have the same rolling circumference so the 15" tyres have a slightly deeper tyre wall = more flex = a more pliant ride.

If I had a choice it would be 15"
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 06:56:00 AM »
...It's weird that you say two models are identical spec wise with the only difference being wheel size  :-X

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 01:59:51 PM »
...It's weird that you say two models are identical spec wise with the only difference being wheel size  :-X
It is actually quite common among manufacturers.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 02:24:32 PM »
...Why bother with the different designations then? just say which wheel size you want upon ordering.

Deejay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 GR3 Jazz EX Platinum White
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »
A quick look at the specs on the Listers site suggests to me that the Elegance doesn’t get the heated steering wheel, blind spot monitoring or privacy glass.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 10:08:38 PM »
A quick look at the specs on the Listers site suggests to me that the Elegance doesn’t get the heated steering wheel, blind spot monitoring or privacy glass.
I can never understand why many manufacturers let you opt, at added price, for larger wheels with lower profile tyres but they never provide the option to go for smaller wheels with higher profile tyres. Why not?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 02:55:37 AM »
Also, you pay for different wheels at what looks like full price even though they get to keep the standard wheels ?
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »
I have two sets of wheels, 15" on all season tyres and 16" on summer tyres.  TBH I dont notice that much difference  on rough roads that cant be explained by different brands of tyre, rather than side wall height etc.  I dont rely on my tyres to 'cope' with potholes. I either avoid them, or drive through them extremely carefully and slowly.

15" wheels have tyres with higher side walls, which may give more resilience and a better  ride  on rougher roads. Maybe a slight advantage if you push your luck with potholes. It could be argued that this better ride may be deceptive, and encourage you to take potholes less seriously and drive a bit faster. Which soon cancels out any advantage.  I have noticed that in India and Eastern Europe its often the off road vehicles, and luxury vehicles that suffer tyre and suspension damage more often than modest hatchbacks.And much more expensive to repair.  Their drivers assume they are immune from potholes  and drive too fast.  Impact damage  increases by the square of velocity.    You hit  a pothole 4 x as hard at 10mph than you do at 5mph. 

Forget any notion that 16" wheels are  larger diameter  , and can span or exit a pothole more easily.  The overall rolling circumference  is near enough the same on 14",15" 16" ,17" inch  or 18".due to tyre profile changes.  17 and 18" wheels  require increasingly  low profile tyres that makes the tyre and wheel more susceptible to sharp strike damage,  but the problem is less on 16".

If I could chose  one size it would be 15", the tyres can be significantly  cheaper if one does get damaged.  16" wouldnt entice me to upgrade trim level unless it was a significant improvment in appearence. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 11:28:34 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 02:22:58 PM »
I initially took out the SR as a demo car. I had it for two days, and used it on all the roads I knew to be my regular runs. This was fitted with 15".

I bought the EX Style, which is fitted with 16" wheels. I preferred the look of the car and the extras were what I was accustomed to with my previous Renaults.. so I wasn't prepared to go backwards in spec.

My honest opinion is I noticed no difference in drive, comfort or handling whatsoever from the 15" to the 16". The diamond cut alloys look a million miles better than the plastic top loading washer mangle fan thing that is fitted to 15".

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 02:57:19 PM »
The diamond cut alloys look a million miles better than the plastic top loading washer mangle fan thing

I think the plastic top loading washer mangle fan things sets our Jazz apart from all those 'ordinary' cars with their common (even when they are diamond cut) alloys.
The Jazz EX: a special car with an EXclusive wheel design.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:31:44 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 04:24:21 PM »
The diamond cut alloys look a million miles better than the plastic top loading washer mangle fan thing

I think the plastic top loading washer mangle fan things sets our Jazz apart from all those 'ordinary' cars with their common (even when they are diamond cut) alloys.
The Jazz EX: a special car with an EXclusive wheel design.  ;D

I wonder why so many are removing them, and going for the all black naked look then?  8)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 06:35:22 PM »
So many...? How many did you see with the all black "naked" look? Me here not one.
And yes, you are right, undressing the wheels makes the Jazz look "naked", like without ...

Naked:   and:   neatly dressed

If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags: