Author Topic: Front brake caliper replacement  (Read 7288 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Front brake discs and caliper replacement
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
CP4L have no physical outlets, it's mail order only.
Oh sure, Euros have all the stores with staff to run. However CP4L have the P+P costs and staff to process. Same firm, different models.

The min order value for free p+p is a barrier with CP4L if you only want a couple of bits. That, and having to wait for delivery if you need it today.

Before it all went online, car parts were a right pain to shop for. We have it so easy these days with the various retailers.  :D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Front brake discs and caliper replacement
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
CP4L have no physical outlets, it's mail order only.
However CP4L have the P+P costs and staff to process.

ECP also do mail order, as well as running the physical outlets.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Front brake caliper replacement
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2021, 12:37:22 PM »
Calipers arrived.  Each caliper supplied in plain black box with just stickers attached to one side of the box as visible in attached photos.   A generic A4 instruction sheet is included.

I've fitted the new Right Front caliper to fix original seized caliper issue.  Relatively easy job.

During fitting, I didn't want to clamp the flexible brake hose to stop fluid loss for fear of damaging the hose due to its age (Also, I didn't have a hose clamp....). So I topped up the reservoir and refitted the lid with a piece of thick carrier bag plastic.  No idea if this actually works to hold a vacuum.   When I did finally separate the banjo connection, I quickly wrapped a plastic food bag around it and tied it off.  The bag collected about 5cc by the time I attached the hose to new caliper.   Bled the caliper afterwards.

Here are photos of spare Bremtech Left Front caliper and original steel? aluminium and new copper banjo washers.

Update 20 Feb 2020:  3 weeks has elapsed.   Replaced the other remaining 'working' 13 years old fitted front caliper.

Afterwards, I tried to push the piston of this removed caliper back into the bore but it wouldn't move.   Must be severe corrosion in the bore, and it would likely to have eventually seized up.

The original front pads were also wearing thin.  Last summer when I stripped, cleaned and refitted the 13 year old pads, the pads on the piston side were down to around 3mm, but the ones on the outward side were nearer 5mm.  In hindsight, I should have realised there was an issue with both front calipers, which led to one of them eventually seizing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:36:26 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2021, 12:37:59 PM »
Pack of spare guides I purchased but not installed.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2021, 01:07:14 PM »
Here are photos of spare Bremtech Left Front caliper and original steel? and new copper banjo washers.

The original washers will be aluminium. Prefer copper for brakes, aluminium's a bit soft but cheaper.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2021, 01:28:20 PM »
Photos comparing Honda Nissin to Bremtech.

I had to hold the Honda Nissin caliper steady to take one of the photos.

Comparing the Bremtech to the stock photos for calipers sold by 'AdvantageAutoPartsLtd' on eBay which cost 20 quid less. Only obvious difference I could see were the engravings, and the 'inner' surface of the Bremtech is 'machined' instead of 'cast' finish.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:18:06 PM by bill888 »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2021, 01:31:59 PM »
If you pick out any of them cheap to expensive it’s hard to pick out any difference. My guess is there are only a handful of firms manufacturing the basic castings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
My old Volvo had a dodgy calliper, and this was in the days before the internet. A new calliper was going to cost me more than the car did. The problem was the pistons were chromed, and the chrome was peeling and rusting on the non-fluid side. I took them into my work and asked my fitter mate if he could make me new ones. He did, from stainless steel, plus nothing minus a half. I fitted them back in (didn't even replace seals) and worked great for the rest of the time I owned the car.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:59 PM »
My old Volvo had a dodgy calliper, and this was in the days before the internet. A new calliper was going to cost me more than the car did.

Your mate did you a favour there. Saved a good car from the breakers!  :D That is the thing about pre internet days though, it was so hard to get parts. In our town there were only two factors, and that was it. They closed at 1pm on Saturdays too! Tell kids today eh?

@bill888 Great job and thanks for posting the photos. The Bremtech calipers look decent from the photos.

I didn't want to clamp the flexible brake hose to stop fluid loss for fear of damaging the hose due to its age (Also, I didn't have a hose clamp....). - I have seen long nose mole grips used with bits of hose pipes over the ends to protect the brake hose.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2021, 06:20:17 PM »
I didn't want to clamp the flexible brake hose to stop fluid loss for fear of damaging the hose due to its age (Also, I didn't have a hose clamp....). - I have seen long nose mole grips used with bits of hose pipes over the ends to protect the brake hose.

Not usually needed if you're organised and prepared for a few dribbles. I've seen old hoses bleb after using the clamps.

I took them into my work and asked my fitter mate if he could make me new ones. He did, from stainless steel

What a great idea, great car too!

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2021, 06:26:05 PM »
Changing the subject, a blue EuroCarparts van turned up today with driver attempting to deliver a new Lion car battery to my address.

Except I didn't order one, and even the driver admitted the battery would never fit the Jazz parked outside.

The delivery note had my name and address.  Looks like some sort of screw up, may be relating to my dealings with CP4Less with the 3 failed Pagid caliper orders in previous few days.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2021, 06:29:10 PM »
Changing the subject, a blue EuroCarparts van turned up today with driver attempting to deliver a new Lion car battery to my address.

Except I didn't order one, and even the driver admitted the battery would never fit the Jazz parked outside.

The delivery note had my name and address.  Looks like some sort of screw up, may be relating to my dealings with CP4Less with the 3 failed Pagid caliper orders in previous few days.

Very odd, just make sure it doesn’t end up on your credit card.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2021, 07:01:38 PM »

Screw ups are not unheard of with CP4L. Either you never have a problem, like me, or they make some monumental cock up. They never seem to ask you send stuff back either, so you may as well have accepted it  ;)

Speaking of courier problems, I had a call from the Fedex office in Sheffield today, the driver 'couldn't find my address'. After all the "is it a new build" questions, they seemed delighted when I gave them a street name. I can't see how it will help, there's only one road through the village - that's why it's not in the postal address. They're having another go on Monday, I'm not hopeful.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
Courier workers have a tough time, especialy with everyone ordering online. That and their faux self employment status. I always give them a big smile, say thank you and tell them to drive safely.  :D Quite often they are shocked by someone even acknowledging they exist!

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Front caliper dismantled
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
For anyone who is interested.

I replaced the other working front caliper yesterday, three weeks after replacing a seized front caliper.

I wasn't able to separate the piston from the body of the seized caliper with the limited tools I possess.

I tried to push the piston of the 'working' 13 years old caliper back into its bore, but it wouldn't move.   However, I did separate the piston from the body.  Photos shown below.

There was raised brown rust stuck to the the surface of the stainless steel piston.  This rust is probably preventing the piston from being pushed back into the bore, as I guess it couldn't push pass the visible ring of rust and tight O ring seal within the bore.   I could be wrong.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:24:52 AM by bill888 »

Tags:

anything