Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79595 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I think it works well. My concern is just with the idea of relying on it to keep tyres at the correct pressure. Tyres are one of the most safety critical components on a vehicle and care of them shouldn't be left to automation unless it can be relied on.

Honda have chosen to call their TPMS system DWS and I think that's with good reason. It will spot in-use failures effectively but may not spot general maintenance issues well, if at all.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »
Second false alarm today. Again triggered by some reasonably quick motorway driving. Absolutely no problem with the tyre pressures so it is a false alarm pure and simple.

The internet is full of Honda owners reporting similar issues. Has anybody been back to their dealers with this? Is there a software update?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »
So, just gone round with my new Michelin tyre pump (allegedly accurate to within + or - 1psi) and set all wheels to the exact recommended pressures and recalibrated the system again.

The light coming on at high speeds may, or may not, be a red herring but, interestingly, there is a whole thread on Honest John about the light coming on in a CRV after driving at 70 mph.

If it comes on again, I'll take it in to the dealers. False alarms defeat the whole object of the system.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »
When you recalibrate the TPMS the shift lever must be in Park with the ignition on. The handbrake must be on for MT cars.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:39:09 PM by Deeps »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »
Yes - handbrake on.

The other thing I did was a quick tread depth check - I've heard of instances where the system has been fooled by uneven tyre wear but they are all pretty even in that regard.

I'm anxious to get the system working properly. The basic concept of a tyre pressure warning system is a good one.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »
Just read your last post. Ignition on but engine not started.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »
Sorry about the edit, I was thinking MT cars, I have just ordered a 1.5 CVT and am in the knowledge transition phase.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »
Yes - handbrake on.

The other thing I did was a quick tread depth check - I've heard of instances where the system has been fooled by uneven tyre wear but they are all pretty even in that regard.

I'm anxious to get the system working properly. The basic concept of a tyre pressure warning system is a good one.

Could the system be too sensitive and it is picking up the tyres 'growing' in diameter at higher speeds due to combination of air warming and centrifugal force.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »

I started this thread after having two false alarms in the first few months of ownership, then the real warning which I ignored. All I can add is that the following 20k miles and twenty months since then I have had no alerts, false or real. Perhaps I should check the system is still working by letting a bit out of one the tyres.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
Yes - handbrake on.

Could the system be too sensitive and it is picking up the tyres 'growing' in diameter at higher speeds due to combination of air warming and centrifugal force.

Yes - did wonder about that, especially after reading the Honest John thread on his website. I'm hoping this is just a glitch as per mikebore's experience. 

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:25 PM »
The system detects rotational differences between the wheels, speed of rotation should not be a factor as all four wheels are rotating at the same speed. There must be some tolerance or time delay in the system to allow for different wheel rotation speeds caused by low speed manoeuvring, bends and roundabouts etc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:58:47 PM by Deeps »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
The system detects rotational differences between the wheels, speed of rotation should not be a factor as all four wheels are rotating at the same speed.
If they are not all the same diameter due to wear or different pressures then the rotational speeds aren't the same. 

Possibly the best precaution is a monthly re-run of the calibration the remove the effect of any small changes which, over time, would reach the threshold for triggering the warning.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
I think that's what I'll do John. It's no great hardship to do this every month as I check my pressures monthly in any event.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »
The system detects rotational differences between the wheels, speed of rotation should not be a factor as all four wheels are rotating at the same speed.
If they are not all the same diameter due to wear or different pressures then the rotational speeds aren't the same. 

Possibly the best precaution is a monthly re-run of the calibration the remove the effect of any small changes which, over time, would reach the threshold for triggering the warning.
But don't you want to be warned about an accumulation of small changes over time?  A succession of recalibrations could mean missing a genuine drop in the pressure of one tyre.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
But don't you want to be warned about an accumulation of small changes over time?  A succession of recalibrations could mean missing a genuine drop in the pressure of one tyre.
Recalibration should be done in conjunction with visual inspection or gauge checking (which tends to cause some air loss). My TPMS false alarm inconveniently happened on a motorway and I get the impression that the majority of false alarms occur under similar conditions where it isn't easy / safe to stop.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything