Poll

What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?

0W-30
13 (27.1%)
5W-30
29 (60.4%)
5W-40
3 (6.3%)
10W-30
1 (2.1%)
10W-40
2 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?  (Read 22829 times)

bayliss40

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 03 reg 1.4 cc
Re: What type of engine oil do UK owners use & how often?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
8 spark plugs, it's not a V8 , just as well you said

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
8 spark plugs, it's not a V8 , just as well you said

Even garages miss the rear plugs and they get left in for ever and the gap gets bigger and that is when jerking and misfiring can happen.  Another problem is that when they are not changed the large gap can cause coil pack insulation to fail....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »
I have the Haynes manual for the Mk1 Jazz. It's as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Haynes manuals do tend to be a bit general on some things,  but IMHO better than having nothing. at least they tell you to change all 8 spark plugs.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
Haynes manuals used to be great. I rebuilt my first ever gearbox with a Haynes manual and a set of good spanners. Now anything more complicated than emptying the ashtray they suggest "See your dealer".

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »
Honda UK now officially recommends 0W-20 for the majority of petrol engines since 2003 with the exception of diesels and hybrid,pre 2006 Civic Type R,Legend,pre 2005 HRV, S2000 and NSX.
I personally would be wary of using such a light viscosity oil on an older vehicle especially if it has covered more than 100,000 miles due to the oil burning issue but I use the 0W20 in one of my Jazz that has done 60000 miles with no oil burning issues whatsoever or no more noticeable audible engine noise.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
Haynes manuals used to be great. I rebuilt my first ever gearbox with a Haynes manual and a set of good spanners. Now anything more complicated than emptying the ashtray they suggest "See your dealer".

I think that modern cars are so much more complicated than the older ( agricultural ) ones that many things like ABS problems the manual is going to say 'consult dealer' ( maybe for legal reasons )  that is all most modern instruction manuals seem to say as well ( 90% of them is health and user safety warnings - and a few pages with faults listed and 'consult manufacturer' for most of them )  - there is much in modern cars in the form of electrics, electronics, servos and software that is not fixable by average DIY home mechanic anyway.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:03:56 PM by culzean »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »
Honda UK now officially recommends 0W-20 for the majority of petrol engines since 2003 with the exception of diesels and hybrid,pre 2006 Civic Type R,Legend,pre 2005 HRV, S2000 and NSX.

The fact that the thin oils are advertised as 'fuel saving' and not 'ultimate engine protection' worries me a bit,  and they tend to be pricey,  where a good brand 5W-30 is very good value.   As I have said previously most highly stressed motorbike engines tend to recommend use of 10W40 and actually warn against using thinner grades.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
I have said previously that a technical engineer for a major manufacturer of motor oils told my son-in-law, in the course of his work as a mechanic, not to use 0W- lubricants in old engines with more than 100,000 miles on them, but to use 5w- or10w- oils. This advice was issued not for protection but to combat increased oil consumption figures.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2020, 06:15:01 PM »
I've had Jazz Hybrids (two) since Sept 2011, done 366,000 miles and never added oil between services.

bayliss40

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 03 reg 1.4 cc
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. Just checked the oil level only daughter's Jazz and it's couple of millimetres below full, so I've left as is.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2020, 08:25:14 AM »
I change my oil every 12000 miles. Not at the recommended 6000 miles. It is only towards the 9000 miles that I have to add oil.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »
I changed the oil in mine at the beginning of last year and again this March, 5 w 30 synthetic from ECP both times. I'd done 10k miles bringing it up to 122k. It didn't need a drop in between, though it is noticeably smoother on the fresh oil.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags: