Author Topic: Tyres to reduce road noise  (Read 6722 times)

guest3042

Tyres to reduce road noise
« on: October 18, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
I am due to get new tyres soon. Is there a tyre which is known to reduce road noise in a Jazz Hybrid?
Thanks in advance.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
Re: Tyres to reduce road noise
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
Mine came with the Michelin and they are ok in normal motoring, not very intrusive. Our 1.2S has Michelin too, but with steel wheels and I would say it is slightly quieter.
Mine is quite noisy on poor or on concrete surfaces, but no worse than any other brand.
A friend has Pirelli on his Jazz, they are not bad.
Strangely, my all season Brigestones are very quiet - they are on steel wheels too.

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »
Thanks. My car has Michelin Energy Savers at the moment. Not sure if these can be improved on, noise-wise.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:45:09 PM »
Four Michelin Energy tyres made my Jazz noticeably quieter.

Vic.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
when i last bought tyres i had a ct200h i used dunlop sport maxx rt tyres they had a 67dB noise rating A for grip in the wet & C for fuel economy
and after looking at the rating these came out the best by far ,after all you buy a hybrid for economy so why buy a tyre that has a poor rating, the michelin energy's where rated at F for economy in the tyre size for my car
so have a look at the labels for each tyre before you buy as you will have the tyres for a long time.

i have just had a look online and found these at kwikfit and not expensive @ £69.00 / tyre

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/details/michelin/energy-saver-plus/t1006385

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:47:18 PM »
That's good info. Many thanks for your help.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
I have Bridgestone on my mk1 and my new mk3 and find them quiet.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
I have arranged to have the Energy Savers fitted today at £68 each.
These were on the car when I bought it as an ex-demo.

Thanks for all your responses.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »
when i last bought tyres i had a ct200h i used dunlop sport maxx rt tyres they had a 67dB noise rating A for grip in the wet & C for fuel economy
and after looking at the rating these came out the best by far ,after all you buy a hybrid for economy so why buy a tyre that has a poor rating, the michelin energy's where rated at F for economy in the tyre size for my car
so have a look at the labels for each tyre before you buy as you will have the tyres for a long time.

i have just had a look online and found these at kwikfit and not expensive @ £69.00 / tyre

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/details/michelin/energy-saver-plus/t1006385

I bought Dunlops for exactly same reasons, best noise rating and "A" rating for wet grip. What I later learned is that the noise rating is actually for externally measured noise not cabin noise, though you might expect them to be related. The rating is about the environment not about your cabin comfort. The Dunlops I got have "rapid response" in the name, consistent with "stiffer sidewalls" mentioned in the blurb. What this means is that the tyres are thumpier over bumps and the cabin noise and ride on uneven roads is worse than softer tyres like Continental Premium Contact or Michelin ES. Lesson learned.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
when i had my ct the cabin noise was measured @66 Db on a motorway when running my dunlops so pretty quiet.
i agree with you that external noise should be relevant to in cabin noise i.e. more noise outside =
more noise inside.

Tags:

anything