Author Topic: Upgrading? from Mk 2 Jazz  (Read 1452 times)

pintofale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX
Upgrading? from Mk 2 Jazz
« on: May 05, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »
Hi all, I have a Mk 2 Jazz (1.4 EX) which I love but it's getting a little long in the tooth.  My budget means I am looking at upgrading to a Mk3 and I would love to have a list of differences between the '2' and the '3' - particularly the positives, since the only differences I know of so far are both negative (no panoramic roof and no lining in the boot floor well).  Perhaps there are some subtle things which wouldn't be picked up on a forecourt viewing.  What can I look forward to with a Mk 3?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Upgrading? from Mk 2 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »
Very generous rear seat legroom.

Better fuel economy provided you drive in a manner which lets the Atkinson cycle mode operate.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 09:01:45 PM »
I will one day replace my Mk2 with a MK3. I think the things I most look forward to having are cruise control and a 6spd gearbox, both being standard on the mk3 as I understand.

Mind, my 2013 Jazz has only got 109k on the clock and still runs like new car. I don't expect to be replacing it anytime soon!

You mention the mk2 having carpet in the wheel well. First car I've ever had with carpet there, and given that it's only designed to carry a wheel, I can't see why Honda bothered to do so. 

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 10:43:58 PM »
I will one day replace my Mk2 with a MK3. I think the things I most look forward to having are cruise control and a 6spd gearbox, both being standard on the mk3 as I understand.

Mind, my 2013 Jazz has only got 109k on the clock and still runs like new car. I don't expect to be replacing it anytime soon!

You mention the mk2 having carpet in the wheel well. First car I've ever had with carpet there, and given that it's only designed to carry a wheel, I can't see why Honda bothered to do so.

i think you might be out of luck unless you go private as the second hand prices at dealers are going crazy, i am so happy i got mine in 2019 and going to keep it at least until 2034, this is the first car i have bought that is going up in value, madness

how was it changing the plugs on your mk2? i never got around to it on my mk2
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:46:07 PM by monkeydave »

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »
Our 2018 SE CVT replaced our MK1, have no experience of a Mk2 however we think the 3 is vastly superior, better than we expected. It does however have one serious drawback. The front seat passengers leg room is seriously reduced even with the seat fully pushed back. Luckily we have another car for long journeys otherwise we’d be be somewhat disenchanted.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »
I found the Mk3 to have a better ride than the Mk2 - less jittery.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 06:31:02 AM »

I changed the plugs last year on my Mark2.
Very easy and broke no fixings.

i think you might be out of luck unless you go private as the second hand prices at dealers are going crazy, i am so happy i got mine in 2019 and going to keep it at least until 2034, this is the first car i have bought that is going up in value, madness

how was it changing the plugs on your mk2? i never got around to it on my mk2

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 09:52:19 AM »
Your best bet drive the highest mileage MK3 you can find then keep your own Jazz.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 01:17:09 PM »
We have two MK2s in the family which I drive frequently and my wife has an MK3 sport so can give you my thoughts.

Starting with practicality, I would say there is no meaningful difference. The MK2 seems to have a bigger boot. We went from an MK1 to our MK3 and noticed a slightly smaller boot in the MK3, although the rear passenger legroom was better. The roof level seems lower in the MK3, certainly if you're tall and sitting in the rear side seats, the curving roof might just brush your head. So I would say headroom in MK3 is not quite as good but it isn't bad.

The ride quality is very similar too. I would say MK3 is probably a touch more refined but I've noticed that it seems a little less stable in crosswinds on the motorway compared to our MK1 or the MK2. But as the Jazz is a small light car, it is always going to be unstable in crosswinds. The seats in the MK3 seem firmer, definitely firmer than the MK1 and probably a little firmer than the MK2 which for me is not as comfortable on longer journeys.

One thing I don't like about the MK3 is the front headrests. They are awful. They tilt forward too much and sometimes if accidentally pushed forward they lock in place pushing your head forward. They are also far too big and block the view for rear passengers.

We have the 1.5 engine in our sport which has a decent amount of torque and makes the drive much more pleasant but is slightly thirstier - not that we noticed the difference but on paper, it is not as frugal. I haven't driven the 1.3 MK3 so cannot comment on how it compares with the MK2 equivalent. The 1.4 MK2 isn't bad, a marked improvement in driveability over the 1.4 MK1 which had very poor torque, the 1.5 MK3 with a slightly bigger displacement is better still.

The steering is a big difference between the MK3 and MK2. The MK2 has the worst steering feel of all the Jazz's I've driven. I think the MK1 probably has the best feel and sense of control followed by the MK3.

We've had no major issues with our MK3 and there has been no issues at all with the MK2s in our family. Really reliable cars. The only minor issues we have had have been a squeaky clutch pedal (which was easily fixed) and now a squealing clutch which doesn't affect the driving at all.

In terms of positives, the MK3 looks better in my opinion, it's a design that will likely stand the test of time and will take a long time before it looks dated. The interior is much cleaner and modern than the MK2 and is generally a nicer place to sit. The MK2 interior does look a little old now albeit perfectly useable and practical. There are more "toys" in the MK3 if that's something you're looking for. We don't really use half the features that come with the car. Cruise control is about the only thing we use, great for reduced-speed motorways - but admittedly it is not that easy/intuitive to use compared to other systems.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 02:45:15 PM »
...I thought the boot sizes were roughly:

MK1 380l
MK2 337l
MK3 354l
MK4 304l

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 04:50:36 PM »

MK1 380l
MK2 337l
MK3 354l
MK4 304l

It depends on which source you believe. For example, CarBuyer says MK2 has 399L with seats up.

I definitely don't think the MK3 has a bigger boot than the MK2.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 06:57:29 PM »
We have two MK2s in the family which I drive frequently and my wife has an MK3 sport so can give you my thoughts.

Really interesting to read your thoughts on the different mk of Jazz, 1,2 & 3. You seem well placed given your experience to offer some useful insight. Thank you for taking the time to add so much detail.

I am a fan of the mk3 1.5 Sport. I reckon it looks great, favourite colour being the dark blue given a choice. That said, being value orientated and not fussed about spec, a base model would be fine. Got all the basics one could possibly need or want.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 08:22:53 PM »

MK1 380l
MK2 337l
MK3 354l
MK4 304l

It depends on which source you believe. For example, CarBuyer says MK2 has 399L with seats up.

I definitely don't think the MK3 has a bigger boot than the MK2.
I think the Mk 3 boot is taller but not so deep front to back.  I stand our cases upright in it.

Tags: