Author Topic: clutch fluid change  (Read 2538 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
clutch fluid change
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:34:57 PM »
any people on here didnt bother with the clutch fluid change on the third service when the brake fluid gets changed in the price of the service and the clutch fluid is £40 odd quid more?

i left it as my car only had 14000 miles when it was 3 years old, the fluid is crystal clear but should i have had it done as i know now it is a bleed screw on the clutch itself and not just the brake reservoir itself

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: clutch fluid change
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 05:09:47 PM »
any people on here didnt bother with the clutch fluid change on the third service when the brake fluid gets changed in the price of the service and the clutch fluid is £40 odd quid more?

i left it as my car only had 14000 miles when it was 3 years old, the fluid is crystal clear but should i have had it done as i know now it is a bleed screw on the clutch itself and not just the brake reservoir itself
Clutch fluid is the same for brakes, also the reservoire is the same so during the service both fluids are changed.
In my jazz, clutch judders disapparead after I bled the circuit using the screw on the slave cylinder.
Brake fluids are attacked by humidity, even if they look crystal clear they change their composition and acidity, you can verify this using a cheap tool like this: https://www.amazon.it/Liquido-Automotive-Detection-Detector-attrezzo/dp/B07LH24PTJ/ref=asc_df_B07LH24PTJ/?tag=googshopit-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459410752244&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14065629107691113749&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1008145&hvtargid=pla-942353071350&psc=1 since the humidity modifies the fluid electric conductivity: mine after 4 years was bad even if it was still clear.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:10:15 PM by jazzaro »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 11:51:01 AM »
the brake fluid was changed on the last service but i did not get the extra clutch fluid done as i knew it was on the same reservoir

i dont know if it is worth doing on the next service or leave it until the brake fluid is changed again and then do it at the same time

the clutch is working perfectly at the moment and the car will be 4 years old  in september and currently has 18k miles on it
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 11:57:17 AM by monkeydave »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 01:39:38 PM »
the brake fluid was changed on the last service but i did not get the extra clutch fluid done as i knew it was on the same reservoir

i dont know if it is worth doing on the next service or leave it until the brake fluid is changed again and then do it at the same time

the clutch is working perfectly at the moment and the car will be 4 years old  in september and currently has 18k miles on it
IMHO you can leave it until the next service, the reservoire is the same but there are same walls inside to partially divide the clutch circuit from the brake part (and also this one has a partial separation between the two X circuits).
On the next service, ask for a complete fluid change.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »
My brake fluid has been changed but in 16 years the clutch fluid has never been touched.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:44:14 PM »
My brake fluid has been changed but in 16 years the clutch fluid has never been touched.

Well worth doing, I changed the fluid on the 2008 mk.1 and it improved the clutch feel no end.

The fluid came out a hideous thick, grey-black. If you have the damper fitted, it's at the bottom of the circuit and I can't imagine all this sludge will do it any good. Changing the fluid on the mk.1 using a vacuum bleeder really is a doddle, the bleed nipple is under the air filter box.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 12:02:17 PM »
My Jazz is CVT but my Yaris is manual with an hydraulic clutch. I changed front discs, brake fluid, and bled the clutch when I got the car. It helped the clutch feel and weight (pedal effort/smoothness) significantly.

I despair of some mechanics these days. If you change the brake fluid in a car which uses a common brake/clutch fluid reservoir, it takes literally 2mins to bleed the clutch line and something you'd do as routine so that the new reservoir fluid can't get contaminated with old dirty fluid from the clutch system.
In an ideal world you bleed the system through until nice fresh fluid comes out, then get someone to hold the clutch pedal down and then gently release the bleed nipple and let the slave cylinder leak down which helps purge old fluid out of it. Do that a couple of times and you're fairly sure new fluid will have got into the slave cylinder which is often slightly beyond the bleed nipple, right at the end of the line.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 06:19:58 PM »
its because the brake fluid change was included in the 3rd service but the clutch fluid is £45 more on top of the service even though it is in the same reservoir, that is why i left it

also the mileage was just under 14000 at the time and will probably be around 20000 in september for this years service, that is why i was thinking of getting it done this year even though the clutch feels fine

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 03:33:46 PM »
its because the brake fluid change was included in the 3rd service but the clutch fluid is £45 more on top of the service even though it is in the same reservoir, that is why i left it

If the reservoir is shared, I would expect them to change the brake and clutch fluid at the same time. What's the point of changing the brake fuild, and leaving (potentially) dirty fluid in the clutch? Dirty fluid in the clutch will soon cross contaminate the brake fluid again.

The fluid is hygroscopic, that is it absorbs moisture, hence the 2/3 year time interval is more important than the miles.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 04:15:28 PM »
I've just agreed to pay £20 extra to have my brake fluid changed at the 3 year service/first MOT. I was a bit doubtful it was needed but the summers are pretty hot and humid so perhaps it is a good idea. Brakes are brakes after all.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 04:27:33 PM »
I was a bit doubtful it was needed but the summers are pretty hot and humid so perhaps it is a good idea. Brakes are brakes after all.

Think of brake fluid replacement as a preventative measure. It reduces the chance of corrosion inside brake hydraulics, and bigger repair bills further down the line... you don't want to be replacing a caliper at main dealer prices!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 04:41:24 PM »
I just noticed today, that my Mk 1 has a separate brake and clutch reservoir. Perhaps the first of the Mk 1's had a cable-operated clutch?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 04:51:59 PM »
It is most definitely worth changing brake fluid reasonably regularly. I have seen really manky brown stuff in old cars which have probably never had it changed, it can get very dirty/contaminated.
Personally I like to do a "superficial" change every 3yrs or so on my vehicles, the more frequently it is done the less thorough it needs to be to avoid troublesome deterioration. I take a similar approach with coolant, do a simple drain/refill every 3 or 4 yrs and don't bother with thorough flushing of heater matrix etc., the bulk will always be in "good" condition.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 05:00:32 PM »
I just noticed today, that my Mk 1 has a separate brake and clutch reservoir. Perhaps the first of the Mk 1's had a cable-operated clutch?

my 2004 1.6 civic had a separate brake ad clutch reservoir too, now cars all seem to put them in one

Tags: