Author Topic: Passenger footwell  (Read 13345 times)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Passenger footwell
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
One other possibility of damp inside is a previous repair to the car, was it clear on the HPI check?

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2004
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »
Hi all, after a period of dry weather, everything is dry again and I cannot recreate water ingress - I've tried washing it, pouring water over it etc but still it remains dry. Whether or not I've "accidentally" fixed by trying the things I've done so far I'm not so sure but for now I've put the carpet and trim back and will see how it goes. Thanks to everyone who replied/commented, all very much appreciated  :)

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 12:26:29 AM »
So after a few days of rain it’s back to the drawing board - passenger footwell carpet absolutely sodden and no obvious signs of water ingress, had to literally sponge it out and wring it out. Do I take the passenger door panel off to investigate to see if the plastic membrane is damaged/perished? Where on earth is it coming from it’s driving me mad?!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:13 AM »
I would doubt it being from inside the door, the plastic is only a vapour barrier really. Even without it, the water should run down inside the door glass and drop from the drain holes at the bottom to the outside. It is worth checking the door rubber seal all around, including the top - the water can wick around the seal. Peel the rubbers back on the inside and check for any wet or staining.

In my experience, most wet front footwells are from water coming down the a-pillar or bulkhead from a leak above. They can be pigs to find, you will probably have thought of most of the usual suspects - blocked scuttle drains, windscreen bond, aerial, sunroofs, bulkhead grommets for wiring or heater pipes, etc.. Take the wheelarch liner out and look there and underneath the footwell for any suspect areas, I have found body seam sealer split before, or even missing completely.

The reason the wet is at the bottom is just because that's the point where it collects.The leaks are often so small that they trickle down metalwork in beads and show no trace elsewhere.

You might have to resort to getting the carpets up and and an assistant to apply a hosepipe. Remember, you will only be looking for the odd bead of water, not a gusher.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Passenger footwell maybe fixed!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
Ok so after asking the opinion of one of my mechanic customers on the subject, he said have you tried the sill drains? I obviously hadn't and asked what he meant - he pointed to the 3 screws on the wheel arch (pictured) and said to unscrew them and check behind the splash guard that it wasn't full of muck. This I duly did and to my horror found about 1kg of mud/leaves/sand behind the guard. This blockage would account for the floorpan being wet with no signs of ingress from anywhere, including sitting in the car with my son blasting it with the hosepipe from outside. I've now cleared the blockage, dried out the carpet and under carpet sponge stuff with a hairdyer and given it all a hefty spraying of febreze!! Now fingers crossed thats the end of my wet floor!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
Re: Passenger footwell maybe fixed!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
Ok so after asking the opinion of one of my mechanic customers on the subject, he said have you tried the sill drains? I obviously hadn't and asked what he meant - he pointed to the 3 screws on the wheel arch (pictured) and said to unscrew them and check behind the splash guard that it wasn't full of muck. This I duly did and to my horror found about 1kg of mud/leaves/sand behind the guard. This blockage would account for the floorpan being wet with no signs of ingress from anywhere, including sitting in the car with my son blasting it with the hosepipe from outside. I've now cleared the blockage, dried out the carpet and under carpet sponge stuff with a hairdyer and given it all a hefty spraying of febreze!! Now fingers crossed thats the end of my wet floor!

That's where the scuttle drains I mentioned normally terminate, there are no 'sill drains' as such, the sills are sealed.

The pile of sludge behind the wheelarch liners blocks the flow of water, and the overflow has to go somewhere - and that sometimes is into the cabin via the heater box, or one of the other entries through the bulkhead. You access the other ends of the drains by removing the scuttle trims below the windscreen.

It's a good idea to clear the sludge out periodically, it sits behind the liner and gradually rots the sill ends and wing bottoms from the inside.

All fingers crossed, that's it!  8)

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 12:03:16 PM »
So after the rain yesterday, my wife says this morning "it smells damp in here again", on inspection, the passenger footwell carpet is wet again, and the foam underlay absolutely sodden with water. I've had both sill guard things (behind the front wheels) off and checked - both are clear. Can't believe this problem is back again!! Really fed up as this went on for ages and I was made up when I thought I'd fixed it. Can anyone suggest anything other than buying a new car?!!!!

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
Just another thing - I HAVE had the air con on quite a lot due to the weather and the screen misting up. Don't know whether it's connected to the problem? My mechanic friend said it wouldn't create the amounts of water I'm experiencing but who knows and how would|I check?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
I've had both sill guard things (behind the front wheels) off and checked - both are clear.

Was there anything that looked like scuttle/sunroof/aircon evaporator drain pipes in there? They sometimes need poking through with a wire once they have been blocked at the bottom.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
I've had both sill guard things (behind the front wheels) off and checked - both are clear.

Was there anything that looked like scuttle/sunroof/aircon evaporator drain pipes in there? They sometimes need poking through with a wire once they have been blocked at the bottom.

Thanks Paul - I stuck my hand up inside the wing and felt a rubber hose about 2 inches long coming out of the side of the engine bay. Assuming this to be a drain hose from somewhere,  I pushed a length of cable up it which stuck at first but after a couple of twists allowed me to push about a metre of cable into it but even then there was no sign of my cable anywhere in the engine bay or inside the car. When I pulled the cable out the end was dirty, I only hope I haven't pushed the blockage back up! Have you any ideas what that hose is and where it goes?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:43:23 PM by iceblue »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
Most cars have an under bonnet air intake (remember the open grill ahead of the windscreen on older cars). Rain, leaf debris and other "muck" can access this plenum and there is normally a drain hose (possibly one each side) which allows the water to drain out. This can get blocked with detritus and then it allows rain water to spill over into the car interior. They then need cleaned. See item 13.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:48:23 PM by Jocko »

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
Most cars have an under bonnet air intake (remember the open grill ahead of the windscreen on older cars). Rain, leaf debris and other "muck" can access this plenum and there is normally a drain hose (possibly one each side) which allows the water to drain out. This can get blocked with detritus and then it allows rain water to spill over into the car interior. They then need cleaned. See item 13.

Thanks Jocko, I need to get to the bottom of it as it's doing my head in!! ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
I have no idea if the aircon drain on the Jazz is the same as the Civic but worth a shot,  see attached video there is a rubber hose from bottom of heater that exits through front firewall,  in this case the hose had been dislodged ( maybe by someones foot ) and the condensate was dripping into passenger footwell....

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
Right, I think I've found the problem. In the very far left corner of the passenger footwell was a drip. I've practically got upside down to look up into the space left side of the glovebox and I can see way up high a clear plastic hose where the water is coming from. The problem is that it's so far up there I can't see any way of getting to it, also due to it's position I can't get any photos of it. Does anyone know what this hose is, where the other end is, and how I get to it? Also where should the dripping end be - obviously not inside the car?? Some pics attached.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
Sorry those photos are sideways! If you tilt your head 90 degress left they'll be correct!!

Tags: