Author Topic: Android Nav while listening to other audio  (Read 646 times)

jet_noise

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4
Android Nav while listening to other audio
« on: August 25, 2022, 01:34:35 PM »
Mrs Noise is collecting a new Mk4 SR next week and I, as the nearest thing to a family techie, have been tasked with investigating 'phone integration. I've not used Android auto before.

Her nav preference is TomTom and that's installed OK.
I assume if streaming tunes from the 'phone the nav app interrupts with directions. I use Google maps and it behaves in that way.
However is it possible to listen to any other audio source e.g. radio and retain either or both of visual and audible nav instructions?
I see from the manual that a USB source e.g. memory stick is explicitly disabled.

Oh, and hello as a Worcestershire & Highlands newbie :)

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
Re: Android Nav while listening to other audio
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 01:45:36 PM »
Mrs Noise is collecting a new Mk4 SR next week and I, as the nearest thing to a family techie, have been tasked with investigating 'phone integration. I've not used Android auto before.

I assume if streaming tunes from the 'phone the nav app interrupts with directions. I use Google maps and it behaves in that way.
However is it possible to listen to any other audio source e.g. radio and retain either or both of visual and audible nav instructions?
I see from the manual that a USB source e.g. memory stick is explicitly disabled.

Google maps gives audio directions and fades the radio as it does so, and the map remains visible throughout. (Though, Android seems to change the volume of the instructions at random times.  The settings for navigation volume are under General Settings/system/navigation.) I have rarely used the pre-installed satnav but I don't think that it works differently.

jet_noise

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 02:01:37 PM »

Google maps gives audio directions and fades the radio as it does so, and the map remains visible throughout. (Though, Android seems to change the volume of the instructions at random times.  The settings for navigation volume are under General Settings/system/navigation.) I have rarely used the pre-installed satnav but I don't think that it works differently.
SR models don't get an inbuilt nav, do they?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 02:06:41 PM »
I use wireless Android Auto Google Maps while listening to USB music. EX model though.

As mentioned, it reduces the audio volume, issues the navigation command, then resumes audio volume.

I think the navigation is issued just from the driver's front speaker. I don't use nav commands that often as most of my journeys I know the route so it's been a while.

You can use the volume controls to adjust the nav voice whilst it's talking/active to fine tune it.
Let's be careful out there !

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 05:10:05 PM »

Good point.  But I wouldn't expect the uploaded satnav to behave differently.

jet_noise

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 10:28:37 AM »

Good point.  But I wouldn't expect the uploaded satnav to behave differently.
OK.
I'm used to Bluetooth 'phone connections so no Android auto. In that case it seems a "feature" that nav using an audio channel does not interrupt the radio.
With wired and AA you are suggesting more helpful behaviour.

Tags: