Author Topic: My Jazz fuel consumption is shocking  (Read 17167 times)

guest4078

Re: My Jazz fuel consumption is shocking
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
Honestjohn always advises Shell posh petrol and derv, but he is running a business?
My personal take is that most modern engines especially deisels and the smaller turbo petrols are very fragile compared to the last generation of engines and so need all the help they can get.
How many younger drivers idle the turbo before switching off, for example. These cars are not going to be good used car buys in a few years time. German cars on 'extended' oil change intervals, anyone. No thanks! VAG dry DSG 'boxes, hahaha. 4.5k to replace out of warranty.
At least Honda are still making engines that do not compromise on quality over EU regulation. Drivers can help out by using decent quality consumables and driving sensibly.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: My Jazz fuel consumption is shocking
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »
Tesco Momentum 99 is highly rated in comparison tests but there is no point in topping up with it occasionally.

If you have a half tank of normal 95 octane fuel and top up with, say, Momentum 99 the fuel in your tank is now 97 octane and the alleged extra additives are diluted by a half. I think you have got to start with a virtually empty tank and then by the second fill up you will be running on 99 and then you might start to feel the benefits, if any.

I use nothing but Tesco Momentum 99 because it is reportedly good stuff, I think my car runs a bit smoother on it and there might be a slight performance gain but my fuel consumption is about the same. I use Tesco fuel because their station is conveniently close and their current loyalty points scheme means I can get a considerable reduction on the price.

Vic.

Yes - I remember reading somewhere that you need 3 tanks before any benefits are felt. Now it's so cheap I might just do that!

I also understand that if your car has a knock sensor it will advance the timing slightly thereby increasing performance?

Getting back to the OP, my fuel consumption always takes a severe jolt in the winter not helped by the amount of short runs I do.

Tags:

anything