Author Topic: Spark Plugs Changed  (Read 870 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Spark Plugs Changed
« on: November 26, 2020, 08:48:13 PM »
I couldn't find out from service records when the spark plugs had been changed or if they ever had been changed (48k miles 55 plate).

Decided after 3 months ownership I should change them although no problems with fault codes or misfires. Purchased 8 of the correct NGKs. Old plugs removed, front set Denso, rear set NGK, all a nice colour but very worn down centre electrodes making for a large gap. All the plugs looked very old, could they be original?

I understand Honda often used both NGK and Denso on the same car on the factory floor.

New plugs fitted and maybe the placebo effect but engine feels smoother and sounds sweeter and appears to pull better at low revs.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Spark Plugs Changed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »
Good job. There is nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and the placebo effect always happens to me too!  8)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:50:56 PM »
The last time I had my plugs changed they had done 33,500 miles, and they didn't look particularly worn so perhaps your plugs were the originals.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:25:30 PM »
I think you are correct Jocko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 12:35:01 AM »
Could well be original. Once a car gets to a certain age and is bought cheaply they're often serviced as cheaply as possible. That means just the basics like oil and filters. Other service items like spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant, gearbox oil etc just live on until they cause a problem. You should consider changing the above if you don't have any history on them.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
Could well be original. Once a car gets to a certain age and is bought cheaply they're often serviced as cheaply as possible. That means just the basics like oil and filters. Other service items like spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant, gearbox oil etc just live on until they cause a problem. You should consider changing the above if you don't have any history on them.

All the the above (and more) done.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 10:27:50 AM »
Good job, now take a look at your cabin filter it's behind the glove box. If mucky order on line it's 5 min task to replace, often overlooked at a dealership service

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »

Agreed. If you can do the work yourself, you could probably buy the parts and complete all of that servicing for less than the cost an hours labour at your average main dealer.  :)

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
Believe me, nothing ever gets missed on anything I've owned over the last 58 years of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
I couldn't find out from service records when the spark plugs had been changed or if they ever had been changed (48k miles 55 plate).

Decided after 3 months ownership I should change them although no problems with fault codes or misfires. Purchased 8 of the correct NGKs. Old plugs removed, front set Denso, rear set NGK, all a nice colour but very worn down centre electrodes making for a large gap. All the plugs looked very old, could they be original?

I understand Honda often used both NGK and Denso on the same car on the factory floor.

New plugs fitted and maybe the placebo effect but engine feels smoother and sounds sweeter and appears to pull better at low revs.

Or someone changed the easy ones at the front and left the old ones at the back :)

Tags: