Author Topic: Air filter  (Read 997 times)

Skyline84

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
Air filter
« on: November 01, 2018, 11:07:17 PM »
Hi, is it worth replacing the standard air filter with an aftermarket version, for example a K&N or Pipercross one? Is there any improvement in performance, or MPG?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Air filter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:04:36 AM »
Hi, is it worth replacing the standard air filter with an aftermarket version, for example a K&N or Pipercross one? Is there any improvement in performance, or MPG?

I guess that the K&N would benefit performance higher up the rev range,  but the 8 valve GD I-Dsi does not rev too high anyway (it starts to run out of breath at about 4500 but this is down to the 8 valve configuration rather than the shortfalls in the air filter).  I guess GE VTEC would be more likely to benefit, would I fit one ? naahh

IMHO the 8 valve engine is more pleasant to drive around town and generally everywhere except maybe the motorway,  but even then the 8 valve is pretty capable unless you want to go over 90 and get a ticket (we have been from one end of UK to the other in both a GD and a GE and I wouldn't blink at doing it in either).

Search for 'air filter' on forum there are people who fitted K&N and their experiences, but bear in mind differences between 8 valve and 16 valve characteristics.   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyline84

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
Re: Air filter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »
K&N ones on eBay are £50... I might leave it and use standard filters come service time.

Tags:

anything