Author Topic: Best age/mileage to replace car  (Read 2479 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Best age/mileage to replace car
« on: December 07, 2022, 01:45:02 PM »
There is no right answer to the age/mileage at which to change a car, but I would be interested in hearing from any high mileage Mk3 Jazz owners who, with benefit of hindsight, can say "I wish I had changed it at X0,000 miles".

Particular area of concern is the CVT which was the cause of my MK2 Jazz being written off at 60k miles, even though it had full Honda service history.

My Mk3 has done 80K, and has been very reliable with no known current problems.

Thanks

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Best age/mileage to replace car
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 06:03:03 PM »
IMHO, as highest as possible.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
There is no right answer to the age/mileage at which to change a car, but I would be interested in hearing from any high mileage Mk3 Jazz owners who, with benefit of hindsight, can say "I wish I had changed it at X0,000 miles".

Particular area of concern is the CVT which was the cause of my MK2 Jazz being written off at 60k miles, even though it had full Honda service history.

Thanks

Mark 2 CVT relies on 25K oil change on CVT. When released it was 50k miles then reduced.
Depends on dealer but I suspect your CVT might never have had a gearbox oil change.

I change mine at 25k. intervals. CVT is fine at nearly 60k miles.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 07:10:12 PM »

Thanks

Mark 2 CVT relies on 25K oil change on CVT. When released it was 50k miles then reduced.
Depends on dealer but I suspect your CVT might never have had a gearbox oil change.

I change mine at 25k. intervals. CVT is fine at nearly 60k miles.

I was aware of the 25k/50k change. The CVT oil on my Mk2 was changed at 13063, 36422 and 57423 miles. It was already making a noise by the last change. It was changed earlier than 25k in hope it might quieten it!

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 11:42:25 PM »
seeing as you cant buy real straight forward honda any more i will be keeping mine as long as possible until it looks like it is from mad max probably and this coming from someone who changed cars every 4 or 5 years

i only changed because the mk4 was coming out and i got lucky finding a pre reg with s trim and manual so hopefully im set for a decade or two as its just clicked over 22k miles
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 11:44:39 PM by monkeydave »

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 12:06:06 AM »
Running it into the ground, or "as long as possible", or "until it looks like it's from Mad Max" are viable strategies. As I said no right answer, but we do 15K per year of largely long journeys away from home and it needs to be reliable.

Somewhere in Honda there will be the tables and graphs I would like to see, showing what problems arise at what mileage and the probability curve for each.

Perhaps I should rephrase the thread title..."What issues arose for you for first time above 100K?"

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 12:36:25 AM »
Our mk2 was purchased 2 1/2 yrs ago, and in that time we've added 33k miles. Honestly, in runs exactly the same as it did the day we bought it. Mileage is a fixation based on old knowledge. such as your Moggie Minor being shot at 60k miles etc. These days, as long as the oil & filter is changed on or before schedule, treated with care your Jazz will last until age related rot sets in.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 01:01:17 AM »
Running it into the ground, or "as long as possible", or "until it looks like it's from Mad Max" are viable strategies. As I said no right answer, but we do 15K per year of largely long journeys away from home and it needs to be reliable.

Somewhere in Honda there will be the tables and graphs I would like to see, showing what problems arise at what mileage and the probability curve for each.

Perhaps I should rephrase the thread title..."What issues arose for you for first time above 100K?"

i would prob get the oil changed twice per year if you are doing 15k per year and if you look at the fitfreak site they usually have higher mileage honda fits and they dont seem to have much go wrong all the way to 200k maybe clutch and a/c compressor etc

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 04:34:40 AM »
I only changed my Civic at 9 years old because of the 10 year parts availability I've read somewhere. I was becoming a bit paranoid that if the headunit broke Honda would say a new unit or parts were not available.

It had zero issues and only done 24k

However, I'm glad I changed to the Jazz as it's a joy to drive.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 07:36:53 AM »
Its an eternal question which strategy is best, Run a car into the ground, or replace it regularly.   No one so far has come up with a  particular fault that finishes them off at  such and such a mileage. Selling just before its due an expensive service , or tyres need replacing etc  can make sense if you are thinking of selling anyway.     But oherwise its a choice between keeping the devil you know, and expect to spend some money on repairs, ( or not if you are lucky)  or trade in regularly and expect to lose more money on depreciation.And might still be unlucky on repair costs.    You win some, you lose some. With good maintenance you win more often. 

One possible guide is how many miles are covered on warranty.  Makers  wont normally cover 100K miles if they know too many things start to go wrong by 60K for instance.  But there are good miles and bad miles.  A car is more likely to reach 100K without problem if it gets lots of long journeys with warm oil , than one that does only a few miles once a week. And if you only do a few miles, the age depreciation  per mile driven  is massive on a newer car. 

And of course many a car with perfect mechanics ends up being scrapped because of rust.

its nice to have a newer car but it can be an expensive and unnecessary  luxury  ,  Or is it ?

I kept my Yaris 14 years from new . And sold it before any major mechanical  repairs or rust. Win.  It became almost a disposable car. Any major repair required  I might just scrap it.   I only sold it because I wanted a mk4 Jazz.  Now got a taste for new fangled cars,and probably wont keep it 14 years. But you never know.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:45:11 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 07:55:03 AM »
Thanks everyone. The lack of any specific info in the replies probably just reflects that there aren't any common Jazz faults likely to appear at higher mileages....which might have determined a good mileage to change at.

Zippy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Es I-Vtec
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 08:46:42 AM »
These two sites may put your mind at ease, mikebore...

https://behindandbackward.com/qa/what-goes-wrong-with-honda-jazz.html....."On average, you can expect your Honda to last around 200,000 miles, but when maintained properly, these cars can hit over 300,000 miles."

https://www.breakeryard.com/car-parts/honda/jazz/common-problems

Loads of good previous points/posts. I think the 10 year / 100K benchmark is more of a mental barrier than a practical one.

Frequent short journeys will always produce more wear and tear than longer haul motorway trips, so type of mileage is, perhaps, more important.

Regular servicing, maintenance, and cleaning are a must for longevity.

Not sure who coined the phrase, "Bulletproof Honda", but my experience of the mark is exactly that.  ;D

Quick shout out to Kremmen, from a fellow ex-civinfo member !  ;)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 11:51:37 AM »
I think keeping a car a long time is generally perceived to be the best policy. On reflection I've changed cars too often. Part of the reason for that was, for a decent part of my career I got quite a bit of business mileage and I saved this up to go towards the next car. I just got used to changing every two to three years.

I think the MK4 might break the pattern though. I love the way it drives and my annual mileage has diminished to an annual 2,500 or thereabouts.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »
Sounds like my car history.

This Jazz will more than likely be my last car as I'm hoping to move near relatives and I won't need a car.

Since 1983 I've also changed every 3 years.
Let's be careful out there !

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 02:39:18 PM »
as there is no real cars just hybrid or electric from now on there is no choice but to keep the car as long as possible and maintain it properly

Tags:

anything