Author Topic: Carwow - the 15 most RELIABLE cars revealed - buy these to avoid bills!  (Read 4115 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual

culzean

• Approved Member
Now the other end of the table ( a lot of German stuff in there ) - seems the more expensive the car the less reliable they are ( and most expensive to fix ) - I guess cost of fixing them may have weighted them to positions of least reliable.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Now the other end of the table ( a lot of German stuff in there ) - seems the more expensive the car the less reliable they are ( and most expensive to fix ) - I guess cost of fixing them may have weighted them to positions of least reliable.
I agree with you, also this classifiaction says the same.
https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
I take it Daihatsu is so good because there are so few of them.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
I take it Daihatsu is so good because there are so few of them.

Daihatsu = Toyota, so not surprising they come out well, but 2.00 seems a bit of an aberration?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
The Carwow survey is looking at older cars so it's more indicative the reliability of the Mk. 2 Jazz than the Mk. 3. The Which? car surveys have had the Mk. 2 Jazz hybrid at or close to the top of the reliability tables for several years.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda come first in an overall ranking of brands, beating even Lexus:

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
The Carwow survey is looking at older cars so it's more indicative the reliability of the Mk. 2 Jazz than the Mk. 3. The Which? car surveys have had the Mk. 2 Jazz hybrid at or close to the top of the reliability tables for several years.
As an ex-Mk3 owner I struggle to believe that it's still highly rated. I mean, fair enough, it never failed to start or get me from A to B but:

* It sometimes struggled to start first time.
* For the first six months the infotainment unit would randomly crash then take a couple of minutes to reboot. I eventually fixed this by downloading a 'bootleg' firmware update and doing it myself because the dealer couldn't find it.
* After two years the door mirrors started randomly closing and opening while I drove.

Maybe mine was duff but that Mk3 was only vehicle I've owned in the last 15 years that exhibited any kind of fault. My attempts to raise the issues with the dealer and with Honda were futile so I did the sensible thing and bought a Toyota Corolla. Now I own a flawless car again. Even better I get helpful responses from the dealer and from Toyota to general questions.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:01:47 PM by andruec »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
It's interesting. I often watch, on Youtube, a channel called "High Peak Motors" - it's an actual used car dealership and the owner is, quite obviously, a petrol head. He is a huge Land Rover fan - specifically Range Rovers and he also owns a 15 year old BMW M3 that he has restored. What's interesting is his take on reliability. The more complex the car - in short, the more expensive it is - the more unreliable it might seem to be because there is, quite simply, so much more to go wrong. He further maintains that, through his business, he has had problematic Hondas and Toyotas.

In one episode he said something that reminded me instantly of my late step father. Poor maintenance, he said, is often behind some of the reliability issues. There are people who take on expensive used cars who can't afford to maintain them and who won't put right minor issues before they become major ones.

For me it is pretty clear that Japanese makes, in general, top reliability charts. We are often then arguing about very minor differences between the makes but, in very simple terms, if you buy a Honda or a Toyota you won't go far wrong. On Toyotas, our neighbour's Yaris broke down the other day!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
As an ex-Mk3 owner I struggle to believe that it's still highly rated. I mean, fair enough, it never failed to start or get me from A to B but:

* It sometimes struggled to start first time.
* For the first six months the infotainment unit would randomly crash then take a couple of minutes to reboot. I eventually fixed this by downloading a 'bootleg' firmware update and doing it myself because the dealer couldn't find it.
* After two years the door mirrors started randomly closing and opening while I drove.

Maybe mine was duff but that Mk3 was only vehicle I've owned in the last 15 years that exhibited any kind of fault. My attempts to raise the issues with the dealer and with Honda were futile so I did the sensible thing and bought a Toyota Corolla. Now I own a flawless car again. Even better I get helpful responses from the dealer and from Toyota to general questions.
Honda have, belatedly, acknowledged those bugs. Here's a mention of the starting problem https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11414.msg84419#msg84419 while I've encountered both the infotainment system slow start and random mirror folding issues with my HR-V. Both were conveniently not long before a service and still fresh in my mind. In each case the dealer had a fix. There was an update for the infotainment system which was only applied if the customer reported the problem while the mirror switch needed to be replaced.

That said, in an ideal world the problems would have never been there to start with but Honda also need a better system for problem reporting and fixing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Mk 4 Jazz has been more thoroughly debugged.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
On Toyotas, our neighbour's Yaris broke down the other day!

In fairness to 'real' Toyotas, the Yaris is built in France  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
On Toyotas, our neighbour's Yaris broke down the other day!

In fairness to 'real' Toyotas, the Yaris is built in France  ;)

Company I worked for used to supply parts to Toyota in UK and France,  the French always demanded higher standard from us than Toyota UK ( sometimes on the limit of what was achievable ),  but what quality they got from French suppliers is another matter  :o  Another reason not to trust the French ( they still don't like us rostbiffs - and don't mention Agincourt ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
I once read an article on TV/Audio equipment and reliability. Japanese built stuff was more reliable than European. What was interesting though was the fact that Japanese brands made in Europe were no more reliable than European brands and the two European brands who built stuff in Japan were as reliable as the Japanese brands.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
"The Machine that Changed the World" is an interesting book by Messrs Womack Jones and Roos about the introduction of lean production in the automotive industry by Toyota, which had a lot to do with raising quality control methods throughout the world.  The book was first published 30 years ago, but I think the principles of lean production remain the same.  The construction industry has yet to be converted I think!  For "JIT" systems (just in time), substitute TFL (too something late).

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Sounds interesting Downsizer. I've got it vaguely in my mind that Toyota pioneered "Quality Circles" - small groups working together to improve quality and production.

Tags: