Author Topic: Pet Hates With Your Cars  (Read 6542 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Pet Hates With Your Cars
« on: December 20, 2022, 06:08:47 PM »
Have you any pet hates with your cars ?
The following annoy me and it's not restricted to Honda's :

Bonnet locks, why are they so agricultural. you have to drop the bonnet from height to close them and most manufacturers recommend this in the manual. you can close the doors gently, why not the bonnet !

A lack of gauges these days especially the engine temp gauge. When the engine temp light comes on it's a bit late. 40 years ago my Metro had a water temp gauge and I could see it go up and drop down when the thermostat opened. Cost savings I suppose, but I preferred having them.

No spare wheel, having a disabled wife the last thing I want is to be stranded somewhere. I used to keep a spare in the wheel well with previous cars but Hybrids have the battery packs under the boot floor so I can't get the spare and my wifes wheelchair safely in the boot area.

It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Pet Hates With Your Cars
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 06:22:27 PM »
My pet hate with my Jazz was no a/c but that is what I get for settling for sn S.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »
RDMS, how can it be regarded as a safety feature, if when driving down country lanes, it try’s to steer away from the grass verge and into the path of an oncoming car.
I could live with it, if it was under the ultimate control of the driver, ie, not having to disable it every time I start the car.
No, it’s not for me and I hate with a passion, particularly when I occasionally forget to disable it!  😳

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »
Service reminder. Annoying having to reset it every 180 days or whatever it is.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
Next time your in get them to disable it
Let's be careful out there !

Derkie54

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
Next time your in get them to disable it

Yes, mines disabled I never see it.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
...A lack of gauges these days especially the engine temp gauge. .......
I worked in the car industry for many years. Temperature gauges, and especially oil pressure gauges, are a complete waste of time/money/effort. If you engineer a car properly they are of no use, the temperatures will be OK and the oil pressure will be fine. Very often the gauges were calibrated in a very non-linear way anyway, the water temp would usually sit near normal on the gauge pretty much regardless of actual temperature. Mind you, in the old Mini/Metro with the A-series it would eventually let you know when (not if) the bypass hose had failed. Modern cars properly engineered .... no.
At least in a modern car it would be perfectly possible to display on a screen any parameters used by the engine management system if you really wanted it. Less is usually more.

Things that bug me, with many electronic/IT type stuff not just cars, is how complicated it is to set stuff how you want it, selecting menus scrolling through options selecting sub-menus etc. Usually I've forgotten how to do it next time I need it.
One thing that I liked in the Jazz is the nice big round knobs for the heating/ventilation. My Yaris has a small mode button to select where the air is directed (screen/footwell etc) and I always have to look down low on the centre console to find it, hate that, but the ventilation is actually better than the Jazz.
In the Jazz the dashboard reflection in the screen is awful, how can that get through to production? I have a mat on the dash but you shouldn't need to.
Silly door handles bug me too, and as for those scrolling indicators used by some manufacturers, don't start me.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 12:11:26 PM »

A lack of gauges these days especially the engine temp gauge. When the engine temp light comes on it's a bit late. 40 years ago my Metro had a water temp gauge and I could see it go up and drop down when the thermostat opened. Cost savings I suppose, but I preferred having them.

Some gauges   can just become worry meters.   Watching temperature gauges going  up in traffic and hill climbing didnt really help.  Modern cars monitor lots more things than they did in the past   where the driver doesn't really need to know the details.   A blue light saying too cold, dont thrash it yet, and red light when something is urgently wrong,or orange light when it can wait a bit,  is enough for me. If necessary some cars   can show lots of additional  stuff, including engine temperature , on a secret  menu or by using  a bluetooth OBD2 reader and phone app  .  I have never felt the need to monitor it except maybe during diagnosis of a fault.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:30:29 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 12:48:19 PM »
What bugs me? To start with: lack of height adjustment for the passenger seat (more of a problem for Ms. Jazzik).
Lack of a spare wheel (although... the last puncture I had was almost 12 years ago with the Kia. So statistically, it's about our turn again).
And finally: why does the manual have (only) 679 (six hundred and seventy nine) pages? :o  I notice here that hardly anyone takes the trouble to look something up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 04:31:43 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 01:12:57 PM »
My biggest dislike is that the VSA off button does not take it off, just gives wider limits. A Procedure https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12099.msg82987#msg82987 is needed every time you start the car. It doesn't matter so much in dry summer conditions, but in winter the system interfering driving becomes really annoying.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:16:04 PM by TnTkr »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 12:08:59 PM »
RDMS, how can it be regarded as a safety feature, if when driving down country lanes, it try’s to steer away from the grass verge and into the path of an oncoming car.
I could live with it, if it was under the ultimate control of the driver, ie, not having to disable it every time I start the car.
No, it’s not for me and I hate with a passion, particularly when I occasionally forget to disable it!  😳

Agreed 100%. I forgot to switch it off last week and it gave a wobble on an icy road - very disconcerting. This system needs scrapping as it offers no value whatsoever.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 01:43:05 PM »

Agreed 100%. I forgot to switch it off last week and it gave a wobble on an icy road - very disconcerting. This system needs scrapping as it offers no value whatsoever.

Don't blame the system for your country "roads", -"lanes", or whatever name you use for these trails. ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
I think there have been enough complaints about RDMS to allow us to criticise it and not blame road quality.

It's the only annoying thing I can really moan about. It's also generating complaints on the Civic forum so it's a widespread issue. I also remember looking on the HondaUK rev8ews section and the most complained about feature was ...... have a guess.

I haven't encountered it but the reports of it trying to steer away from a verge and into the path of an approaching vehicle sounds dangerous.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 04:47:49 PM »
Let's call this "roads" or "lanes":

and blame "the system" (RDMS) for this:

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 05:24:38 PM »
We’re obviously not talking about the same thing. The ‘lanes’ shown will not allow any form of passing, one driver would have to reverse to a suitable ‘passing place’ or whatever.
The lanes I am talking about are wide enough to allow two cars to pass each other, but to increase the safety gap, it is natural to move over as far to the near side as possible, something which RDMS has a problem with!

Tags:

anything