Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 145195 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2022, 03:15:02 PM »
ACC only after you get to desired speed !!!
If ACC will be used in stop and go trafic it can increase fuel consumption !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2022, 03:29:18 PM »
ACC only after you get to desired speed !!!
If ACC will be used in stop and go trafic it can increase fuel consumption !

I never use ACC if there is traffic anywhere near, too many scares from the system getting confused. I used it only once in stop and go traffic and it tried to kill me! It brakes too late, and then accelerates too hard. In traffic that is speeding up and slowing down the system can't cope at all.

It's only used on an empty road with no cars in range - if I'm approaching another vehicle I'll switch it off before the car can see it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2022, 03:34:15 PM »
Yes - I will use it very sparingly. Emptyish stretch of Motorway or Dual Carriageway on a long trip just to give the right leg a bit of a rest.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
Current total mileage today, since April 21 =  7336 miles, Fuel consumption over that distance = 65.9MPG
Driving style: Mostly 'B' mode except where ACC is required, (which is not often).  ECO = Off

I have to confess that only about 12-15% of those miles are motorway miles and then generally circa 65Mph.
Most motoring is urban/country roads where speed limits are 50mph or less.

These figures are from the dashboard readouts, not really concerned about any errors in quoted/real results, since all my previous Jazz cars have used the same basis for consumption comparison.
Typically, they were usually in the mid 50s Mpg, so more than happy with the MK4 improvements.

Hub

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 62mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2020
« Reply #304 on: February 12, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
My mileage now 7615 with mpg of 60.7 measured by "tank full" method and an excel spreadsheet. A mixture of long and short journeys,  mostly on A roads - B mode in towns and Eco mode for 80% of the time.
Very happy with the Jazz, comfortable,  quiet and  economical!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2022, 07:56:56 AM »
I have averaged about 65 mpg in mixed use over 2000 miles. 

On motorways  I tend to set the ACC to 65mph.  This gives mpg  of upper 50's to low 60's  (Although i havnt done enough miles to fully analyse it as slight hills up or down, wind direction etc are factors. )
 And the speedo is quite accurate so it really is 65 mph.  At this speed many cars speedos will be reading  70 mph so I am actually keeping pace with a lot of the other cars  and with a slight edge over trucks. 

Of course I have my moments over 70 mph,(I thought it was a work trip officer, not social. Oh you have photos)  and consumption does suffer .   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2022, 08:41:26 AM »
I got 60mpg yesterday, 8C outside, on a mainly motorway run from Heathrow to Reading  :)

..... and 73.6MPG coming back this morning :

Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »
I've noticed that the seat heaters seem to be programmed to tie in with engine heating.

The engine was off and the seat heaters on, when I switched the heaters off the engine started straightaway to give heat.

I then switched the seat heaters back on and the engine switched off instantly.

Probably only makes a tiny difference to mpg in cold weather but an interesting quirk.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2022, 03:01:48 PM »
I've never used the seat or steering wheel heaters.

At least we get warm cloth instead of cold leather.

In summer we get cool cloth instead of hot leather.

Sandysally

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid Ex Style
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2022, 09:29:55 PM »
I have had the Jazz EX Style for 3 weeks and so far am disappointed that despite deliberately driving very frugally to try an achieve best fuel consumption, I have achieved an average of 54mpg over 500 miles. I have followed all available guidance including switching off AC and switching on Economy mode.  I have driven a couple of journeys of 200 miles on an A road at speeds of 50 to 60 and the rest in town at speeds on average of 30. I have been extremely light on the accelerator and have found so far that I achieve best fuel consumption at low speed, in town.  I really am so very disappointed that the car has achieved nothing like the 62 mpg claimed to be normal and nowhere in the region of the 70mpg that all reviewers claim is fairly achievable.  My Mk 11 Jazz regularly achieved 50mpg and sometimes even 60. I am hopeful that the disappointing mpg is down to the cold weather but any advice would be appreciated.  My gripe apart, the car is amazing to drive and beautifully finished

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #310 on: February 15, 2022, 04:45:36 AM »
I'm regularly getting average 60 to 70 mpg. My journeys are mostly 50mph restricted motorways with urban roads at each end.

One thing to watch, if you can, is the 'instant mpg' readout on one of the display options. What I'm noticing is that on the motorway at a steady speed the instant mpg will change from max 140mpg to around 35/40 mpg as the engine cuts in and out to keep the battery charged.

What I have noticed is that where the mororway is slightly uphill the engine will kick in but once at the crest and you start the downhill slope, albeit a very slight gradient, it's reading the max 140 almost all the downhill section.

When I leave the motorway and drive on fairly clear 30 to 50 urban roads my average mpg does start to drop.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2022, 07:11:03 AM »
In normal weather hybrids tend to get 5-10mpg more.

In the winter the car has to burn petrol to provide heat for the cabin, as well as keeping the emissions system up to temperature.

Over 10,000+ miles my long term average is around 50mpg. I only see maybe 2mpg more in the summer as most of my driving is motorway at 70mph.

I’ve stopped paying much attention to mpg now, with my driving I get 50mpg which is fine for the combination of performance and refinement.

It’s 10% less than my Yaris hybrid did, but much better motorway performance.

The difference in fuel costs with higher mpg isn’t that much above 50mpg.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #312 on: February 15, 2022, 07:27:49 AM »
10,000 miles...... I've only just gone over 1,000

I used to get 50mpg average in my auto Civic so I'm looking forward to warmer weather. Then we'll be moaning about aircon MPG :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #313 on: February 15, 2022, 09:42:10 AM »
On transcontinental  journeys you sometimes follow key routes for hours. I often see the same distinctive cars that hack past me at a high rate of knots,  pass me again 2 hours later. And after a very brief stop for fuel or the loo I pass the same lumbering truck i passed 2 hours earlier. 

A  life in the fast lane  buys you surprisingly little extra time in the course of a day. Enough time to fit an expensive coffee into your frantic schedule maybe. 
Fewer fuel stops = more time. Although sometimes I   need a comfort stop without refueling. What a waste.

Driving fast can be fun.   But  these days I am happy to drop a few mph  to save a few quid and a few polar bears. 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #314 on: February 15, 2022, 10:47:54 AM »
I remember travelling at the legal 50mph along the various roads from Oxford to Worcester. I had an impatient *** behind who couldn't get past on the twisty roads.

Just before Evesham is a short section of dual carriageway. Past he shot.

He turned left and shot down the Evesham bypass whilst I went through Evesham itself (knowing the road and it was early and quiet).

A few miles down the road there he was again in my mirrors and he knew it was me again :D

The bypass may be faster but it's quite a bit longer.

Tags:

anything