Author Topic: Infotainment System Error Message  (Read 78173 times)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Infotainment System Error Message
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:43 AM »
Thanks for the info and welcome.  Are you the Kremmen on Pocket GPS?

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »
Honda Connect FAQ:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/m...nnect-faq.html
Thanks for that update. But it looks like the URL's got corrupted, the text string contains an ellipsis so it doesn't work. Any chance of posting the full URL please ?
Think I've found it. The web page is here:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-connect-faq.html

But probably more interesting (does that sound sad ?) is the full 32 pages of FAQs in PDF format:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-connect-faq/_jcr_content/headerPar/richtextcolumn_c731/par/richtextdownload_e49/file.res/Honda%20Connect_FAQ_Ver1.2.pdf

My dealer's never mentioned the existence of this despite multiple conversations with them about the system's shortcomings. Looks like a classic example of the infuriating "It's on the web, haven't you seen it ?" syndrome.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
My dealer's never mentioned the existence of this despite multiple conversations with them about the system's shortcomings. Looks like a classic example of the infuriating "It's on the web, haven't you seen it ?" syndrome.
I think it's part of a general inability/unwillingness on the part of car manufacturers to engage with the digital world. It took them ages to put enough resources into the websites so that they ran passably well. Their designs have never been particularly good.

The entire Honda Connect experience is ill-thought out, poorly implemented and woefully out of date.

I honestly believe that Honda's attitude to Connect can be summarised as:
Annoyance that they even had to give in and provide something slightly more modern than just a radio and a CD player.
Ignorance in not realising what was possible if they built an infotainment system around Android.
Failing to provide enough resources to at least implement their poor design in a reliable and effective way.

An even shorter summary of their attitude to it all is 'meh'.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:44:06 AM by andruec »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
I just connected my car to my home wifi and looking in Honda App Centre/My Apps there were two updates. A system update and an App Centre update. I've applied both so it'll be interesting to see if anything has improved.

I have my doubts though as I don't think the system update was the same as the RCx updates.

So I'm still on RC4 as far as I know.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the update availability info.

My car has the RC5 update. I have just connected it to my WiFi and it accepted the android system and app center update you mentioned. I know little about things electronic, but think the RCx updates are fixes for the interface between the android system and the car systems.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:45:26 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
Thanks for the update availability info.

My car has the RC5 update. I have just connected it to my WiFi and it accepted the android system and app center update you mentioned. I know little about things electronic, but think the RCx updates are fixes for the interface between the android system and the car systems.
Yeah that's my guess. The 'system' in this case is probably the framework that the App Centre runs on. However I noted an earlier post that suggested the App Centre might be partly possible for the main issue. That's possible. Both updates claimed to be 'system apps' so they might be running on the main system thread. If that were the case they could interfere with overall infotainment operation. RC5/6 might allow the system to recover from a lock whereas the App Centre update could make it less likely to lock.

But that's definitely speculation on my part. I'm not intending to upgrade my firmware until the next service in March.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »
Interestingly I've not yet had any slow boots from my system. And because I'm doing the 'turn ignition on, wait, then start' the infotainment unit gets two switch on events every time I get into the car so I would have expected something by now.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
My local dealer advised today that the latest update (RC6) has just been made available.

My car's system has been OK after several months with RC5 without any of the previous annoying symptoms, so I don't see any immediate need to update unless/until it starts playing up again.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the info, my system is working ok on RC5 but its worth knowing that RC6 has been released.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
Interesting. My car is going for its first service on Thursday so I might ask them to upgrade me. But I haven't had any issues since I applied the two App Centre updates a month ago and that's on RC4.

guest6570

« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »
I purchased a Jazz 1.3 EX Navi just over a week ago now and actually quite like the infotainment system but accept it's still early days in my case so errors may eventually occur. It's a pre-registered vehicle and had only 40 miles on the clock when I bought it, only used as a demonstrator, registered in June 2016 (16 plate).

I did do a couple of app updates when prompted to do so by the system, I think it was Aha and a system app but not totally sure as I wasn't too concerned and didn't pay too much attention to the process. Having now stumbled upon this post about all the annoying errors you guys are having I'm a little concerned as to what update level I'm at and how to find out which it is?

What exactly is RC4, RC5 and RC6 - are they like firmware updates to the infotainment system itself or the whole electronics system in the vehicle?

Also, what does the RC bit relate to?

Thanks in advance of any replies.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »
Hopefully you won't have any trouble, there does seem to be a picture building that Honda might finally have cracked it. There don't seem to be any recent purchasers on here reporting the kind of issues some of us early adopters had, and the various updates seem to be keeping the bugs at bay now.

Don't know what RCn stands for, it just seems to be Honda's numbering system for the updates. I think they update just the infotainment system rather than the whole vehicle, but that's only an assumption and happy to be corrected if anyone knows otherwise. It's actually quite difficult to establish what state any particular system is at, you won't find a menu stating "RC4 installed": you have to infer it from the system build state which you find by digging into the Android settings. For my car it's 0C.091.01.0021 ... but note that appears to be the same for both RC4 & RC5. Some of the earlier posts in this thread have screenshots. Also I note you have the Navi version (mine isn't) so it may be different on your car.

Enjoy the car, it has it's foibles but don't they all ?

guest6570

« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
Hopefully you won't have any trouble, there does seem to be a picture building that Honda might finally have cracked it. There don't seem to be any recent purchasers on here reporting the kind of issues some of us early adopters had, and the various updates seem to be keeping the bugs at bay now.

Don't know what RCn stands for, it just seems to be Honda's numbering system for the updates. I think they update just the infotainment system rather than the whole vehicle, but that's only an assumption and happy to be corrected if anyone knows otherwise. It's actually quite difficult to establish what state any particular system is at, you won't find a menu stating "RC4 installed": you have to infer it from the system build state which you find by digging into the Android settings. For my car it's 0C.091.01.0021 ... but note that appears to be the same for both RC4 & RC5. Some of the earlier posts in this thread have screenshots. Also I note you have the Navi version (mine isn't) so it may be different on your car.

Enjoy the car, it has it's foibles but don't they all ?

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I'm hoping you're right about Honda having finally cracked it and resolved the bugs in the software. Obviously my vehicle being pre-registered in June 2016 I'm not sure if the dealer will have applied all the various updates during the time it was on the forecourt or as part of a pre-delivery handover to me. Or maybe I have applied the relevant updates when I was prompted by the system. I'll just have to see how it goes.

I was just lucky that the model was a Navi version, although I'm not keen on Garmin and I've found it's not very reliable giving traffic warnings. I was stuck in a jam on the motorway yesterday for ages and it never warned of any delays! I have a TomTom standalone SatNav with live traffic services and speed cameras which I prefer but don't fancy putting it on the top of the dash and spoiling the looks, also its a little fiddly setting it up with cable and mount. I suppose the inbuilt Garmin has the advantage of being a large screen.

I am enjoying the car and accept that no car can be 100% perfect but it's not far off for me. Only issue for me is that I have a Nissan NV200 Campervan that I am driving as well until it's sold, its great to drive and has a high driving position, but once I get in the Jazz it's like I'm getting in a Formula 1 car its that much lower to the ground :-)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
Software vendors often do a pre-release version of software called a release candidates (RC1, RC2, etc.) which would normally only be available to select customers in advance of an official release.  It is likely that Honda have misused this naming convention and made them generally available after testing.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
My car is a July 2016 registered car which was ordered from the importers stash of cars mid July. It came with RC4 which did not give trip "A" information on the info display. The RC5 update fixed this, if your car shows all the fuel consumptions (4mpg optimistic) I suspect it will have RC5 although mine didn't.

Tags:

anything