Author Topic: Michelin Tyres  (Read 4610 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Michelin Tyres
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »
Second question. 231,000 is a hell of a mileage by any standard, especially when you consider the stop start driving. Have you had any significant issues through wear and tear? Curious to know how it has held up.

You will never wear a Honda engine out, that is for sure.  My first Civic (1996 Rover 400 shape) did around 190,000 and engine was perfect on emissions, starting and used no oil between changes (never had a problem with gearbox or anything else, never had to replace a wheel bearing either,  but they still used taper roller then instead of deep groove ball bearings) - still original clutch, alternator aircon compressor etc. changed rear brake shoes (drum brakes) once at about 120K, only thing wrong was rust in rear wheel arches,  so traded it in for my first Jazz, in which I covered 120,000. 

Another Honda engined car - company runabout / delivery vehicle around 1998 to 2002 Rover with a 1.3 Honda engine (Rover 213 ?? the 216 had the Rover engine,  not nearly as good).  The 213 did 350,000 miles (a lot of stop-start in Birmingham) and then a company employee bought it and put quite a few more on it - no engine work required except cambelt changes.

If you look on USA websites for mega mileage cars or such Honda feature quite prominently.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:57:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »

Second question. 231,000 is a hell of a mileage by any standard, especially when you consider the stop start driving. Have you had any significant issues through wear and tear? Curious to know how it has held up.

You will never wear a Honda engine out, that is for sure. 

Thanks. That's encouraging. I have been humming and hawing about whether to get the gearbox bearings done on my Jazz which now has 63,000 on the clock. The body work is a bit below par with a few little dings and the odd chip here and there but it seems mechanically sound. Leaky wheel rims but that seems to be common. I think the EGR was a bit 'iffy' in low gears at low RPM when I first got it but has certainly improved after a workout. Usual dilemma of good money after bad but if it has a good chance of getting to 100 not out, it might make sense to get the bearings fixed.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »
I use all seasons Nexen N'Priz 4S for my Jazz as I think it will benefit the running on my driving school.  They are not readily available in the UK but I get them from Openo Tyres or on eBay around £38. They seems to last quite long and are steady on ice and light snow. Unfortunately haven't had the chance to test them on proper snow due to mild winters in recent years.

As for Michelin, I am currently running a set of CrossClimate on my Seat Ibiza. They costs more and to be fair haven't noticed much difference between the Nexen ones!

The benefits of All Seasons Tyres are that they are suited to the UK climate and you don't need to have two sets of tyres in one go.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
The benefits of All Seasons Tyres are that they are suited to the UK climate and you don't need to have two sets of tyres in one go.

Problem with 'all-season' anything is that it will have to be a compromise,  and one of the reasons I like steel wheels with winters on is that unlike 'wide-open' alloy wheels, the steel wheels almost totally shield the brakes from the winter salt and crud, and steel rims are easy to repaint if they do get corrosion, a big bonus is not exposing expensive alloy wheels to salt and possible (inevitable) kerbing due to icy roads.   I have really noticed how much better the condition of brakes is after winter,  especially the rear ones.  The other is it saves wear on summer tyres, although this is not free mileage because you have paid for winters. 

At less than 5 years old I had to get my Civic wheels refurbished due to under-bead corrosion (I had no kerbing damage at all)  due to OEM balance weights being the steel 'knock on' type rather than the adhesive ones used by good tyre fitters on alloys.  Add a bit of winter salt to steel and alloy mixture and you have made a battery, which will corrode away happily under the tyre bead.

My Nokian WR D3 winters are also quieter and a more comfortable ride than the Michelin ES summers on the Civic last year,  I have Avon ZV7 summers now, and probably Nokians will be no noisier and a softer ride.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:04:24 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: