Author Topic: Help me buy a Jazz - Advice please  (Read 2616 times)

guest5236

Help me buy a Jazz - Advice please
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
Howdy Jazz owners.

Newbie here  ;D

OK let me give you the lowdown ...

I was in a relationship with the missus which recently ended, because of that I lost my job (worked for her), the car, and the dog >:(

So now I find myself in a position where I need to rebuild myself again and get back into employment, I have sold all my toys and I have £2,600 in cash all in.

I have looked at all the car reviews for the most reliable car for 2.5k and the Honda Jazz is one that I am thinking of.

So with that in mind, can someone recommend to me what kind of Jazz I can expect for that money ? do I need to be looking at a particular engine or transmission ? Ideally I would like an 04/05 Sport one with front fogs.

Is there anything I need to look out for on a test drive ? and do you recommend Manual over Auto, I have just been reading up on Auto problems.

As you are all Jazz owners knowing what you know, would you be buying a Jazz now if you were in my position ?

Hope someone can advise me on what I should be looking for so I can get a good one, because I wont have any money left if I blow it all on a motor for repairs until I find work again.

Cheers  8)

guest4512

• Topic Starter
Re: Help me buy a Jazz - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
I've got a 2005 Sport,  paid 2250 in a private sale. 77000 miles FSH,  but had cheap tyres I had to replace,  new discs pads at rear,  so call it 2.5k.

Either engine is fine,  not much difference between them in BHP terms,  1.2 is more frugal and you can get them cheapest,  only thing is you won't get AC.

There are a number of common faults you need to make yourself aware of,  they're listed in the FAQ.

Any questions fire away,  just read the FAQ first.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:29:23 PM »
My wife has the 2005 sport quite reliable car except there seems to be a trend of manual gearbox bearing failures usually between around 40k-70k miles. Ours failed bang on 50k miles. This is not a cheap fix and is a design fault, once replaced, it's fine.

The o2 sensor failed recently on ours which damaged the CAT, but we were probably unlucky as an o2 sensor is an o2 sensor, all cars have pretty similar ones.

Other than that it has never skipped a beat. It's cheap to run and maintain. In fact if you're happy to get your hands dirty, you can service it yourself fairly easily.

guest5236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated  :)

guest5207

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »
I've recently bought a 2003 HONDA JAZZ SE SPORT 5 DOOR HATCHBACK

Smashing car, great mpg only 23k miles for £2500 I believe you can get them even cheaper in private sales, mine wasn't the cheapest, but it is pretty much perfect for now and didn't require any straight off repairs...

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
Visit your local BCA auction then go back with cash the next auction, the key is length of MOT and general appearance + any sign of service invoices . NB many cars around at present in your £ range.
Good Luck.

Tags:

anything