Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 697059 times)

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1845 on: December 31, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
If you’re thinking of buying an MG5, wait for the European facelift next year - they’re adding Pilot, a load of active safety stuff and most likely better crumple zones.

The current MG5 is literally a Roewe with UK plates - there’s a reason they won’t put it through NCAP.

Same with the ZS vs the eZS - the eZS has a ton of euro specific safety additions.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1846 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
Range anxiety is one of the issues for me with EV's, that and the problems with finding a working charger when I need one.

I took this photo yesterday. Surely has to be every Tesla drivers dream.  :D

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #1847 on: January 01, 2021, 12:01:53 PM »
According to "Which", during 2020, car enquiries/searches on their website were dominated by hybrid and electric vehicles. Apparently those related to petrol and diesel cars did not appear in the top six numerically.
On Parkers site owners' reviews of non current Leafs seem to show an average range of c60 miles which would seem to appeal only to a fairly specific sector of the market (e.g. Jocko, if his move comes off).

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #1848 on: January 01, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »
@Westy yeah, Tesla removes the range anxiety and charger availability barrier. Unfortunately the cars are expensive and unreliable.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1849 on: January 04, 2021, 01:06:15 PM »
I have signed up to the MG5 forum, and I am finding some interesting information.

One guy replaced his Volvo X90 with an MG5 and was impressed with the quality of the MG. Another contributor suggested he would have been cheaper buying a nearly new Volvo X40. He replied that he saves £265/month in fuel (the difference between petrol and electricity). This almost covers his car payments—something I have never considered for high mileage motorists.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1850 on: January 04, 2021, 01:50:54 PM »
Another contributor suggested he would have been cheaper buying a nearly new Volvo X40. He replied that he saves £265/month in fuel (the difference between petrol and electricity). This almost covers his car payments—something I have never considered for high mileage motorists.

Even for lower mileage owners, the fuel savings must be factored in to ongoing ownership costs. Fuel cost are the single biggest cost of running a vehicle, and there are significant savings to be made if you are organised. Some can even charge at home for free if they have solar panels or wind turbines.

Have you seen the news that there's a cheaper small MG EV that's on the cards Jocko?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/mg-poised-launch-compact-electric-hatchback
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:53:03 PM by sparky Paul »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1851 on: January 04, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »
Even for lower mileage owners, the fuel savings must be factored in to ongoing ownership costs. Fuel cost are the single biggest cost of running a vehicle, and there are significant savings to be made if you are organised. Some can even charge at home for free if they have solar panels or wind turbines.
Whilst I could charge at home for 5p/kWh using the Octopus Go tariff (but limited to 4 hours at night) what put me off is the typically 30p/kWh rate for using public chargers. Assuming 4 miles per kWh that's 7.5p/mile (not allowing for power losses) which is in the same cost range as I was seeing for my Crosstar during the summer when most of my miles are travelled (ie 70mpg at about £1.15p per litre). More than half my annual miles is on longer trips where I would need to use public chargers. EVs, however, can provide a substantial running cost saving for commuters whose daily journey is well within the vehicles's range and ability to charge using cheap night-time electricity.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1852 on: January 04, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
Whilst I could charge at home for 5p/kWh using the Octopus Go tariff (but limited to 4 hours at night) what put me off is the typically 30p/kWh rate for using public chargers.

I agree, public charging can be crippling, although the prices are all over the place. For example, the nearest public chargers to me are in the local town centre car park, at 20p/KWh or 12p if you are a BP Pulse member, or Shell Recharge on the A1 at 39p/KWh  :o

In East Midlands area, I can get a 2 year fixed economy 7 tariff with edf at 6.29p for night units, obviously that's for 7 hours... but the real savings are to be made with their own microgeneration.

EVs, however, can provide a substantial running cost saving for commuters whose daily journey is well within the vehicles's range and ability to charge using cheap night-time electricity.

That's more or less where I fit in, I would say well over 95% of journeys are reasonably local and within the range of a modest EV. Although I did say my other car will do 800+ miles on a tank filling, I make only a few journeys a year where that is in any way useful.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #1853 on: January 04, 2021, 04:31:01 PM »
The maths work for high mileage drivers. For folk who do little miles like myself, there isn’t much in it. The Tesla would eat £12 of electricity just sat idle plugged in every month, for example. Petrol cars don’t leak fuel on your driveway.

Even when my home charging became free, it was still so much more convenient to spend five minutes and £40 chucking fuel in the tank than it was to deal with unreliable home charging and having to charge at destination.

Right now, I put fuel in the tank, I’m good for 500 miles (4 months +) and have no hassle.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1854 on: January 04, 2021, 06:08:59 PM »
Another contributor suggested he would have been cheaper buying a nearly new Volvo X40. He replied that he saves £265/month in fuel (the difference between petrol and electricity). This almost covers his car payments—something I have never considered for high mileage motorists.

Have you seen the news that there's a cheaper small MG EV that's on the cards Jocko?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/mg-poised-launch-compact-electric-hatchback

Depreciation is often a higher cost especially with a low mileage car bought from new.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1855 on: January 04, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »
I will certainly look at what MG is offering when I come to buy. I like the range of the MG5. I also like the big car having nearly always owned big cars. Despite my missus and I having driven one and a half times around the equator in the Jazz my wife still pines for our Volvo S40.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #1856 on: January 05, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
Well, according to this, MG's market share is increasing rapidly. No doubt helped by their electric cars. MG are approaching Honda UK market share %.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/winners-and-losers-2020-uk-car-market?utm_source=20210105&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=&utm_content=ACAR%20ENews%20Bulletin%20-%20SUBS%20AD%20V5%20(TUESDAY)%20(42)::hero_readmore

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #1857 on: January 05, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »
@Westy yeah, Tesla removes the range anxiety and charger availability barrier. Unfortunately the cars are expensive and unreliable.

Indeed. I had a look on Autotrader at used prices. Even with 6 figure mileages, they are very expensive. Not even close to the amount of money I am prepared to spend on a car.

Re reliability, the aftermarket warranty companies will have some good data in the near future, so we can find out what they really cost.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1858 on: January 05, 2021, 04:50:36 PM »

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #1859 on: January 05, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
@Westy they go wrong from new, so most likely the car will already have been fixed/returned by later in its life. Either that or the issues appear and disappear with software. They won’t ever see a normal garage - drivetrain and oily bits are fine - the PDI process and software are the questionable part.

Tags:

anything