Author Topic: All-season tires for the Ex model  (Read 1972 times)

awarberg

• Approved Member
All-season tires for the Ex model
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:06:37 AM »
According to the Danish brochure from April 2020 the Jazz Mk4 top model called "Exclusive" (presumably similar to the UK "Ex" model) runs on 185/50 R16 87H tires.

I have searched for availability on some of the premium tire manufacturers websites (Goodyear, Michelin, Hankook) and they don't seem to offer many tires of this size, and definitely no all-season tires.

Have any of you fitted all-season tires to your Ex(clusive) and which make & model did you choose?

P.S. For reference, here are the full model/tire size listing from the same brochure:

Comfort & Elegance185/60 R15 88H
Executive185/50 R16 87H 185/55 R16 87H
Crossstar Executive185/60 R16 86H

Update: Went by the dealer today and inspected the size of the factory tire. The size listed in the brochure is incorrect. I have updated the table with the actual tire size. This also matches with the tire size listed in the online owners manual.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:20:25 AM by awarberg »

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: All-season tires for the Ex model
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »
Falken AS210 All Seasons are available in 185/60 R16 for the Crosstar. No other manufacturers do that size. The Falken has reasonable reviews but not on same performance level as Michelin or Goodyear all season tyres.
I am afraid it is one of the penalties of many far eastern cars that the choice of quality tyres is small to none! 
Another option would be to fit 195/55 R16 tyres diameter is within 1.2% of 185/60 tyres and there is wide choice of tyres from all the big tyre companies.
It is beyond me why Honda don't tailor European cars with easily available European tyres for European safety tests etc.
185/60 R15 - plenty of choice.
185/50 R16 - no all season tyre I can find. Very limited choice of summer tyres.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:49:11 PM by Expatman »

alfaomega

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Executive 2021 - Sunshine White Pearl
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:57:42 AM »
Falken AS210 All Seasons are available in 185/60 R16 for the Crosstar. No other manufacturers do that size. The Falken has reasonable reviews but not on same performance level as Michelin or Goodyear all season tyres.
I am afraid it is one of the penalties of many far eastern cars that the choice of quality tyres is small to none! 
Another option would be to fit 195/55 R16 tyres diameter is within 1.2% of 185/60 tyres and there is wide choice of tyres from all the big tyre companies.
It is beyond me why Honda don't tailor European cars with easily available European tyres for European safety tests etc.
185/60 R15 - plenty of choice.
185/50 R16 - no all season tyre I can find. Very limited choice of summer tyres.

Awarberg, 185/50 R16 it's not a size for Honda Jazz, it's a typo for sure.
If you look for 185/55 R16 (the correct size) you have plenty of choice. Then my personal choice is to have summer tyres and winter tyres, but again, it's my personal call.

Going back to the Crosstar (185/60 R16) it's true. Anyway you shouldn't mount 195/55 for a couple of reasons:
1) the rim is 6" wide, and 195 it's at the far end of its tolerance. You risk to have the tyre slipping out of the rim.
2) in some countries (like here in Italy) there aren't any other sizes that are allowed outside of 185/60R16. I know for sure because we bought a standard Jazz and my father-in-law bought the Crosstar so obviously i've seen both vehicle registration certificates. Each of one contains only the OEM size.
Just to be more complete: my Jazz EX vehicle registration certificate doesn't even contain the 15" option as you can see from the attached picture.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:09:19 AM by alfaomega »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »

Alfomega

Going back to the Crosstar (185/60 R16) it's true. Anyway you shouldn't mount 195/55 for a couple of reasons:
1) the rim is 6" wide, and 195 it's at the far end of its tolerance. You risk to have the tyre slipping out of the rim.
2) in some countries (like here in Italy) there aren't any other sizes that are allowed outside of 185/60R16. I know for sure because we bought a standard Jazz and my father-in-law bought the Crosstar so obviously i've seen both vehicle registration certificates. Each of one contains only the OEM size.
Just to be more complete: my Jazz EX vehicle registration certificate doesn't even contain the 15" option as you can see from the attached picture.

Obviously you must comply with the laws where you live. However in the UK we can fit whatever tyres we like (within reason) providing you inform your insurance company.
One item where you are incorrect is on acceptable tyre widths for 6J rims. In fact a 6J x 16 rim is specified to accept tyres widths from 175 to 205, with the ideal tyre widths being 185 or 195. So fitting 195 width tyres is perfectly safe on 6J rims on the Crosstar. If you fit 195/55 R16 tyres then the difference in circumference etc is just 1.2% meaning that at a true speedo reading of 70 MPH you are actually doing 69.16 MPH - well within the accuracy of any car speedometer. The sidewall height is marginally less by 3.57mm and the tread width is greater by 10mm. The effect on drive for those difference is likely to be a small increase in road noise - but the actual tyre fitted is likely to have a much greater impact on noise. Perhaps a slightly firmer ride, but again the type of tyre fitted is likely to have a greater impact, and slightly higher fuel consumption (wider tread tyre) - again the spec of tyre is likely to have an impact here. Honda tend to fit eco tyres with harder compounds to reduce fuel consumption -  which is great - but in colder or more inclement weather their performance levels will be reduced. In the UK where winter temperatures are frequently below 7 degrees C tyres with different compounds are being more widely used as specific Winter tyres or, increasingly commonly, All Season tyres such as Michelin CrossClimates, Goodyear All Seasons etc. The Falken AS210 (available in 185/60 R16) is an all weather tyre and is quite adequate but is not a top performer - higher noise, higher fuel consumption and lower grip levels in most cases than the leading tyres in its class. Have a look at AutoExpress All Season tyre tests.
So in the UK we have a choice which you don’t. It’s a pity Honda don’t spec alternative approved tyre sizes like their European competitors, so it’s up to us to investigate suitable  alternatives and publish our findings on Forums like this!

awarberg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »
Good news. I discovered the Quatrac all-season tire from Vredestein, which should fit the Exclusive model:
https://www.vredestein.dk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/185/50/16/1815-quatrac

It is relatively new on the market but has received good reviews.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
Good news. I discovered the Quatrac all-season tire from Vredestein, which should fit the Exclusive model:
https://www.vredestein.dk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/185/50/16/1815-quatrac

It is relatively new on the market but has received good reviews.
Is the load rating at 81 okay for EX?

awarberg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
The brochure tire size was indeed a typo and the real tire size is also available in the Vredestein Quatrac line:
https://www.vredestein.dk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/185/55/16/1815-quatrac

The owners manual is clear about replacement tires must have the same size and speed/load index and this one matches the load index and has a higher speed index.

alfaomega

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Executive 2021 - Sunshine White Pearl
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 04:48:12 PM »
The brochure tire size was indeed a typo and the real tire size is also available in the Vredestein Quatrac line:
https://www.vredestein.dk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/185/55/16/1815-quatrac

The owners manual is clear about replacement tires must have the same size and speed/load index and this one matches the load index and has a higher speed index.
The load index for EX with 16" rims is 87, not 81

Tags:

anything