Author Topic: Insurance Renewal...How Much!  (Read 8935 times)

guest4871

Re: Insurance Renewal...How Much!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44039846

Do read some of the Have Your Say comments at the end - particularly the highest rated.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but BISL are also behind AA Insurance Services, RAC Insurance Services and many many others too including comparethemarket.com !

Indeed, there's usually a string of them somewhere near the cheapest on the comparison sites. Lots of banks use BISL too, Halifax, Lloyds, etc.. I have used them when the price is too low to refuse, I paid about £120 all-in for house insurance a couple of years ago through Halifax - but when it's very cheap, BISL tends to jack the price right up on renewal.

At the cheaper end, I would always recommend trying Quotemehappy (Aviva). Quotes are usually competitive, maybe not the absolute cheapest, but we've been with them for a couple of spells and always found customer service helpful, they don't charge for policy changes, don't use auto renewal, and renewals are usually fair.

Make sure you try more than one comparison site. The same policy can be different prices on different compare sites, sometimes wildly different. In my experience, I find that confused.com usually has the cheapest quotes for me, probably more than 80% of the time, but I know that doesn't apply to everybody.

Finally, if you want the cheapest possible, don't forget to go through Quidco or Topcashback.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »
'Quote Me Happy' do not quote for the over 75's.

Vic.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »

Vic.
That's me out, for next year.... 🤔
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Hi Dan & Chris, Will be doing further 'quotes' in few days time (after service & MOT & after recovery of having grandson!)) as will have to put correct date for insurance to start (knew the approx date but to enable to go click through & potentially buy early need exact date).

At same time will cert look at Adrian Flux and also NFU (agree big bonus is speaking with person, live). My original thoughts regarding car insurance is that they should be cheaper than previous years if all circs remain same (& view is they should if no fault claim made) but unfortunately as many find out this not always the case-again, loyalty seems to mean less each year!

Agree with others that seems to go in peaks and troughs-new customers get best deals, and possibly for year 2 and maybe, if lucky year 3! Then up it whacks & we start the marry go round again! (Goes to show that conspiracy theorists do have something, where all main companies, whatever business it maybe, eg supermarkets,
that they all get together at some secret location and decide between themselves what is to happen pricewise).

TY for pointers & let you enjoy last of our 'summer'!
Ok no worries.
Regards,
Dan.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »

I think quite a few of the lower cost insurers have restrictions on who they will quote. The only reason I mention QMH is that we have always found them very efficient and helpful for an online-only insurer.

Also, don't overlook brokers, such as Adrian Flux, particularly if your circumstances are less than straightforward. We found a broker very useful recently, being happy to honour proof of NCD over two years old, thus preserving full NCD which we thought would be lost.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
Having got my renewal from Lloyds with a £30 increase I decided to look further at quotes I had got from Go Compare.
I tried the Tesco one which was very competitive and corrected the start date and the premium went up by £40! I carried on comparing and came back to Tesco to find the premium had gone up again!
I phoned Lloyds saying I had got my renewal and that I could do a lot better than their quote, what can they do to compete and got a premium reduction of £60. That finished up being lower than last year.
I renewed with Lloyds.

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »
I phoned Lloyds saying I had got my renewal and that I could do a lot better than their quote, what can they do to compete and got a premium reduction of £60.

Always worth a try, get your quotes and ring your insurer. More often than not, they will quote cheaper.

Don't tell them your cheapest quote unless you feel that it will help, I have had companies come down so much on the renewal that they beat the best quote!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »
Morning All. Sparky, had already gone back to renewal company after getting alternative and they chopped £40 off-from £530 to £490 & admitted that may be the best they can do! That was when I was receiving quotes as low as £350 from QMH & couple of others at same price, which renewal company knew about! can't really see them coming down a further £140!

Went through pretty much same scenario 3-4 years ago & this why (I think made earlier comment) that companies seem to go through a 3 year cycle...2 cheap years and then astronomical rise in year 3 forcing a change & then 2-3 years down the line going back to original co who now quote 50% of what they did back when insured with them!

Will be going through motions and finalising this over next couple of days & will cert return to update! TY though.

guest5545

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
Hi All, As title says it all I think!

General query with other members. I recently received renewal in disbelief-my quote for coming year has risen by £110.00 - last years premium was £422.00 and now they want £532.00.

I received email from confused.com giving quotes (based on last years information) of lowest at £365.00. I also noted quote for current company of £406.00 (Alot less than renewal quote of £532.00).

The only factor that has changed is in July last year a 'no fault' claim was made and all costs recovered from other driver at fault (we were stationary at pedestrian crossing in supermarket car park & other driver reversed out of parking space causing damage to our bumper. It turned out that we were both insured by same company and insurance company called me explaining that othe driver was to blame & they would recover costs from same. Person calling also confirmed that this would not damage my no claims discount - which is true as it now stands at 9 years NCB - we would not be charged for hire car and effectively should be as though nothing ever happened as far as my circumstances were concerned) this is until we received the above quote adding in excess of 25% from last year.

Should also say at moment am waiting until Monday to speak with insurance company re their £532 figure, but in meantime I am also loathed to make any further enquiries with online comparison websites as this would mean I will have to include the 'no fault claim' for estimates (mention this as there are few companies that do not charge added premiums for no fault claims-if that makes sense).

Asking members for any advice on matter or any quotes they have received with or without 'no fault claim' & who with?

Many thanks for reading.
My renewal with L V has just come through at £263, last year was £268.  Not too shabby in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »
Great going...£5.00 increase for renewal as oppose to mine of, initially, £530.00! Well all done & dusted, for next year at least.

Spoke 1stly with current company to advise will not be accepting their renewal & to just run current cover until end of month & not cancel-easier than expected to contact them. Should add when I was asked if I had had any cheaper alternatives for current company from any comparison sites, mentioned had seen quote for £440 (down from latest £490 they re-quoted so a further £50 off...a total so far of £90.00 off original renewal quote) but that offer was for new customers only...yet only at this stage they tell me they would still honour that cheaper quote, even though not new customer. Asked of they could match £340-350 that had been quoted by other co's, they said they couldn't/weren't allowed to! Anyway, not an unpleasant conversation & dealt with quite satisfactorily.

So, new quotes obtained with correct date for renewal. Along with QMH, next least inexpensive deal on 3 websites was, unsurprisingly (other co part of Aviva) General Accident, best deal £346 from (still) QMH and £3 more for GA at £349.00-decided to opt for GA, purely as they have UK telephone contact for 1st month after policy commences. All else all online same as pretty much previous company (save for case of claims). So, maybe a bit of work into it but saved best part of £200.00 smackers which more that paid for service and MOT-which was passed.

1 other bonus, was no need to mess about sending proof of NCD, as when speaking with advisor (due to at most inopportune time for broadnet to go on a wobbly) also learnt they can access previous company information, although not affiliated to previous insurers, which confirmed current NCD. All round, at moment happy chappy. Now to sit back with....

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »
1 other bonus, was no need to mess about sending proof of NCD, as when speaking with advisor (due to at most inopportune time for broadnet to go on a wobbly) also learnt they can access previous company information, although not affiliated to previous insurers, which confirmed current NCD.

Yes, a lot of companies can do that now. Even if they don't/can't, usually it's only a case of taking a photo of your renewal invitation and uploading it to the website.

It's so easy to swap insurance now, it's foolish to keep paying the renewals without question.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
Agree totally, Paul. To be honest, if they turned round and said 'we might not be able to match £350 approx, but we can come down to below £400' I would have seriously have to think twice-purely based on treatment & customer service received off them during 'no fault' claim last year-service could not be faulted in any way. Just a shame that they lost out, due to what can only be classed as greed!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
Wife insured her Yartis with Saga - £232 last year. They asked £280 this year. Cover with Sainsbury at £137.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 12:09:01 PM »
Sainsbury's gave me my best price, all things considered. This is my second year insured with them and any time I have had to phone then it has been a very painless experience.

Tags: