Author Topic: Deceiving gradients  (Read 687 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Deceiving gradients
« on: August 17, 2019, 01:04:18 PM »
We are all aware of deceiving gradients, like "The Electric Brae" on the west coast of Scotland (A719 near Culzean Bay), but there are many other examples we probably all pass every day. They are just much more subtle.
One example I pass on a regular basis, is a hollow where, when it rains, the water gathers not in the perceived "bottom" of the hollow, but on the up-slope. Another example is on the A720 Edinburgh City Bypass. As you climb the hill, southbound/eastbound towards the Dreghorn junction, the car starts to pick up speed before the summit. And if you dip the clutch it still continues to pick up speed! I can think of many other examples of flat sections that are actually downhill, downhill sections that are flat, and the like. I am sure you can think of some near you.

Lemmydog

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1.3CVT
Re: Deceiving gradients
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »
Hiya,
Yes, I am up and down the A9 quite a bit and notice similar things. I keep an eye on the 'instant fuel' readout and it often runs up to the 90mpg end of the scale on parts of the road that look slightly uphill. Pretty sure this means a bit of a down grade.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Deceiving gradients
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
Up until 2012 we were living in Glossop on the edge of the Peak District. Our friend told us a little known fact (that I verified with Google) that the A57 at Dinting, just a mile from the Town Hall was crossed by a huge rail bridge and that bridge was at the same altitude as the town hall steps! Driving from the bridge at Dinting you are only aware of a slight slope as you approach the town centre. Incredible.

Tags:

anything