Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Oil Consumption??
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 01:23:37 PM »
My car used no oil during its first year of ownership, but has only been an issue since the oil was changed, in the summer. It has now done just over 100,000 miles. I use X-Tech 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil. It seems to drop down to midway between Full and Fill then just sits there. The car gives no signs of burning oil. Performance is fine, fuel economy is brilliant. Plugs are clean and a great colour and the exhaust is clean with no smell of oil (I reverse car into garage, every night).
Yesterday I added oil to the cold engine, didn't check level as it takes a time to settle into sump, went for a 40 mile run and this morning I checked it cold once again. It was spot on the full mark. I'll see where it goes from there!
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by culzean on Today at 12:32:57 PM »
There is a bit of an anomaly on BEV ownership,  If you lease the battery it is probably already costing you more than most people spend on fuel in  month, if you buy the battery you could end up with a very expensive bill or a very expensive ornament that you can't sell because battery is FUBAR.   The BEV is expensive anyway and the value drops like a lead balloon once you have bought one so where is the saving ?

Battery vehicles may make sense for business users because of lower benefit in kind taxes and tax breaks on buying EV etc etc but for private users doing lowish mileage the fuel cost savings are not there if you lease the battery,  and low residuals (high depreciation) on BEV mean lease costs are higher than they should be.

I guess governments are enticing people to buy BEV by allowing them into cities and towns with no emissions charges and zero road tax.  We all know governments will not suffer the lower tax income for long so I guess when a 'critical mass' of people have been lured in the various charges will go up.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by culzean on Today at 12:01:42 PM »
The charging points in Lifton are in a residential area and given the number, it would suggest either there are several Tesslas in the Launceston area or the installer anticipates a large uptake of Teslas!

Up till now Tesla have been supplying a very, very expensive premium car and still haemorrhaging money at about $1billion a quarter - they are having massive problems upscaling production for a cheaper lower margin model 3.  I don't know how much of their losses is due to rolling out their charger network but maybe someone will buy the network when Tesla files for chapter 11.

With more and more competitors models appearing in the lower cost EV market (but still expensive compared to ICE) from mainstream car makers who can run a car making business effectively Tesla shares do not look like a very promising bet.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-issues-causing-dangerous-cash-problem-2017-11?r=US&IR=T

Tesla 'Spacex' rocket division also getting a bad name for 'losing' very expensive satellites - where competitors may be pricier but have a brilliant track record.   No good being cheaper if you then lose billion dollar payloads.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/01/curious-case-of-elon-musks-disappearing-satellite-spacex-zuma

People from silicon valley,  used to making massive profits from very few employees will never get their head around manufacturing,  especially cars, which is a low margin high risk business.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Rear Windscreen Wiper
« Last post by Dayjo on Today at 10:57:23 AM »
Mine gives an initial, two swipes. Then reverts to intermittent, if reverse gear is engaged long enough.

Never noticed, auto, intermittent rear wipe, at any other time....
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Egr valve
« Last post by culzean on Today at 10:52:26 AM »
EGR codes popped up on my Jazz. I cleared them but they popped back up again after some local driving.

I plan to clean the EGR valve first and see if I can get rid of the codes... I'll let you know how it goes... if that fails I'll tackle a full EGR passages which will take a little more time... 310k KMs so I suspect a more thorough clean will be required.

The fault code relates to if the EGR shaft is lifting when it should, whether the passages are clean or not will not affect it as the EGR feedback is purely solenoid lift and it does not know whether exhaust gas is actually going through it.  The normal thing that happens is that crud builds up on shaft due to valve not being used and when it does open or partly open it cant close again properly (there is probably more force from solenoid to open it than there is from spring trying to close it again). This is like having a leak in intake system at low revs (when valve should be fully closed) and messes up the fueling and causes lack of power and jerking.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Anti lock break issue?
« Last post by culzean on Today at 10:18:43 AM »
you can tell if your car has ABS by looking down behind windscreen washer bottle filler tube on drivers side under the bonnet, there will be a cube of metal there on top of wheel arch with brake pipes coming out of it

If the ECU is not getting good pulses from all four wheels I would imagine the ABS fault light would come on (the ABS light on my new motorbike stays on when you start it until the wheels have rolled round a couple of times).  When you say the pedal is soft do you mean it travels too far sometimes ?  When was the fluid last changed ? If pedal travels too far and does not stop the car maybe system need the air bleeding out of it, or master cylinder seals are deteriorating.   

I think the majority of faults on brake systems are due to fluid being left in too long (the fluid absorbs water and corrosion in the system can cause many problems) - I always buy the best fluid I can get and change every couple of years and ( touch wood ) have never had to replace anything in braking system other than pads and discs.

I have tried the pressure bleeders and couldn't get them to seat on Honda reservoir even with proper adaptor and ended up with fluid everywhere.  Then I bought a MityVac bleeder (which is good on motorbikes as well), you may have to remove nipple and wrap PTFE tape around thread to stop air being sucked in when you slacken nipple,  but after that it is easy - the container capacity on the Mityvac is less than brake reservoir,  so when container is getting full  it prompts you to top up reservoir and avoid sucking air into system.
« Last post by Stevec1962 on Today at 10:12:14 AM »
EGR codes popped up on my Jazz. I cleared them but they popped back up again after some local driving.

I plan to clean the EGR valve first and see if I can get rid of the codes... I'll let you know how it goes... if that fails I'll tackle a full EGR passages which will take a little more time... 310k KMs so I suspect a more thorough clean will be required.
I bought some stuff from halfords blasted through sorted it cost about 10  before that cleaned couple times

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: CVT Judder
« Last post by dj4llen on Today at 10:07:14 AM »
My CVT sometimes judders.

I read a procedure somewhere after a Google search recommending to coast the Jazz to a stop (or near as damn it) without applying the brake and amazingly the juddering has all but disappeared.

I'll update if I noticed more juddering.
« Last post by dj4llen on Today at 10:04:44 AM »

Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Drivers side wiper blade
« Last post by dj4llen on Today at 09:53:32 AM »
I went on a short trip this week - 5 hours there and back - mid journey I decided I could no longer stand the old juddering smudgy wipers so I bought some refills.

Let's just say I found replacing the wiper refills challenging. Especially on the side of a motorway.

So I returned to the store and bought some Tridon Flexblades. They look a little odd from the drivers seat after the standard Jazz wiper arm assemblies, but WOW they work a treat.

Recommended.

Now for the rear wiper...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything