Author Topic: All Season Tyres for Crosstar  (Read 9457 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: All Season Tyres for Crosstar
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »
Page 636 of the on-line UK owners' manual (extract attached) lists both sizes. Confusing!
That's interesting, at the bottom of the extract it says Crosstar has All Season Tyres.
Anyone with a Crosstar like to say what tyres their Crosstar was supplied with?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2020, 08:36:36 PM »
That’s the name of this thread, not part of the information in the owners manual.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2020, 10:15:23 PM »
Sorry, thanks for clarifying for me!

I would still like to know what make and type of tyres are generally supplied by Honda for the Jazz and Crosstar, are they a known premium brand or some other brand?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2020, 10:54:02 PM »
The one I saw today had Dunlop tyres fitted.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2020, 08:55:20 AM »
My Crosstar is shod with Dunlop Enasave EC300+. mytyres.co.uk classifies them as a summer tyre https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rtest.pl?rt_rubrik=pkw_sommerreifen&rt_profil=111110906&language=EN&dsco=110 .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2020, 10:54:47 PM »
This is a bit of a sadness. I really like the Crosstar in terms of technology, size, performance and overall excellent package. BUT the choice of tyres is incredibly limited, none of the highest rated summer, winter or all season tyres in the AutoExpress tests are available to fit the Crosstar. It seems by buying a Crosstar you are limited to very average performing tyres at the best. The only contact your car has with the road are the four tyres so they are the first and foremost safety item - it seems that Honda has decided that drivers of their cars don’t deserve the best tyres.
Sadly I think this is a deal breaker for me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 10:31:03 AM »
The tyres fitted to the Crosstar are by no measure inferior. They may not be the best in class as arbitrarily decided by "Auto Express", but they are certainly not "very average performing tyres at the best" as you describe them. If that is a deal-breaker for you, then I have to surmise that you were never really all that intent on buying a Crosstar in the first place.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 11:16:12 AM »
it seems that Honda has decided that drivers of their cars don’t deserve the best tyres.

:D ;D Priceless!

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2020, 11:19:29 AM »
I would agree with Jocko. The tyres that come with the car are decent. Pretty much all tyres sold these days are safe and good quality.  Most of these testing platforms where tyres are rated are purely marketing opportunities for the big companies. Whether summer, winter, all season it really doesn’t make that much of a difference. How the car is driven is the most important factor of all.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2020, 11:32:43 AM »
I bought a Mark2 Jazz in 2012. There were no Michelin Cross Climate Tyres available in its tyre size (175/65/15). Five years later when it came to change the tyres (and I had a bad puncture requiring replacement of one tyre) I changed all to Michelin Cross Climate which had become available.
So availability changes with growing use of a tyre size and more cars using it on the road.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »
My comments on tyre availability are based on the fact that there just isn't much of a choice. Living in North Yorkshire I drive on All Season Tyres - currently Goodyear - but I have a wide choice. With the Crosstar I have a choice of 1 - Falken that in all tests are not rated near Michelin, Continental, Goodyear etc. I haven't really decided if it's an absolute deal breaker, I do like everything else about the Crosstar and the size might be added by other tyre manufacturers.
I suppose the point I was making is why didn't Honda consider tyre availability when speccing the wheel/tyres for the Crosstar?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »
The Mark 2 Jazz in EX trim had 16 inch wheels (the others had 15) and tyre availability was very poor and very expensive when launched..

All makers do the same...Top of the range model gets fancy big wheels. 

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
I suppose the point I was making is why didn't Honda consider tyre availability when speccing the wheel/tyres for the Crosstar?
Simply because for most people tyres don’t come into any decision when buying a car. I’ve never known anyone consider tyres like they do features of the car. This is why tyre type isn’t listed when making a purchase online, but mpg and automatic headlights etc are. As long as tyres pass an mot, I and many others are happy, and that’s as much thought we give them!

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2020, 10:24:17 PM »
Simply because for most people tyres don’t come into any decision when buying a car. I’ve never known anyone consider tyres like they do features of the car. This is why tyre type isn’t listed when making a purchase online, but mpg and automatic headlights etc are. As long as tyres pass an mot, I and many others are happy, and that’s as much thought we give them!
I understand, but don’t you think that perhaps tyres should be a higher priority consideration? Car makers make big claims about included safety features - lane departure, auto braking etc. but the tyres - which are your only contact with the road - are not mentioned. In temperatures below 7 degrees conventional summer tyres grip quickly degrades and in snow or icy conditions are verging on dangerous. To counteract that first came winter tyres which you changed for summer tyres in the autumn and back to summer tyres in the spring. Then All Weather Tyres were introduced which while not being quite as good as summer tyres in the Summer or Winter tyres in the Winter are a pretty good compromise offering almost the best of both worlds. Michelin CrossClimates were the first then followed by all season tyres from most premium tyre manufacturers. If these tyres are not available for the car you are choosing then I do think that is a safety negative. Maybe not something at the front of your mind when choosing a car to buy but certainly a consideration - don’t you think?

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 09:07:29 AM »
I understand, but don’t you think that perhaps tyres should be a higher priority consideration? Car makers make big claims about included safety features - lane departure, auto braking etc. but the tyres - which are your only contact with the road - are not mentioned. In temperatures below 7 degrees conventional summer tyres grip quickly degrades and in snow or icy conditions are verging on dangerous. To counteract that first came winter tyres which you changed for summer tyres in the autumn and back to summer tyres in the spring. Then All Weather Tyres were introduced which while not being quite as good as summer tyres in the Summer or Winter tyres in the Winter are a pretty good compromise offering almost the best of both worlds. Michelin CrossClimates were the first then followed by all season tyres from most premium tyre manufacturers. If these tyres are not available for the car you are choosing then I do think that is a safety negative. Maybe not something at the front of your mind when choosing a car to buy but certainly a consideration - don’t you think?
I do understand what your saying, and your argument is quite logical. I’m sure there will be more tyre choice available for the jazz based on demand, like with any other product. For me personally I can’t see it ever being an issue. I’ve driven in very icy conditions in Leeds and very hot weather down south, never once changing tyre type and having a problem. In fact for most of my driving life I have used cheapest part worn tyres and never experienced issues.

The amount of car you get for your money with the Jazz is worth it, and as I said, with demand I’m sure fairly soon a wider range will be available.

Tags:

anything