Author Topic: Rear handbrake behaviour - number of clicks when foot brake applied  (Read 5259 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
Re: Rear handbrake behaviour - number of clicks when foot brake applied
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2023, 11:48:03 AM »
Update.

Mike at Brakes International suggested removing the caliper, wind the piston back into the bore. Then carefully unwind the piston and refit the caliper.   This should reset the internal handbrake mechanism.

Sadly the procedure did not resolve the problems.

I purchased a new caliper from BrakesInt.  Previous caliper was Bremtech brand and supplied with wrong size (short) handbrake bracket so I had to reuse the honda handbrake bracket.   The replacement is Axia branded and does not come with handbrake cable bracket.  The spring retainer that fits over the aperture is not included too.   Seems poorer value for the money.

I tried to re-use the old Honda bolts to attach handbrake bracket to the new caliper but ended up rounding one of the bolt heads.  I replaced them with the bolts and washer supplied with the old Bremtech caliper.

Handbrake works smoothly. No notchiness at top of handbrake travel.  The cam is hard against the end stop when lever is raised to 1st notch position with both wheels beginning to drag.  (Previously, I had to raise the lever to 2nd or 3rd notch before the wheel with the faulty caliper would start to drag)

The Axias also seem to come with a pair of copper banjo washers (Bremtechs did not include them)

Brakes International agreed to refund the cost of the faulty Bremtech caliper once I send it back to them.

Update:
Refund received within 2 days of BrakesInt. receiving the caliper.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 10:37:08 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Rear handbrake - failed MoT
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2023, 09:14:52 AM »
 :(

failed MoT yesterday.  First time in history of the car. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Rear Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))

Reminder, all rear Pagid discs, Brembo pads and calipers changed 18 months ago.  Offside rear caliper replaced again 6 months ago.  All calipers supplied by Brakes International.

Returned home and jacked car up.  Spun the rear wheels by hand, showing usual slight signs of pads rubbing against disc but no worse than in previous years.  If anything, the problem nearside was spinning a bit more freely than offside.  Handbrake also seems to work, engaged in about 4-5 clicks, and I know the car holds on hills so at a loss why it failed.  Spring loaded handbrake cable cams sitting correctly on end stops.

Booked into garage next week to investigate. I can only think the handbrake cable may need replacing but it is not something I can do myself.   

Only just passed 19,000 miles on odometer.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 06:08:32 PM by bill888 »

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2023, 03:22:00 PM »
Dropped car off at small village garage that also does MoTs in expectation they'd have to replace handbrake cable or a caliper.  Got a call a few hours later.  It passed MoT.  They couldn't find anything wrong with the rear brakes....

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2023, 05:55:38 PM »
These days it does happen, have you used the first garage in the past where it failed?
Sometimes you need to hunt down a garage with a time served mechanic or even better owner/mechanic when you have an older vehicle . Not to have a soft ride but the have the car tested within tolerances.
Good to see you got a new ticket.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Rear handbrake behaviour - failed MoT
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2023, 06:56:37 PM »
I used same MoT only centre for over 15 yrs.  The signature on the Fail certificate has appeared on many Pass certificates including last year 2022, and a couple as far back as 2013.

The only other thought is I couldn't take the car for its usual scenic detour to work the engine and brakes Very hard, just prior to taking car for its 'doomed' MoT, due to traffic (jams) at the time.

Yes, I'll probably stick with using the small garage which was recommended to me, given the age of the car and the increasingly likely need for future repairs.   

I saw a rare 2002 pink Jazz 1.2 about to be MoTed when I collected my car today.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:09:37 PM by bill888 »

Tags:

anything