Author Topic: Front Brake Pads  (Read 1128 times)

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
Front Brake Pads
« on: June 01, 2023, 11:33:16 AM »
Yesterday, finally got around to changing the front brake pads (advised by MOT tester verbally at last test that they were wearing thin so had bought a good quality set as well as a fitting kit, waiting for better weather as I have to work outside) and now all O.K. and finding that the braking seems much smoother and more predictable, probably due to having cleaned and lubricated the mounting pins etc.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to ask if anyone else has found that the parts supplied in a kit differ to what is fitted to their car, maybe because there are differences between years? (I don't mean Mk1; Mk2; Mk3 etc. but just between years of Mk2).

I watched various You-Tube postings, read a Chilton's and looked on-line at Honda parts lists and notice that sometimes there are separate metal backing shims for the pads shown and sometimes not. Additionally there is a "V" shaped spring which locates into holes in the outer edges of the pad metal backing plate and sometimes not (and in my case there were two springs (one for each caliper) already fitted to the existing brakes, two supplied in the box of new pads and four springs in a separately bought fitting kit.

What triggered my posting was the post on here from someone who had problems with the fit of a scuttle cover who could not find any detail about his particular car which seemed to differ from other Mk2s.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
Re: Front Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »
I recently did discs and pads at the front.  Went for Brembo.  The 'V' springs were supplied with the pads but the metal backing shims were not.  However the old ones were in fine fettle, so I just swapped them over to the new pads.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 02:32:12 PM »
The metal backing plates would be anti squeal shims I think, so they wouldn't affect the braking but may reduce the squealing.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

GBH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:24:45 PM »
The thing is that the Bosch pads didn't come with separate anti-squeal shims and there were none fitted to the existing brakes (which has a full Honda dealer service history) but the Honda parts list that I viewed showed these shims being part of the Honda kit. Fortunately the old pads did not squeak and neither do the new (yet!).

What I did find strange was that there was two of the "V" shaped springs included with the pads but four were in the separate fitting kit, and the pads have enough holes to allow four springs to be fitted (but only two were in the calipers when I dismantled them. :o

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 05:49:47 AM »
"finding that the braking seems much smoother and more predictable" you say AKA in less snatchy? I'm curious since I'm pretty bored of the snatchyness on mine. No idea about that condition of the pads or make but I might take a peek and if they're just "well worn" I might opt for a change and do the gliding pins etc..
The snatchyness is eating on me often.. Reminds me of old Citroén CX....

GBH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 07:08:36 AM »
Ah! Citroen brakes. That takes me back many years when I bought a Citroen ID19.

As you may or may not know the brakes were hydraulic and powered through the same pump as the suspension. There was no brake pedal, it was a button mounted on the floor and looked very much like the light dip switch on older cars.

You just needed to rest your toes on the brake button and very, very gently flex your toes to operate the brakes. It took a while to get used to (hence why Citroen modified the brakes to a more conventional pedal layout). If you didn't respect the fantastic braking system and treated it gently it was either on or off as I discovered, managing to lock all four wheels and slide half way across a road junction after braking from 40mph to zero in a few feet!

jazzphil

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 11:29:46 AM »

What I did find strange was that there was two of the "V" shaped springs included with the pads but four were in the separate fitting kit, and the pads have enough holes to allow four springs to be fitted (but only two were in the calipers when I dismantled them. :o

Interesting!  Mine were the same - two V springs supplied, but holes in the pad backing plates for four!  If they start squealing I know what to do...

jazzphil

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 11:31:53 AM »
I'm curious since I'm pretty bored of the snatchyness on mine. .

I'd say its worth stripping the calipers down and checking on the slider pins.  Could be they are dry or even corroded and sticking - hence the snatchy feel during braking...

GBH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 11:22:27 AM »
I'm curious since I'm pretty bored of the snatchyness on mine. .

I'd say its worth stripping the calipers down and checking on the slider pins.  Could be they are dry or even corroded and sticking - hence the snatchy feel during braking...

I would agree as, although my pins had grease on them, I gave them a good clean and re-grease which I believe made all the difference.

Points to note are:

1) The upper and lower guide pins are different in that one has a plain inner end, while the other has a "rubber/plastic" tip.
2) The anti-rattle shims that fit in the calipers at the ends of the pads are also slightly different between top and bottom.

I'm not sure if it is important which way round they should be fitted and I may have  mixed mine up, but so far I haven't had any problems but, as the saying goes, "forewarned is forearmed". ;D

GBH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 08:21:17 AM »
Out of interest I have been looking at front brake fitting kits on eBay from various vendors and some contain four identical slider pins and others have two plain plus two with the "plastic" end sleeve, which I am presuming is for "anti-rattle" purposes.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 07:00:55 PM »
although mines a mk3  thought I'd mention the problems I had in ordering front pads.

First ones were Brembo ordered from a local factors  , didn't come with any fixing kit and no small holes for the anti rattle springs , plus it was obvious someone had already tried to fit them as there was copaslip on the backs. Returned and refunded.

Next was Pagid ordered form Halfords , again no kit supplied and only 1 pad had a hole for the spring ! Pagid technical admitted my complaint wasn't the only one , citing a manufacturing problem  ..... refunded

Gave up, didn't want the hassle  , let the Honda dealer do it , part no. 45022TARG01 contains pads and all the kit but £70.

Tags: