Author Topic: Boot/Tailgate Handle Problem  (Read 30432 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Boot/Tailgate Handle Problem
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
This happened a couple of days ago on my wife's mk2 - I thought it was a mk1 thing but looks like Honda used same design.  On the Civic it is a rubber covered button.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »
yes seems mk1 and mark11 are same design very common fault

guest6865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
I found this video to be the most helpful.

Basically the handle rusts and this prevents the spring from returning it to its default position. The fix requires the removal of the internal boot trim, the wiper, wiper motor assembly, and an external trim panel under the rear wiper to get to the handle which then can be cleaned up or replaced.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
No need to do all that,  just spray some decent PTFE based lubricant onto each side of the bracket and work it a few times, it soon frees up - do not use WD40 as that will glue it together and attract dirt.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »
I just sprayed a liberal amount of 3 in 1 oil around the ends of the handle and worked it a fair few times. A repeat spray once or twice a year has prevented a reoccurrence of the problem.

Tags:

anything