Author Topic: Ethanol in Petrol  (Read 1131 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Ethanol in Petrol
« on: July 29, 2019, 09:40:30 PM »
https://armchairbiker.com/ethanol-in-petrol-what-classic-bikers-need-to-know/

Anyone with older cars and motorbikes or even chainsaws and motor mowers should be aware of effect Ethanol can have on fuel system. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Ethanol in Petrol
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:08:33 PM »
An all party parliamentary group have just recommended that we increase the amount of Ethanol in fuel from the current 5% to 10%, as used in the US, with all the problems they have over there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49003496

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »
Seems like a real dumb idea to use farmland  and chop / burn down rainforest to grow fuel - have the lunatics finally got the keys to the asylum...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »
Seems like a real dumb idea to use farmland  and chop / burn down rainforest to grow fuel - have the lunatics finally got the keys to the asylum...

With that I concur, the amount of good farmland being used to grow stuff to burn around here is staggering.

At least the solar panel farms end up on poor land, and the sheep don't seem to mind the shade.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »

Never thought burning food in cars was the brightest idea the human race has had.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
I don't know if I remember this correctly, but I'm sure once read somewhere that we would need the land surface of seven planet earths to replace all the mineral oil used with biofuel. I don't think that's going to fly.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
I don't know if I remember this correctly, but I'm sure once read somewhere that we would need the land surface of seven planet earths to replace all the mineral oil used with biofuel. I don't think that's going to fly.

That's quite interesting - the use of the word fly - I read a book by Mike Berners Lee (a physicist and brother of Tim) and in this he argues that any bio fuel should be reserved for aviation because, unlike cars, ships etc, there is no alternative to hydro carbons as a means of propulsion (Elon Musk is on the case LOL!)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
Didn't the US and USSR experiment with nuclear powered aircraft? There's a scary thought!

Tags: