Author Topic: Alloy wheel use as a spare tyre  (Read 954 times)

Kaku

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz mk3
Alloy wheel use as a spare tyre
« on: February 14, 2023, 10:13:11 PM »
Hello there fellow Honda Jazz Owners

Quick question regarding alloys :D

I own honda jazz mk3 17 plate and i am looking to buy an alloy wheel with a tyre and use it as a spare.  The alloy is really good price 15inch but it does look different as it is from 18 plate jazz (different spokes) and tyre is 195/55/15  and mines are standard 185/60/15. I wonder if someone could advise should i buy it or stay away please?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Alloy wheel use as a spare tyre
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 10:46:44 AM »
On checking the following web site  there is a difference in diameter /rolling  circumference of 1.26%.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=185&aspect=60&diameter=15&wheelwidth=6&offset=30&width2=195&aspect2=55&wheel_size=15&wheel_width=6&offset2=30

Probably ok as an emergency spare just to get you to the nearest tyre fitter if thats all you have.  But its a different tread width. Not a good idea to mix tyres on the same axle .It can affect braking and handling . It would fail the MOT and your insurers will not be happy  .    Better to find the correct size, even if it costs a bit more.  It also means you can take a bit more time arranging for a repair. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kaku

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 11:32:56 AM »
Thank you for your advice! Really appreciate it . I could probably change the tyre to 185/60/15  but my concern is if the alloy is going to fit as it does look different. The seller is quite a bit far away from me so i am trying to save myself time and money

I have attached the photos of both alloys. 

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 02:05:37 PM »
Both are 4 stud Honda wheels so as long as its 15"  both should have the same pdc (ie the spacing of the wheel nuts)  and the same  centre bore.  (ie the big hole in the centre that fits over the wheel hub holding the wheel central)
But to fully check  they are compatible you may also want to check   the rim width  and off set (et).  These will be cast into the rear of the wheel.       Looking at similar wheels on Ebay  these may be 6J width  (ie 6" between tyre beads)  and Offset  50 ET.     (This is basically how far the wheel pokes out into the wheel arch when the tyre is bolted to the wheel hub.)

If you remove one of your own wheels  you should find these measurements   on the back.  Then ask the seller to do the same .  Ebay sellers often quote these in the listing anyway or post a rear photo where they are readable.  If they are the same you should be ok.  If the ET number   differs  slightly have another think. The wrong wheel, and having to replace a tyre may not be such a bargain after all..   You might even find a15"  steel rim from a civic from about 2004 in a local scrapyard  might be an equally good fit if you only want an emergency spare.  But check carefully . I cant guarantee it   ;D)     
You can check PDC, off set, centre bore etc for various Honda models on the following web site 
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/jazz/2017/

Kaku

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 03:33:45 PM »
Thank you i will do that. You have been very helpful !

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 06:14:59 PM »
I was thinking of getting a full size alloy to use as a spare but could find the right size but not pattern.

As pointed out on the forum , although unlikely , it's sods law that you could have an accident or stopped by police while driving to get the wheel repaired. An odd wheel would attract attention.

I opted to get a spacesaver instead , which is legal if you keep within the speed limit.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 09:49:03 PM »
As pointed out on the forum , although unlikely , it's sods law that you could have an accident or stopped by police while driving to get the wheel repaired. An odd wheel would attract attention.
Is it really so, that in UK it is not legal to use full-size spare wheel if it is not same size and pattern?   :o

In Finland it is fully acceptable to use it temporarily, which can be rest of the trip if travelling away from home, or at least couple of days until the normal tyre is repaired. Longer if there is weekend or public holidays.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 09:32:25 AM »

Is it really so, that in UK it is not legal to use full-size spare wheel if it is not same size and pattern?   :o

In Finland it is fully acceptable to use it temporarily, which can be rest of the trip if travelling away from home, or at least couple of days until the normal tyre is repaired. Longer if there is weekend or public holidays.

Doesnt need to be the same pattern but different size tyres  on the same axle  will fail the MOT technical safety test . In a normal stop most police would probably ignore  small differences  if its obvious its just being used  in an emergency .  But as stated if they are investigating a crash etc  where it may have contributed they may not be able to ignore it.  They might also think  a driver was driving too fast  for a spacesaver.  i
Also if the tyre looks near enough  correct owners might  not bother getting it fixed, or moderate their driving to allow for uneven braking,handling. .   But most would change a spacesaver as soon as possible .  (apart from an old lady near me who has had a spacesaver on her Micra  for nearly a year.  :o But the car is also gathering cobwebs.  )

Tags: