Author Topic: Ongoing issue - hopefully solved.  (Read 2704 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Ongoing issue - hopefully solved.
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
I have had an issue with one tyre more or less constantly losing pressure. Not a lot, as Paul Daniels would have said, but a couple of pound between checks. The "more or less" is because, for the past few months it has been holding pressure. I keep my tyres at the top side of the pressure recommendations, and it never normally drops out of the recommended figures. Today, however it was a bit lower still, so I decided to bite the bullet and have it checked.
I normally always use Kwik Fit, have done since they first opened here in Kirkcaldy, back in the 70s. However, today they were busy, so I went to Farmer Autocare, started by the Kwik Fit founder Sir Tom Farmer, and they repaired it for me. I do not know what they did to the tyre, as when the guy handed me my keys back he said "Puncture repair? No charge" and went off to another job, but I do know they removed the tyre from the rim, took it away for about 15 minutes, refitted it with a new valve and then balanced the wheel. All for Gratis.
I guess I will be going to them in future.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: Ongoing issue - hopefully solved.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
I doubt it was a puncture Jocko or it'd be going down a lot quicker. How would he find such a slow puncture?

We have the same problem on the wife's Nissan Micra and it's just the alloys with a slightly corroded rim. It's been off once a few years ago but will probably need cleaning up again.

First time I've ever heard of a tyre place doing something for nothing; are you sure you weren't dreaming LOL?

Mike.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »
I know alloys can be a real pain for tyre pressure loss. That was why I had my Volvo alloys restored. My Jazz S however, has steel wheels.
I wonder if there was a screw or something in the tyre, sealing the leak for most of the time?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
I doubt it was a puncture Jocko or it'd be going down a lot quicker. How would he find such a slow puncture?

We have the same problem on the wife's Nissan Micra and it's just the alloys with a slightly corroded rim. It's been off once a few years ago but will probably need cleaning up again.

First time I've ever heard of a tyre place doing something for nothing; are you sure you weren't dreaming LOL?

Mike.

I have had local ATS Euromaster fix punctures for free,  and also checked my rear alloys for free and diagnosed corrosion under tyre bead.   

Strange I have never had to have steel rims refurbished or replace any or had leaks from under the tyre bead,  but alloys give problems all the time.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
Strange I have never had to have steel rims refurbished or replace any or had leaks from under the tyre bead,  but alloys give problems all the time.
There was nothing wrong with, or done to, the rim. The rim was on the tyre machine, in my view, while he did whatever he did to the tyre. He brought the tyre back, lubricated the beads, and fitted it straight back onto the rim, as it was.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »
I think the fact the tyre fitter applied  bead sealant is the key, on my old Subaru alloys they were always loosing pressure after storage this time I took them all to local tyre depot who resealed with bead slosh - valve were original  - no loss of pressure since March

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
Any tyre fitted worth his salt will use bead lubricant every time he fits a tyre, otherwise he risks damaging the tyre. One time, with my alloys, the tyre fitter used a black sealant compound, but this was only the white, soap paste.
I reiterate - my rims are steel, not alloys.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
Almost certainly a puncture Jocko, nail, screw or similar. I find that screws seal particularly well.  ;)

If the culprit is still present, it's not hard to locate them from inside, once the tyre is off. If the puncture is not obvious from the outside, many tyre fitters have a purpose built water bath - even the tiniest leaks can then be identified.

Oh, and tyre bead soap on every tyre mounted. The stuff they use for sealing around the bead and valve stem on scabby alloys is Rimseal, black and gooey. Steel rims virtually never give any trouble.

Nice to get it done for free. It's cost the garage a few pence for a plug and a valve stem, and I guess you might give them a chance of your business, next time you want some tyres.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:24:17 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »
Nice to get it done for free. It's cost the garage a few pence for a plug and a valve stem, and I guess you might give them a chance of your business, next time you want some tyres.
Most certainly. Kwik Fit is more convenient to get to from the house, but Farmer Autocare is not out of the way. In fact, I pass them four times a day, five days a week.
And on top of the plug and the valve they also balanced the wheel!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »
And on top of the plug and the valve they also balanced the wheel!

The plugs are sometimes enough to throw the balance out, and you should really pop the rim weights off anyway before demounting a tyre.

The freebie wouldn't have had quite the desired effect if it was all wobbly when you drove off!

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
Got charged £18 to replace a valve this week, sounds like you got a great deal there Jocko!

Always nice to have a win occasionally.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
Always nice to have a win occasionally.
Definitely. Automotive or otherwise.

Tags:

anything