Author Topic: Road surfaces  (Read 1739 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Road surfaces
« on: June 23, 2019, 07:18:07 PM »
We are all well aware that there are a variety of different road surfaces out there, and I don't mean potholes or no potholes! Some are smooth, some are rough and noisy. There are large areas of Shell Grip anti skid asphalt around here, but so often it is repaired with ordinary asphalt.
What made me think about this now is they have just resurfaced a large area of of the A92 near me, and the new surface is smooth and whisper quiet. It is black, but showing signs of red, as the tyres mature it. I am wondering if it is one of these new surfaces, made from recycled tyres or such like. It is more like AshFELT than asphalt!
There is another strip of tarmac, in my step-daughter's street, which makes it feel like you have a puncture, And it is a 20 mph zone. Perhaps it is for traffic management, but if it is it is the only measure, and not for the full street.
What surfaces do you experience in your regular motoring?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Road surfaces
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
On trips to North Wales to visit friends from time to time, we come across the odd stretch of concrete dual carriageway, it always makes a droning sound. I haven't seen any new roads recently made from concrete and some of it has been covered by tarmac since but some stretches remain. It does seem very durable.

Also, there has been some resurfacing of main roads in the Warrington area and the new stuff is very smooth and quiet so must be similar to that described by Jocko.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
Concrete roads will last 50 years and rarely if ever get potholes. Tarmac acts like pastry when tyres ( rolling pin ) goes over it and spreads, the kerbstones are there to try and stop it spreading but you still get ruts. Concrete road surface is great for night driving, I remember a stretch of concrete road with reflective stones in it in South Africa out in the country, where at night it is totally pitch black, the road was great for driving on as you headlights showed up really well on the light coloured surface. Once you had been on dirt roads in Africa even the most rutted and potholed 'all weather' road felt like a dream....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
The later stages f the M90 were originally concrete but they have resurfaced it with tarmac now.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 09:57:05 PM »
We travel to Bridlington, several times each year.
 I always get a buzz of pride, when driving along the M18, near to the M62.

I made the plate, which formed the randomly spaced grooves in the concrete surface. In 1972.
 And.... The road surface is still good as new!
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
We travel to Bridlington, several times each year.
 I always get a buzz of pride, when driving along the M18, near to the M62.

I made the plate, which formed the randomly spaced grooves in the concrete surface. In 1972.
 And.... The road surface is still good as new!

I know it well!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
The M25 in Surrey between Reigate and Chertsey is concrete, I'm not sure about the other sections as I don't often go beyond Heathrow or the A21 junction. I think that section isn't the oldest or most recent part of the M25 (early 1980s?), so for some reason they went back to tarmac for the remaining sections. It is really noisy though to say the least!

Edit: bridges on the Reigate-Chertsey M25 are tarmac though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:57:19 AM by RichardA »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
The M25 in Surrey between Reigate and Chertsey is concrete, I'm not sure about the other sections as I don't often go beyond Heathrow or the A21 junction. I think that section isn't the oldest or most recent part of the M25 (early 1980s?), so for some reason they went back to tarmac for the remaining sections. It is really noisy though to say the least!

1971- 72, I worked for Errut Products, here, near Chesterfield. They were a "London" firm, who had relocated here.
 Harry, the foreman was from Chertsey. And, dearly wanted to get back there.

They were developing, the "Plastic Groover". Part of the roadlaying train, which spans the carriageway.
 This machine, tamped the almost set, concrete surface, with 1/4" square grooves, for water run off.

They had already discovered that equi spaced grooves were too tyre noisy.
 (I remember driving a section of the M1, around J15 (?), which was frightening! And, I knew what caused the unexpected racket!).

The tamping plate covered around 4 feet per pass. The random spaced grooves, on the M18, produce a relatively pleasant, repeating rhythm......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 08:18:40 AM »
Some places have musical roads, that play a tune as you drive over them. The most recent stretch I am aware of is in the Netherlands. But those that live beside it hate it!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6023187/musical-road-netherlands-leeuwarden-sings/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
Some places have musical roads, But those that live beside it hate it!

Just like people who work in shops get to hate Christmas music.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything