Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 2419 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Tyres
« on: February 10, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
Hi, got Michelin energy tyres fitted from new, looks like they may well do 30,000 plus, is it worth replacing them with same bearing in mind they are an expensive tyre. Ty

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:46 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, a tyre is a tyre, apart from when it's a Winter or All Season tyre. Winters on my old Jazz made it unstoppable. Got All Season on my other car as it is 4x4 so should be good on those in snow.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:44 AM »
Hi, got Michelin energy tyres fitted from new, looks like they may well do 30,000 plus, is it worth replacing them with same bearing in mind they are an expensive tyre. Ty
I have to say that they are very good in the wet....

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:16:41 AM »
I work on the principle that the more expensive the tyre, the more mileage they do so the cost per mile works out about the same as a cheaper tyre which needs replacing more often. This is just my personal observation.

So if you do a higher mileage, use a more expensive tyre. If you do a lower mileage, use a lower priced tyre. Thus after, say five years, each type would would be fully worn and need replacing anyway because of age.

Summer, winter or all seasons depends on where you live and travel. In the South summer tyres all year should be fine. In areas prone to heavy weather, then winter tyres are obviously better.

Sounds to me like what you've got now might be the ideal option for you.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »
The only part of your vehicle on the road - tyres, buy the best well known make you can afford.
Try > internet  - my tyres, tyreleader & blackcirlces.
Then pop along to your local tyre dealer & ask them to match etc.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »
Mine are at 40,000, with nearside front down to 3.5 mm.  I will replace both front ones soon with the same again.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »
Yes the Michelin ES tyres are incredibly hard wearing. My new EX has the Dunlop SP20/30s on whereas the SE it replaced had the Michelins. I would say that the Michelins, give or take, last twice as long as the Dunlops. I've seen the SP2030s on the front all but knackered after 12,000 miles on my Mk2 Jazz. At just under 14,000 on my SE the Michelins had almost 6 mm on them - probably good for at least the same mileage again if not more.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
Mirrors my experience exactly.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
Based on the wear on teh Michelin CC tyres I fitted 13k miles ago, the tyres will be at 3mm at 50k miles....

(ideal for current snow)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
Just a slight difference between the Michelins and the Dunlops. I am finding the ride of the EX slightly more compliant even though the wheels are 16 inch as opposed to 15 inch on the SE. I suspect the Michelins are a bit harder and that must all be part of reducing rolling resistance to save energy.

Is that, I wonder, why they put the Dunlops on the EX?

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
We fitted Goodyear All Seasons when the Continentals got down to 3 mm. Of course, we haven't had any snow or ice since!

Continentals don't seem to last long. I've used Michelin and Goodyear mostly and have always had good service out of them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
I have to say that they are very good in the wet....

I used to fit Michelin ES+ to our Jazzes and Civic for many years because of the high annual mileage we covered,  but I have not had any for last 2 or 3 years because I don't cover anywhere near the miles I used to and I found there was a trade off between wear and grip,  but it was worth it because I am not a totally mad driver ( I ride motorbikes as well so am very aware of road conditions ).  I did notice the Michelins would spin up at some junctions where road surface was not as good as it should be,  and when braking hard ( deliberately in the wet ,  with no traffic around ) the ABS earned its keep....... the handling could also feel a bit 'squirmy' --- Have has Avon ZT7 on for a while now and the grip is much better and the handling is more positive, also when braking hard even on soaking wet roads the ABS hardly cuts in, so I would say that there is always a trade off between wear and grip,  even though we have magic high silica compounds these days,  and TBH Michelin have always had a reputation for long life but traded off against grip.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:51:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
As I mentioned in a previous thread:

There is no such thing as a silent, good gripping tyre that will last 100K miles and give good mpg.  It's a trade off between them.  You pay your money and make your choice.

I personally rate them in the following importance, but this is just me:

1) Grip
2) Longevity
3) MPG
4) Noise level

Although since that post I am tending to move "Noise level" up the list.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »
I agree with many of the points made above and the fact that I am now a low mileage driver means than I can afford to allow longevity to slip down the list of criteria. Assuming the Dunlops are nearly shot at 12,000 miles (on the front), that's still only a pair every 4 years.

I'd go for Michelins every time on the basis of what I saw on my SE if I was still doing 12,000 miles pa.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
Mine are at 40,000, with nearside front down to 3.5 mm.  I will replace both front ones soon with the same again.
Is that with energy savers. ?

Tags: