Author Topic: Putting it on bricks...  (Read 2313 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Putting it on bricks...
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:56:50 AM »
I am wanting to get the alloys on my 2005 SE refurbished.

I have never put a car on 'bricks' before so have no experience how to do this.

I can put the emergency spare on one wheel and was thinking I could leave another wheel on the jack, and do them two at a time. But someone said I can't leave the car on the regular jack for too long (it would be a few days).

I have access to some fake stone blocks and only have the jack that came with the Jazz.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Putting it on bricks...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
No not bricks, they can crumble and give way at anytime. Wooden blocks would be better as they would creak and groan before giving way. Or even better go to Halfords and buy yourself some axle stands, made for the job and safe as houses.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
I just drove my car in to the alloy refurbishers, and collected it the next day, all done and dusted.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »
How much was it to have the tyres removed and the alloys refurbished, then tyres put back? Mine look like crap.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
Mine cost me £55 per wheel for the large Volvo alloys. This included truing up one of the wheels (it had a slight buckle) and new valves and wheel balancing. I had a choice of colours (more available at a slight premium) and the equipment used for fitting the tyres was all rubberised, to prevent damaging the wheels. All told a great service.
The main reason I had mine restored was because they wouldn't hold pressure. Never had any further problems after that time.
This was the company I used https://www.werestorealloys.co.uk/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »
How much was it to have the tyres removed and the alloys refurbished, then tyres put back? Mine look like crap.

Check out sites like mytyres.co.uk sometimes it's not much more than a refurbished cost to get new alloys.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »
This place in Bradford co es highly recommended and it costs £1 per inch, so £60 for the set. But they don’t handle the tyres.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
Decided on replacement wheels but I am having a hard time understanding why mytyres will only offer me  14" rims when my alloys are 15". Presumably with 14" rims I would need a different tyre size. Currently the tyres are 185/55 R15 82V. I know somebody posted a wheel size calculator of some kind on here recently but I can't seem to find where it was.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
Decided on replacement wheels but I am having a hard time understanding why mytyres will only offer me  14" rims when my alloys are 15". Presumably with 14" rims I would need a different tyre size. Currently the tyres are 185/55 R15 82V. I know somebody posted a wheel size calculator of some kind on here recently but I can't seem to find where it was.

willtheyfit.com

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
Thanks. Found some steel rims on oponeo which seem to suit.

I might even get the Alloys refurbed and then come winter can swap the tyres over and put Winters on the steel rims. Or maybe I'll just sell them.

What's the view on those plastic wheel trims? Do they serve any purpose other than decorative?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:15:22 PM by richardfrost »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »
What's the view on those plastic wheel trims? Do they serve any purpose other than decorative?
Purely decoration. I take mine off when I wash the car as the wheels get filthy behind them. That way I get wheels washed and thoroughly wash trims. When I first got the car it looked like they had never ever been off for cleaning. There was a quarter inch of brake dust behind them.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
Got the new black steel rims on. Sort of looks OK I guess.

Spent a little money on Jazzy Jeff now with the new wheels, two tyres, full service, new plugs. Runs really sweet now. Maybe good for another 110,000 miles.  ;D

So I have four original alloys, complete with centre caps, in need of refurbishment. Anyone care to make me an offer?

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »
What's the view on those plastic wheel trims? Do they serve any purpose other than decorative

They also protect your brand new wheels from being scraped when you get too close to one of those high kerbs !

Tags:

anything