Author Topic: How Much Room Do You Need !  (Read 1546 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
How Much Room Do You Need !
« on: April 05, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »
When I park and get out of my car I always put my hand on my door edge and if there's not much room my hand touches the car next to me so it's not metal against metal.

My wife has MSA and uses a wheelchair so I was pleased when we were give a blue badge which enabled us to use the disabled bays.

We parked in a Tesco's disabled bay shortly after, I thought this is great, I could open the doors to their full extent and there was still loads of room between us and the next car. No more searching for a safe place to park  :)

When we came back to the car someone had scraped their car against mine and damaged the rear door and bodywork. Of course the car had long gone although I knew it was a white car looking at my damage.

How much room do you need.........I just give in sometimes  >:(

On the plus side I took it to a bodyshop and they said to put filler in the bodywork, respray and blend in was about £800 so I went to Chipsaway and was quoted £270 for the same.
Crossed my fingers and tried Chipsaway and to their credit they did a perfect job you just couldn't see the repair or where it was blended in.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: How Much Room Do You Need !
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
Bad luck, I think many of us will have been there.

Tesco? Don't they have CCTV on all of their carparks?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 03:47:15 PM »
Our local Tesco doesn't but they have just introduced 'electric vehicle only' parking bays with no charging points. I asked one of the mangers the reason for it and was told it was to encourage the use of electric vehicles. I pointed out that all cars were 'electric' in that they all had batteries so I would feel free to park in one if there was nothing else available. I see that the restriction sign is being ignored.

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 03:58:07 AM »
If there's no charging point then you're not causing any problem, it's the ones that park in the disabled bays then run into the store that are selfish.
Let's be careful out there !

Derkie54

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
If there's no charging point then you're not causing any problem, it's the ones that park in the disabled bays then run into the store that are selfish.

Ho ho...... you're right there.
When we park in a disabled bay some people look disapprovingly and expect you to crawl in to the shop but stop looking when I get the wheelchair out.  :)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:24:19 AM »
My elderly Mother in Law is disabled and has a Blue Badge but no car. She uses it when anyone takes her anywhere. I must admit, I get funny looks when I leap out of the car in a disabled spot, until they see her getting out. Thing is, put a trolley in front of her at the garden centre and she's off like Sterling Moss. I keep telling her if she had one of those wheeled walking frames she would be able to get about but she won't have it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
Dad is 86 and cannot walk far, and has had his choice of parking location challenged several times by complete strangers in the street - but only when he's alone. That said, he doesn't take any crap off them. I can imagine that some would find these often aggressive encounters intimidating.

I think folks' attitudes to others, in general, have really deteriorated in the last few years, and some people seem far more comfortable expressing their intolerance openly.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 03:20:24 PM »
Our local Tesco doesn't but they have just introduced 'electric vehicle only' parking bays with no charging points. I asked one of the mangers the reason for it and was told it was to encourage the use of electric vehicles. I pointed out that all cars were 'electric' in that they all had batteries so I would feel free to park in one if there was nothing else available. I see that the restriction sign is being ignored.

Vic.
Update, this morning the charging points were being being installed. These parking slots are in the most used area of the car park.

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 04:00:44 PM »
Update, this morning the charging points were being being installed. These parking slots are in the most used area of the car park.

Positioned for maximum visibility?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »
I saw a  transit van slewed across 4 parking bays yesterday.  Actually it was no problem. It was an out of town place and only one store of five was open so they were surrounded by empty places. So it was just my sense of neatness that was offended
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »
There is an answer to silly parking:

Let's be careful out there !

Tags: