Author Topic: Camera for reversing  (Read 1812 times)

mthomas777

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2016
Camera for reversing
« on: June 06, 2023, 08:35:06 PM »
Hi All, I'm interested in installing an auto-vox mirror dash camera, specially for viewing when reversing the car. The Auto-Vox V5 version which has a front and rear camera. Does anyone have experience in installing this and how good it is. If I want to put the rear camera on the outside around the led lights of the number plate but I am not sure how to do this. Would I need to drill a hole to bring the cable/camera through to the outside.
Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTO-VOX-Sepcial-Reversing-Parking-Tracking/dp/B081134XR2/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=uMftm&content-id=amzn1.sym.4bf27ff6-953c-4dfc-b852-0e09e834bd81&pf_rd_p=4bf27ff6-953c-4dfc-b852-0e09e834bd81&pf_rd_r=CZGPXBQEZ08G3VWPP79Z&pd_rd_wg=aPOIG&pd_rd_r=92fb1d7f-9cb6-428e-ae6a-425528cb8def&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 09:48:04 PM by mthomas777 »

Totall

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Fit 2019 GK4 CVT 4WD
Re: Camera for reversing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 07:35:49 AM »
my installation experience is described here  https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/87459-what-did-you-do-your-gk-fit-today-188.html#post1470104 . I am very satisfied with the work.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 08:59:15 AM »
When I looked into mirror systems a few years ago the video display was only a small part of the mirror, maybe half.   But now all adverts seem to show the whole mirror utilised. But is it significant that the images shown always seem to be photoshopped  side views of exotic cars etc, not realistic rear views?     Have the systems really improved this much or is it just the new norm for advertising moral standards  ?  I would want to know more about the real field of view that is displayed. It may be there in the small print. 

If the car has a built in infotainment screen that is  compatible with an aftermarket  reversing camera I think I  would prefer that option .   

I have one as standard on my Mk4 EX. They are very useful and worth the trouble of fitting. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

mthomas777

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 10:44:43 AM »
thanks all for the details. Any one have an idea how i can get the external reversing camera run to the boot door under the led lights of the registration plate. do i need to drill a hole or is there an existing hole i could use. thank you

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 02:13:08 PM »
hi i purchased an auto vox  camera that gave front recording and in reverse gave a camera view basically wish i never bought it the camera  reverse view is very small aprox third  of mirror area you will have to drill a hole to take the cable from the  camera( i put it between the number plate and body work) then take the cable in behind the boot lid cover(remove) down through the cable  gromit rubber along the inside to the reversing light and pick up the live( white cable in my case) and piggy back it and then earth out the other cable/ then  take the cable the whole length of the car along the roof lining to your mirror and  plug in the connector to the top of the mirror also you need to plug in the power cable from cigar lighter along the underneath of the dash again up to the mirror (an absolute pain in th a**)
the problem now comes that you will need a micro sd card for the unit as it will not work without it , you have to keep formatting it as it will keep beeping and send you mad
 my unit failed just after 1 year had to contact autovox direct they were good enough to change it but i had to send back the unit to them with amazon receipt to lithuania  all the p&p paid for by myself nearly £30 after about 8 months the unit failed again contacted autovox and they said it was  hardware problems caused by heat from the windscreen just use it as a dash cam now my advice dont bother too much hassle to install customer service as normal is c*** all done by email advert for the unit is basically nothing like the advertising save yourself  the stress and headache!!!!

mthomas777

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 08:26:09 PM »
hi i purchased an auto vox  camera that gave front recording and in reverse gave a camera view basically wish i never bought it the camera  reverse view is very small aprox third  of mirror area you will have to drill a hole to take the cable from the  camera( i put it between the number plate and body work) then take the cable in behind the boot lid cover(remove) down through the cable  gromit rubber along the inside to the reversing light and pick up the live( white cable in my case) and piggy back it and then earth out the other cable/ then  take the cable the whole length of the car along the roof lining to your mirror and  plug in the connector to the top of the mirror also you need to plug in the power cable from cigar lighter along the underneath of the dash again up to the mirror (an absolute pain in th a**)
the problem now comes that you will need a micro sd card for the unit as it will not work without it , you have to keep formatting it as it will keep beeping and send you mad
 my unit failed just after 1 year had to contact autovox direct they were good enough to change it but i had to send back the unit to them with amazon receipt to lithuania  all the p&p paid for by myself nearly £30 after about 8 months the unit failed again contacted autovox and they said it was  hardware problems caused by heat from the windscreen just use it as a dash cam now my advice dont bother too much hassle to install customer service as normal is c*** all done by email advert for the unit is basically nothing like the advertising save yourself  the stress and headache!!!!
Thank you so much kevinivtec for the details. This is what I was looking for. Out of interest did you get the Auto Vox V5 version? Thanks again for all your help.

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 01:02:36 AM »
yes  i did  as i said waste of money and a nightmare to fit save yourself the stress have now fixed up a reverse camera with my garmin sat nav  simple easy fit and works well thoroughly recommend regards

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 07:35:24 AM »
out of curiousity, has anyone tried mounting a phone and switching on video?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 10:37:42 AM »
out of curiousity, has anyone tried mounting a phone and switching on video?
Not done it myself but  believe quite a few people use mobile phones as dashcams.  However since the  UK regulations regarding using handsfree devices whilst driving was tightened up  you have to be very careful that the way its mounted and used complies with the law.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 11:04:29 AM »
you have to be very careful that the way its mounted and used complies with the law.
As long as you do not touch it while you are driving and it is not interfering with your forward vision, the same as a dedicated dashcam.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 02:26:32 PM »
you have to be very careful that the way its mounted and used complies with the law.
As long as you do not touch it while you are driving and it is not interfering with your forward vision, the same as a dedicated dashcam.

If all the MK4s have hands free then it should not be necessary to touch, thinking of using an "old" model phone to trial.  will post results/opinion of usefulness

mthomas777

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 05:52:48 PM »
yes  i did  as i said waste of money and a nightmare to fit save yourself the stress have now fixed up a reverse camera with my garmin sat nav  simple easy fit and works well thoroughly recommend regards

Thank you so much kevinivtec for the details. Can you please let me know what reverse camera with your garmin sat nav you purchased please? thank you so much.

Tags: