Author Topic: AutoExpress - Crosstar v Dacia Sandero Stepway  (Read 3608 times)

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: AutoExpress - Crosstar v Dacia Sandero Stepway
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2021, 07:50:13 AM »
So if we could pick the cars for the magazine road tests, what would be the suggestions for candidates between the variants at the price levels on offer by Honda?

1)  Jazz SE £19000 new.

2) Jazz SR £21000 new

3) Jazz EX £23000 new

4) The Crosstar £24000 new

The Jazz SE is the hard one to match,  £19000 busy a modest Fiesta or Polo.
As we rise up the price ladder to £23000 to £24000  rivals entering  the arena, VW Golf 8,  MG HS  . or Ford Tourneo Connect, Renault Kadjar.

Honda have priced the Jazz very aggressively undercutting European products in the GB market, With GB out of the EU, and our car market not so  politically  influenced by the big Eu players and  Brussels, are Honda out for the blood of European car makers in the GB market?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:03:31 AM by E27006 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »

The 911,  40 years ago my target was to own a 911, then they were £22,000 vs a Metro at £5000,  4 Metros or one 911, look at the price ratio later 10 to 1. friend had an early air-cooled 911 Turbo brand new , he got rid of it before it killed him, explosive power delivery, wheelspin on damp road surfaces which triggered the turbo boost in an instant and some serious cat-like steering corrective responses  to avert disaster.  Modern electronics required to tame those beasts,  I bought a Suzuki RG500 motorbike, the Rg500 was a two-wheeled 911 turbo,  tried to kill me several times.  duly hastened by my life flashing before my eyes, I treat cars and motorbikes as if wearing a prickly hair shirt from back then to  this day,

Ahh, the RG500,  2 stroke engines had very 'peaky' power delivery and it was an art to ride them properly, watch the old two stroke races in 1980's / 90's ... spectacular... a lot of motorbike stuff on Amazon Prime TV.   Two stroke engines are particularly dependent on exhaust design, and tuned for quite narrow power band     
https://classic-motorbikes.net/suzuki-rg500-gamma/

Motorbike racing 90's style 

To be fair on the 911 tyres have improved massively - I could get wheelspin on a Vauxhall Viva 1300 on a damp road in those days ( mainly down to crap tyres ).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:27:14 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
I had the same on a Hillman Hunter GLS with the Holbay engine.

Standard tyres just spun so a tyre dealer friend recommended Dunlop SP44's. They couldn't be spun no matter how hard I set off.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2021, 12:05:21 PM »
I don't even own a Honda YET. (HR-V eHEV ordered)
BUT, I have just read the AE article and agree with comments here.
Did the reviewer even drive the car.
I have written to the Editor (below).
Let's see what he has to say for himself.

Dear Mr Fowler.
I was just wondering, if whoever produced the above review had actually driven the Crosstar, or did he just read about it?
There are a few errors in the article.

"the Crosstar is powered by Honda’s hybrid drive system, tech that this car pioneered”
ER, REALLY? What about the CR-V eHEV that came out a couple of years ago??

"The jazz is fitted with a CVT gearbox.” Very misleading. It is an ECVT which has little in common with a standard CVT
I suggest your reviewer watches the Honda video below before getting any more facts wrong and he misleads readers when reviewing the soon to be launched HR-V eHEV.

It is generally accepted that the Crosstar has more comfortable suspension with a raised ride height compared with the normal Jazz.
Again I suggest the reviewer has a look at the web site below.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?board=162.0

Last point.
Why are you comparing chalk and cheese, the Crosstar and the Dacia have nothing in common apart from being cars.
Vastly different prices, different propulsion types and certainly different quality.

Sorry, NOT impressed!
Your sincerely,
C.A.Lambert
[/color]
[/color]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:33:36 PM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »
The link leads to the Auto Express web article which reviews the Crosstar and Sandero Stepway :

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-group-tests/355727/honda-jazz-crosstar-vs-dacia-sandero-stepway-pictures

Please read the reviews, your opinions are welcome
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:59:31 PM by E27006 »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2021, 11:23:28 PM »
So if we could pick the cars for the magazine road tests, what would be the suggestions for candidates between the variants at the price levels on offer by Honda?

1)  Jazz SE £19000 new.

2) Jazz SR £21000 new

3) Jazz EX £23000 new

4) The Crosstar £24000 new

The Jazz SE is the hard one to match,  £19000 busy a modest Fiesta or Polo.
As we rise up the price ladder to £23000 to £24000  rivals entering  the arena, VW Golf 8,  MG HS  . or Ford Tourneo Connect, Renault Kadjar.

Honda have priced the Jazz very aggressively undercutting European products in the GB market, With GB out of the EU, and our car market not so  politically  influenced by the big Eu players and  Brussels, are Honda out for the blood of European car makers in the GB market?

The Dacia Sandero Comfort Auto is £12750... Would be interested  to see it against the Jazz SE.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2021, 08:34:26 AM »
The VW Golf is an icon in much of Europe , and a benchmark for the other car makers for a  standard of car expected by the public, a car with   with sales figures in the millions and rarely out of   the top  few  of the sales charts. I  would suggest  test the 2019 onwards  VW Golf  Life  specification agains a Jazz  SR or EX specification.
Life is their entry level specification  for the VW  priced at £25750 0 1.0 DSG engine/gearbox , or £26400 with a 1.5 DSG engine/gearbox
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:40:05 AM by E27006 »

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2021, 08:55:48 AM »
I used to buy AE twenty years ago and have intended to treat myself to one but don’t think I’ll bother after reading this.

The article has no reference to engineering quality.  The Honda will still be going in twenty five years time by which time the Dacia will have been recycled.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
I would agree! AE used to be a favourite of mine, but the idiot that wrote that article has put me right off!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »
The VW Golf is an icon in much of Europe...

It's a pity it has a reputation for being driven aggressively.

Seeing a young guy in a Golf is a flag to me that I should expect the unexpected from them.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
Hah, my other car is a Golf, and I might buck the trend but I drive non aggressively and am very considerate of other road users ...... ;D ;D

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
I searched and read  the adverts and promotional offers for a car for a side to side test against the Jazz
The Vauxhall Mokka is close to the Jazz in  purchase price.
So I nominate a test between the Mokka  vs the Jazz.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:44:53 AM by E27006 »

Tags: