Author Topic: D or B!  (Read 11685 times)

PWV

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: New Jazz Hybrid
Re: D or B!
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2022, 06:02:45 PM »
Some really good points and economy doesn't appear to be affected for some people whether in B or D.
From my experience of living in a flat area I notice the battery charge increases quickly when on the hills, so I wonder if economy is better if a person has a longish hill (s) in their normal routine
I drive in D most of the time.
I Use B if necessary to slow down on hills, and when I can see I will need to stop eg slow traffic, roundabouts etc to increase regeneration and save on brake pads.
I find I notice immediately when I have not switched back to D on lifting my foot off the accelerator.
The manual tells us not to change the gear selector when accelerating - not clear as to what that actually means so I don't do it.
It also allows some changes without pressing the selector button eg D to B and B to D
I also use ECCO mode all the time as of yet.
On my two refills 946 miles and 68 litres over a period of twelve weeks. Mainly urban flat. Motorway a couple of journeys about thirty miles.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2022, 09:28:09 PM »
Some really good points and economy doesn't appear to be affected for some people whether in B or D.
From my experience of living in a flat area I notice the battery charge increases quickly when on the hills, so I wonder if economy is better if a person has a longish hill (s) in their normal routine
I drive in D most of the time.
I Use B if necessary to slow down on hills, and when I can see I will need to stop eg slow traffic, roundabouts etc to increase regeneration and save on brake pads.
I find I notice immediately when I have not switched back to D on lifting my foot off the accelerator.
The manual tells us not to change the gear selector when accelerating - not clear as to what that actually means so I don't do it.
It also allows some changes without pressing the selector button eg D to B and B to D
I also use ECCO mode all the time as of yet.
On my two refills 946 miles and 68 litres over a period of twelve weeks. Mainly urban flat. Motorway a couple of journeys about thirty miles.
Just love the car..EX model.

Have had it for 11 weeks, covered 1950 miles, and it’s showing 75.6 MPG., and increasing.
Just my pennyworth..... Run it in economy for 97% of the time. Occasionally, with the throttle quarter open, and holding it there, I switch off the economy button, to experience the increased acceleration. Very impressed! I suppose I use the B mode 90% of the time, but have been known to knock it into neutral, on the occasional steep hill, as the retardation was too strong, and D, has too little. I return to B at the bottom of the hill, for the 90% bend. Having read the manual, I did not spot the section where it states that you should not change the gear selector, whilst accelerating. The page number would be good. Thanks.
Anyone think that neutral is a problem? It’s hardly going to wreck the non existent gearbox!

Mark Dirac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 4 2021
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2022, 10:22:46 PM »
Having read the manual, I did not spot the section where it states that you should not change the gear selector, whilst accelerating. The page number would be good. Thanks.
It's on page 400. It's puzzling - it's an incidental sidenote. Almost a throw-away comment. I suspect they mean not to accelerate hard whilst moving the shifter. Because, I cannot think of any reason what damage could possibly be done by moving the shifter whilst moving (forward!).

The text is:
Do not operate the shift lever while pressing the accelerator pedal. You could damage the transmission.

Could anyone suggest please how damage could occur?

Anyone think that neutral is a problem? It’s hardly going to wreck the non existent gearbox!
I too have wondered about this. Again, what on earth problem could be caused by shifting to N??

Years ago we were taught not to drive in neutral in case of brake failure, or inadequate brake force. But that's not an issue here - that's not the reason. Perhaps some people are anxious at shifting to N because of this warning from their driving instructor years/decades ago?

And here's a third puzzle - on page 27 we are shown that we can move the shifter from B to D to N without pressing the release button, yet to shift from D to B we do have to press the button. Why on earth?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2022, 07:14:41 AM »
I too have wondered about this. Again, what on earth problem could be caused by shifting to N??

Years ago we were taught not to drive in neutral in case of brake failure, or inadequate brake force. But that's not an issue here - that's not the reason. Perhaps some people are anxious at shifting to N because of this warning from their driving instructor years/decades ago?

I’ll have a go at that (doubtless other viewpoints are available). There’s lots of opinions about this on the interweb, but this seems like a good summary:
https://www.mercedes-benzsouthwest.co.uk/blog/are-you-coasting-towards-more-repairs
Some of those points only apply to manual cars, but for me the issue is in the final section “Is it dangerous?” which is just as applicable to autos and hybrids as manuals. If, whilst driving, I come across a situation that requires fast reactions, I don’t want to be faffing around with the gear shift or dealing with the absence of retardation from the engine/motor. If the Highway Code says “Don’t do it” that’s good enough for me.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2022, 09:55:10 AM »
I've always understood it to be illegal in Britain to be in neutral while driving.

On a manual car, you are likely to loose grip on the road if braking hard with the clutch down. Same would apply to an automatic in neutral.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:56:45 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Mark Dirac

• Approved Member
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2022, 12:24:59 PM »
I've always understood it to be illegal in Britain to be in neutral while driving.
Thanks Neil. I'd be fascinated if someone knows enough about the Jazz's box of gears* to explain technically why N might be a problem. And technically, why Honda advise against accelerating whilst shifting.

*We know the Jazz doesn't have a gearbox, but it does have a box of gears.

Perhaps something in there, perhaps on the clutch, doesn't like N for too long?

guest9814

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2022, 01:20:40 PM »
When you select N during acceleration you will disconnect power from electric engine, you can push to the metal nothing will happen car will not accelerate but thins our electrical motor have permanent magnets on rotor and still connected to reduction gearbox and wheels it will still generate plenty of electricity when car mooving without any load and that mean voltage may be too high for isolation in motor and inverter  and can lead to electric isolation break in motor stator at least, but when car standstill our i-mmd will still provide charge to HV battery, so for standstill P or N no matter but when car moving forward only D or B.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2022, 08:49:57 PM »
B with limiter around town. (But never the sign recognition limiter: too many false alarms from side roads.)

D on highways and motorways, with ACC and LKAS as needed.

In both modes, light pressure on the brake pedal uses regeneration first, but heavier pressure also uses the brake pads. They're also used when you're slowing the last couple of mph to a complete stop. Now the car is a little older I can hear the slight grinding sound as the brakes engage.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2022, 03:16:09 PM »
I've now got over 12k miles on the clock and it's showing 68.1 mpg over that total mileage ('B' trip has never been reset since the car was new)
All of those miles have been in 'B' mode except where ACC was required (not very often)
Yes. I can get into the 80s of even 90s on the odd trip, but in my opinion what matters is the overall total average.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2022, 03:27:10 PM »
Needs dusting :D
Let's be careful out there !

Mark Dirac

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2022, 04:48:11 PM »
All of those miles have been in 'B' mode except where ACC was required (not very often)
Can anyone think of the reason why Honda don't allow cruise control in B mode??

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
B with limiter around town. (But never the sign recognition limiter: too many false alarms from side roads.)

I agreed totally, he intelligent speed limiter does pick up speed signs and I found it almost deadly when it detected a 30mph on the adjacent slip off road on the A55 at Colwyn Bay which is a 50mph dual carriageway, I had sudden braking from 50mph with the system trying to drop to 30mph and nearly got smashed into from behind. Dam DANGEROUS!
Always just use the cruise control now…….guys, you have been warned!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2022, 05:54:45 PM »
I had sudden braking from 50mph with the system trying to drop to 30mph ...

Can you confirm that the system actually applies the brakes.  If so it is downright dangerous.  On the MKIII it just removes the power, so the car would gradually reduce in speed.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2022, 07:21:33 PM »
I had sudden braking from 50mph with the system trying to drop to 30mph ...

Can you confirm that the system actually applies the brakes.  If so it is downright dangerous.  On the MKIII it just removes the power, so the car would gradually reduce in speed.

I've experienced this in my Mk3, and won't use the system again. Even though it doesn't apply the brakes, if you're travelling at 50mph or above and the car decides to cut the gas instantly, believe me the deceleration is not gradual and moreover doesn't give the following car the cue of your brake lights. If the Mk4 actually applies the brakes and causes the brake lights to activate, that's an improvement.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2022, 07:40:06 PM »
Can anyone think of the reason why Honda don't allow cruise control in B mode??
Probably because the high level of retardation in 'B' mode would conflict with the ACC?
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Tags:

anything