Author Topic: Jazz 2008 door warning light stays ON all the time. How to fix it?  (Read 13556 times)

guest6092

My jazz has some exterior damage at the back and bonnet cover. One side of the bonnet cover is not aligned properly due to damage.  it was due to someone hit me from behind and I hit someone in front.

Car runs smooth. But the door warning light in dashboard stays ON, even the doors locked properly. I know this might be because of some door is not engaged properly in place. But don't know how to diagnose and where the fault might be.

Also the central locking of the the door doesn't work through the push button on driver's side. It worked couple of times when the key was in position 0. But when key is placed in other places locking doesn't work. Now it doesn't work even in position 0.

Not sure if they're related problems. If anyone can give some insight would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz 2008 door warning light stays ON all the time. How to fix it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is that a door switch is faulty or damaged. Does your interior light switch on and off ok with door open/close? If not I would open one door at a time and press the small black rubber switch manually by hand and see if the door light goes off.

Infact now that I think of it maybe because your boot is not closing properly the switch is not getting engaged making the door light light up although that can be easily checked by looking if the boot light goes off or not when you close the boot.

guest6092

• Topic Starter
Jazz 2008 door warning light stays ON all the time. How to fix it?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:38:15 PM »
Thanks. Driver and passanger door and interior light switch seems to be working fine.
But can't seem to find any switch like that for boot or bonnet. Are there any?

Also the interior light doesn't lit up when opened the boot and bonnet.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
There is nothing for the bonnet and although I have never been able to find one, there is definitely something for the boot as the light in the boot comes on when boot is opened. The interior light does not come on with boot only the boot light does

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
If you have a light in the boot take the bulb out, that should remove the "door open" signal.

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Thanks both of you.
Yes found the light in the boot. Will buy one bulb and see if that solves the issue.

Btw any instruction of how to open the boot bulb?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »
The door and tailgate switches on cars are  spring operated 'normally closed' (ie contacts are closed when little rubber button is NOT pressed by the door or tailgate) - they are pretty sensitive and door does not need to be much out of position to let them spring out enough to close contacts.  The other thing is the bulb is in the positive side of the switch and when the switch contacts close they short the bulb down to earth (car bodywork) to complete the circuit and light the bulb,  so if the wiring insulation upstream of the (in this case tailgate) switch is damaged and can contact car body metal the boot light will stay on irrespective of position of the switch button - and the 'door open' warning will stay on also.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »
I have managed to open the boot light fittings. Funny enough there's no bulb in the socket. I usually don't drive at night. So never noticed the bulb is missing. This might be reason why dashboard warning is coming up ?

Also ordered this for boot is this ok? https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121854323147
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:37:48 AM »
I think the lack of bulb would not trigger a door open warning but it would stop your battery from being drained if boot light was staying on all the time. When you do replace bulb close the tailgate and lower one or more of back seats to see if boot light stays on all the time,  if it does then remove the bulb as even the small load drawn by LED bulb will flatten the battery if car is left for a couple of days (less if battery not in good state of charge),

central locking will be affected if the control system thinks a door is open, sometimes it locks briefly and then unlocks itself, sometimes it may not lock at all.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:16:43 AM »
So, where the tailgate switch is located?
Or how do they look? And any way its possible to fix?

Regarding central locking: it works when there's no key inserted in keyhole. As soon as I put the key in, no need to turn the key, the locking system doesn't work anymore. Any thoughts on that?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
So, where the tailgate switch is located?
Or how do they look? And any way its possible to fix?
The tailgate closed detection switch is in the tailgate as part of the lock mechanism, if you remove the trim panel, you'll see the unit. The switch might be stuck (most likely), a connector might be unplugged, there may be a break in the wire, or poor continuity at any point between the switch and the gauges cluster control unit at the dashboard.
You can check the switches/locks wiring either at the switch or at the multiconnector behind the dashboard gauges unit.

Tailgate Latch Switch Test

1.   Open the tailgate.

2.   Remove the tailgate lower trim.

3.   Disconnect the 2P connector (A) from the tailgate latch switch (B).

4.   Check for continuity between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminals.

There should be continuity with the tailgate open.
There should be no continuity with the tailgate closed.

Pin 16 of the 20 pole connector with grn/red wire behind the gauges should be near ground with tailgate open and +V with tailgate closed.

From hondafitjazz.com/manual Security, Locks Index:

Tailgate Latch Switch Test
Door lock component locations & tests
Power Door Lock Control Circuit Input Test (at gauges end)

UK models are 'KE with Superlocking'

Central locking probably won't work if it thinks one of the doors is still open (i.e. tailgate)
If you have suffered rear damage it's possible that the tailgate latch is now slightly out of alignment and no longer registers as closed even if it feels secure, or the tailgate release mechanism is not moving smoothly. I'd hope the rear driver's insurer would be responsible for fixing this.
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 05:23:51 PM »
Thanks TG. Just managed to spot the problem after your instructions. So the locking mechanism is supposed to turn a  little more when  trunk door hits the latch. But it doesn't reach the end point due to the damage. Not sure what happened inside. Couldn't open the locking box because the screws were too stiff. And I have damaged one of them.

Anyway found the cable that registers whether the door is locked or not.  By unplugging it, warning from dashboard disappeared. Central locking is also working perfectly fine as it should.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
TG saves the day yet again !!

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »
Just one thought on unplugged cable, will this fail MOT?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
Can't see why it would, although airbag light on or disabled is now a failure.
--
TG

Tags: