Author Topic: Flooding in Edinburgh  (Read 1699 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Flooding in Edinburgh
« on: August 08, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
BBC News Story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-49275630/determined-cyclist-makes-it-through-flood-water-in-edinburgh

Watching this cyclist riding through a flood is interesting. What is more interesting is seeing the numptys in their cars who are stuck in it.

How stupid do you have to be to attempt to drive though a flooded area if you don't know how deep it is?

People forget that they are low down in most cars and they can easily get swamped.

When we had the terrible floods in the Calder Valley a few years back, arrogant twits in their 4x4s were speeding through the floods with an 'I'm alright jack' attitude, or possibly 'I'm important, I can help, I'm going to rescue somebody' thought in their heads. What they were actually doing was creating a bow wave which created further flooding and damage to properties on either side of the road.

Here's a clue - cars are for roads, boats are for water.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Flooding in Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
And numpties you find everywhere.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:38:10 AM »
When I worked in Greenock, flooding was commonplace. One of my mates, with a Renault 25, was easing through a large puddle when a bus, travelling in the opposite direction, swept through without reducing speed. The bow wave it created was high enough to flood the air intake on the Renault (quite low on the 25), and the resulting hydraulic lock wrecked his engine.
Another work mate, with his 4x4, mounted the pavement and proceeded though deep water past a road closed sign. A police officer was waiting at the other side and nobbled him. The same officer had booked him two days previously, for a minor speeding offence. so needless to say he threw the book at him! We all had a good laugh!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
"The same officer had booked him two days previously, for a minor speeding offence. so needless to say he threw the book at him! We all had a good laugh!"

As I said earlier. Numpties you find everywhere.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
BBC News Story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-49275630/determined-cyclist-makes-it-through-flood-water-in-edinburgh

Watching this cyclist riding through a flood is interesting. What is more interesting is seeing the numptys in their cars who are stuck in it.

How stupid do you have to be to attempt to drive though a flooded area if you don't know how deep it is?

...or where the manhole covers have been lifted off!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:00:11 PM »
Rather than start another thread I will add to this one - it is weather related..

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

this looks interesting,  weather radar updated every 5 minutes with resolution of 500 metres so you can zoom in to your area..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »
Rather than start another thread I will add to this one - it is weather related..

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

this looks interesting,  weather radar updated every 5 minutes with resolution of 500 metres so you can zoom in to your area..

Been using that for years, it's very handy.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »
I love the 'Dark Skies' app. It is very localised and spookily accurate. I use it to decide when to head out for a run (on my feet, not in the car).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
I see the flood was on an  underpass under  a flyover. Same here  in Stoke on Trent - flooding in low lying roads with water streaming down roads and drains incapable of handling water volumes....  You are unable to  judge water depth ...And numpties drive too fast..

Manged to drive Jazz slowly through 400mms water when going to beekeeping two weeks ago.. Very slowly - and grilles under front bumper were blocked with leaves. You could tell when deep - fanbelt made gurgling noises and started squeeking...  BUT total length of flooded section only 15 meters approx  .. as opposed to underpasses 50 to 100 meters.. so depth guesstimate easier..

No new 4x4s on roads - too wide for it - single track with passing spaces,

In winter of 2011 , local driver of Totota RAV4 4x4 was killed on ice down hill  - slid into river and drowned...Summer tyres on..

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 10:24:45 AM »
slid into river and drowned...Summer tyres on..
Interesting. Bought one of those window smashing hammers with a seat belt cutter the other day. I reckoned at £6 it was worth the money.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
slid into river and drowned...Summer tyres on..
Interesting. Bought one of those window smashing hammers with a seat belt cutter the other day. I reckoned at £6 it was worth the money.

I believe these hammers are a legal requirement in Holland.

Tags:

anything