Author Topic: Engine oil levels  (Read 16652 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Engine oil levels
« on: May 10, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
Hi, just had the car serviced by Honda dealer, they have put the oil level at the top of the orange plastic which is a little high, wondering whether this would put a strain on the gaskets and whether I need to go back and get them to drain some off, this is not the first time dealers have done this to my jazzes, would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Engine oil levels
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
It shouldn't be a problem as the oil in the sump isn't under pressure so will not strain any gaskets. As soon as you start the engine the level will go down slightly anyway.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:21:06 PM »
Make sure the car is level when checking oil. If your car is lower at the front level will appear higher, if rear is lower level will appear lower. And always wipe dipstick clean because oil splashes around in the sump and you will not get a true reading unless engine is stopped and dipstick is clean.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:20:27 PM »
i had my jazz serviced at  a honda dealer check the oil next day when the engine was cold.it was well a both the level on the dipstick.i took half a Lita of oil outand now it is the right level on the dipstick the top spoton the dipstick that could have blow a crank seal   

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »
The engine should be hot, but left to stand for 3 minutes after switching, off before checking level. I do mine in my garage because the floor is flat and level. Too much oil is not good for an engine.

From my manual: Make sure the engine is warmed up and parked on level ground. Turn off the engine and wait approximately 3 minutes before checking the oil level.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
Thanks, will try this.......think garage floor is level...not sure how much oil quantity there is between the top line on the orange plastic and top of the orange plastic...would not have thought it would be very much, as per 1 comment on here if it was well above the top of the orange plastic then I would think that would be a problem.....

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 01:18:08 PM »
The engine should be hot, but left to stand for 3 minutes after switching, off before checking level. I do mine in my garage because the floor is flat and level. Too much oil is not good for an engine.

From my manual: Make sure the engine is warmed up and parked on level ground. Turn off the engine and wait approximately 3 minutes before checking the oil level.

It's generally that way now - the idea is people check the oil level after refueling the car, hence hot engine and left for a few mins.  Having said that, I haven't seen anyone actually doing that (checking the oil on a garage forecourt) for years.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 01:50:59 PM »
It's generally that way now - the idea is people check the oil level after refueling the car, hence hot engine and left for a few mins.  Having said that, I haven't seen anyone actually doing that (checking the oil on a garage forecourt) for years.
I haven't checked the oil anywhere for years!  I've become used to Jazzes not using any.  I hope there's some sort of warning if the level drops significantly.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:04:24 PM »
I haven't checked the oil anywhere for years!  I've become used to Jazzes not using any.  I hope there's some sort of warning if the level drops significantly.

I have also got lazy with checking oil - like you I have probably had various Honda cars for many years and got used to them not using oil. My first Civic had 190,000 miles on the clock and still did not use a drop between oil changes. I tend to check basic stuff like oil, coolant and washer bottle when I think about it. Sometimes I have over filled the oil and I never bother to take any out and it has never done any harm, and it never caused any oil to get burnt, it stayed 'over full' until the next change, better a bit to much than too little.

There is a PCV breather valve on the crankcase anyway and the way the pistons move the volume of crankcase stays the same, and in a Honda I doubt you get any compression blowing past the rings.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:09:46 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 06:07:59 PM »
I hope there's some sort of warning if the level drops significantly.
Yes, the engine starts rattling and eventually seizes!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
I have to check and top up my oil regularly. I had to add 0.5 litre today. On my Mk 1, the oil would be about a foot over the full mark to reach the orange bit!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
I have always used Castrol oils in cars and bikes ( except in early 80's when Mobil bought out their fully synth oil and I used that until Castrol synthetic became available ). I have to say never had any engine use oil despite doing large mileages ( except the dreadful Vauxhall Viva, and that hadn't even done a large mileage ).

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:51 AM »
i had my jazz serviced at  a honda dealer check the oil next day when the engine was cold.it was well a both the level on the dipstick.i took half a Lita of oil outand now it is the right level on the dipstick the top spoton the dipstick that could have blow a crank seal   
Wrong check.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
My oil has been above top mark often in the past on quite a few cars, sometimes I just put whole 4 litre can of oil in ( hate having little bits of oil laying around ) and never had a problem with blown seals ). The way the pistols go up and down in an engine means crankcase volume remains the same, and there is a PCV valve to deal with anything that blows past the piston rings ( never had a problem with compression on a Honda engine ). A bit too much oil is preferable to not enough...

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 09:21:31 AM »
well why does  Honda  state in the handbook not to over fill the oil level as it may cause problems 

Tags:

anything