Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 700655 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1950 on: January 23, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
Because I read an implication in your comment that people who live in terraced houses (and flats, and other types of older high-density accommodation) were considered second-rate when it comes to EV ownership.

Nothing implied at all, you chose to read 'demographic' as meaning poor people.

As for the podpoint article, that's interesting but has all kinds of holes in it.

Obviously, podpoint just want to flog their charging installations. However, I would think it fairly logical to assume that those people who choose to live in a home without parking facilities would be less likely to be drivers.

I think the data comes from here originally, but the link was the best thing I could find that was reasonably digestible.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/6748/2173483.pdf

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1951 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »
As most new cars are stolen by stealing the keys or careless left cards for keyless entry by signal relaying the chances of either happening are slim if you live 200 yards from where your car is parked. There is nothing to stop your car being vandalised, but that can happen in your drive. If someone tries to cut the cable, then the damage would be to the charger, not your own cable.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #1952 on: January 23, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »
[However, I would think it fairly logical to assume that those people who choose to live in a home without parking facilities would be less likely to be drivers.

Well, that’s an interesting viewpoint. I chose to live where I do because it is convenient for work, schools, shopping, and social life. And I’m pretty sure that applies to most of the people who live around me. Very few chose to live here because they don’t own a car. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want the convenience of a car, and it’s infuriating that current planning seems hell-bent on taking that convenience away by making EV ownership very difficult. Maybe that’s the aim.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1953 on: January 23, 2021, 03:32:41 PM »
I chose to live where I do because it is convenient for work, schools, shopping, and social life. And I’m pretty sure that applies to most of the people who live around me.

I choose to live where i do to get away from all those things ;D

Very few chose to live here because they don’t own a car.

That is subtly different to what I'm saying, which is that you would be more likely to consider living somewhere with no parking if you didn't own a car. If you did own a car, then surely living in a home without any parking is going to be less attractive, thus naturally skewing the demographic towards non-drivers. Does that make sense?

The study I linked to bears this out. If you look at the housing survey document, fig. 2.10 on page 39 shows that households owning no cars are twice as likely to have no access to adequate parking.

Parking was not necessarily an issue for all households because 23% did not have a car. In general, the more cars a household had, the more likely they were to have a garage or other off street parking. About 6% of households had 3 or more cars and 91% of these had a garage or off street parking provision. Around 14% of households with one car and 7% with two cars had no or inadequate street parking

I think everyone must know people who live in town or city and don't even own a car - public transport services their daily needs, and they could hire a car if they need one. However, public transport should be cheap, reliable and comfortable for it to be an effective alternative, and I believe we lost our way many years ago.

...that doesn’t mean I don’t want the convenience of a car, and it’s infuriating that current planning seems hell-bent on taking that convenience away by making EV ownership very difficult. Maybe that’s the aim.

I agree, and I can understand your frustration, but the biggest barriers to home charging are primarily practical considerations. I guess that once fast commercial charging infrastructure is better established, it will become less of a headache, but it will increase the running costs for those who cannot charge at home. The ability to refuel your car while it sits on your drive is a relatively new concept, and unfortunately there's currently no convenient answer for those without those facilities.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #1954 on: January 25, 2021, 06:09:56 AM »
Let's be careful out there !

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #1955 on: January 25, 2021, 01:56:17 PM »
A slightly ironic image considering us mk4 owners drive cars that do exactly what is pictured above  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1956 on: January 25, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »
A slightly ironic image considering us mk4 owners drive cars that do exactly what is pictured above  :D
Except the Mk 4 Jazz doesn't carry a sticker claiming it doesn't use gasoline. ;D
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1957 on: January 26, 2021, 01:17:40 PM »
Another new entry to the van market.  "Peugeot expands electric van range with new e-Partner"

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/van-news/2021/01/26/peugeot-expands-electric-van-range-with-new-e-partner

Interesting trim level names, "Professional and Asphalt". They clearly have Motorway Maintenance contractors in mind !!  :D :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1958 on: January 26, 2021, 08:02:48 PM »

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1960 on: February 04, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
Apple is reportedly nearing a deal to build its autonomous electric car with Hyundai.
Given Apple's recent design strategy to reduce to zero the number of connections on iPhones and iPads, and to reduce the upgradeability to zero, I really hope they don't intend their car strategy to be the same!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1961 on: February 04, 2021, 05:16:55 PM »
Apple is reportedly nearing a deal to build its autonomous electric car with Hyundai.
Given Apple's recent design strategy to reduce to zero the number of connections on iPhones and iPads, and to reduce the upgradeability to zero, I really hope they don't intend their car strategy to be the same!

Apple cars will be incapable of being upgrades when they are seven years old (and therefore unsafe)  and will be hackable by a 15 year old student.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1962 on: February 04, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »

Apple cars will be incapable of being upgrades when they are seven years old (and therefore unsafe)  and will be hackable by a 15 year old student.

I'm laughing but I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro next to my iPad Pro and my iPhone X. Yes, I am a mug.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #1963 on: February 04, 2021, 05:48:34 PM »
Apple cars will also come with unique bolts and fixings in an attempt to stop repairs. Sell like hot cakes though like everything else thay make.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1964 on: February 12, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
Ford has also announced an all electric van for 2022.

https://www.ford.co.uk/future-vehicles/new-e-transit#

And Amazon's latest TV advert shows their new Mercedes EV vans.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/28/amazon-orders-1800-mercedes-electric-delivery-vans-for-eu-and-uk/
https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/vans/en/e-sprinter-panel-van

They must be using these vans for (non ) delivery of parcels in our area, parcel not delivered on Tuesday, not delivered on Wednesday,  not delivered Thursday, promised today LOL......If not delivered today I get a refund.   Parcels that come by Royal mail and parcel force arriving fine, early if anything..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: