Author Topic: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.  (Read 29021 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Electricity generation. The pros and the cons.
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »
It sounds grand, but the Global Warming Policy Forum is just another lobby group of climate change sceptics.

Read about the GWPF here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Warming_Policy_Foundation

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2021, 05:14:43 PM »
I think I posted a link to Andrew Montford either further back in this thread or in another one.
https://www.desmog.co.uk/andrew-montford

There we are
 Re: Climate change.
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10901.msg94816#msg94816
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:13:18 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2021, 05:34:48 PM »
It sounds grand, but the Global Warming Policy Forum is just another lobby group of climate change sceptics.

Read about the GWPF here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Warming_Policy_Foundation

So everyone on the pro-climate change side is honest and truthful and anyone with a different opinion are biased with an agenda.... yeah !  Scientists who oppose the current climate religion have their funding and media presence removed - ever wonder what happened to prof David Bellamy the darling of the green movement ? He said climate change theory was wrong - and bingo, he disappeared from public sight...

If you want an easy life and a nice little earner - toe the party line
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2021, 05:46:35 PM »

If you want an easy life and a nice little earner - toe the party line
Or a bigger earner - support big oil

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2021, 05:47:46 PM »
So everyone on the pro-climate change side is honest and truthful and anyone with a different opinion are biased with an agenda.... yeah ! 

Where exactly did I say that?

If they're not biased, why have they refused at least 4 FoI requests for transparency on their funding sources?

Bob Ward, the policy and communications director at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics, commented:

"These [FoI] documents expose once again the double standards promoted by ... the GWPF, who demand absolute transparency from everybody except themselves ... The GWPF was the most strident critic during the 'Climategate' row of the standards of transparency practised by the University of East Anglia, yet it simply refuses to disclose basic information about its own secretive operations, including the identity of its funders."

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
Something 'different'...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/16/good-vibrations-bladeless-turbines-could-bring-wind-power-to-your-home

...but this, I cannot see the point at all. You can already buy electric central heating boiler replacements which are 100% efficient, and ones integrated into electric storage heater ranges which can make use of off peak or intermittent electricity.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/16/first-microwave-powered-home-boiler-could-help-cut-emissions
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:19:01 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
Looks like it gives the benefits of a combi boiler, only heating when you need it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
Looks like it gives the benefits of a combi boiler, only heating when you need it.

You can get electric boilers that provide instantaneous hot water, can't see the difference apart from more complexity?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2021, 12:40:28 PM »
An electric water heater efficiency is basically down to insulation not the technology of the energy transfer device. 1kW.hr of heat energy put into water is the same regardless of how you do it. Efficiency of most "devices" usually comes down to heat loss, if it's a mechanical work device then heat is usually undesirable, if it's a heater then it's all desirable. A bog standard immersion heater is pretty efficient...... and cheap and simple and reliable, insulate the container effectively and away you go.

As for the small scale local generators, it's usually a case of the size. Solar and wind have a typical power "density", e.g. solar in the UK latitudes is somewhere round the 1kW/m2 range (ballpark), if you want more power it means a bigger panel area. I don't know what the typical wind power density is (easy enough to estimate) but if you want more power it means a bigger machine. I don't know what power you could expect from a 2m tall domestic wind generator, I doubt it's much on average, it's just not very big.

You have to be a little careful in considering peripheral energy sources like absorbing power from passing vehicles. If you are not careful you end up with extra drag, or it's a hidden "perpetual motion machine" (use the vehicles motion to drive a generator to charge the vehicles etc). It depends whether you can harness the "waste" energy without influencing the source.

It's generally easier to try to reduce demand than improve efficiency. 10% reduction in demand means 10% reduction, simple. I reduce the total fuel consumed by my car by leaving it parked on the drive, it's remarkably effective.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2021, 01:06:46 PM »
I have been paying an electricity bill for 50 years and I can guarantee, the price has been rising FOREVER.

Yup, price increases are a fact of life, but rise has been much steeper in last decade, in fact it has doubled in last 10 years.

In the 1970s the price of oil rose from $3 per barrel to $12 in 4 years.

UK inflation has been on a continuous trend since WW2..see chart.
 https://monevator.com/a-history-of-uk-inflation/

The oil price - which drives inflation in all energy sectors is shown here. https://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-oil-price-history-chart

Major increases were the 1970-80s and 2000-2010. Since then prices have fallen.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2021, 03:02:25 PM »
It's surprising how consistent some relative pricing has been. I remember as a 16yr old with a moped and a Saturday job an hour's wages would buy me a bit more than a gallon of petrol or a bit less than 3 pints of beer (not that as a 16yr old I would ever drink beer, oh no, not ever).
Prices today are much the same relatively (unless you are looking at London beer prices of course   :o  ).

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2021, 11:05:58 AM »
I posted this on another thread, but I thought it might be more interesting here.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/technology/two-nottinghamshire-sites-now-being-20083270

There have been rumblings about this locally for a few months, the closure of several local coal fired power stations and the ideas that are being put forward for redeveloping these highly contaminated industrial sites is causing some friction. I'm rather intrigued by the idea of the fusion reactor, it sounds more suited to the site than a 'market village' of several thousand homes built on dirty land in the middle of nowhere, by the side of a major tidal river.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
I shall be 60 this Summer and I have been following and reading about the potential for fusion power stations since I was a lad. What is interesting is that the proposed date for such has never really moved. Even in 1970 I think they were saying it was 60-80 years away. Now it seems so close.

That drawing of the Tokomak station doesn't half look like a Mr.Fusion though. Wonder if that is deliberate, subconscious or what!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »
I shall be 60 this Summer and I have been following and reading about the potential for fusion power stations since I was a lad. What is interesting is that the proposed date for such has never really moved. Even in 1970 I think they were saying it was 60-80 years away. Now it seems so close.

Same here... but we are now here and they are building these things, and believe they will be commercially viable. The ITER/DEMO project in France looks particularly impressive.

That drawing of the Tokomak station doesn't half look like a Mr.Fusion though. Wonder if that is deliberate, subconscious or what!

I knew it reminded me of something  ;D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:59:21 AM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything