Author Topic: Seems Sharp!!  (Read 1135 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Seems Sharp!!
« on: December 06, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »
Hi
My 2010 I-shift seems a bit 'grabby' with the brakes!! How do I explain that? well It's quite difficult to brake nice and progressive, they all work very well with no pad or disc problem, however, I have never changed the fluid since new!!! I know, and will do that, do you think this could be the problem? Is there any fluid used for clutch changing?

mike

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
Re: Seems Sharp!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 08:59:58 AM »
Brake fluid should be changed periodically because of absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have seen sticking cylinders rusted internally to the point where it is not worth just changing the rubber seals and the only remedy is new cylinders.

It is certainly worth changing the fluid at this stage to see if this improves the braking. There is no guarantee that it will resolve your problem but will give you peace of mind. Also, worth stripping, cleaning and lubricating the assemblies with brake grease (copperease?) as the pads may be sticking due to a build up of pad dust.

I believe that the clutch is hydraulic and the master cylinder is on the passenger side of the front panel close to the radiator (just in front of the battery).

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 12:24:45 PM »
Here  is the  wikipedia definition.
 " The Honda I-SHIFT is a 6-speed automated manual transmission (a type of transmission with a hydraulic computer-controlled clutch)"

Basically its a conventional clutch and gearbox with the computer doing the thinking and mechanical servos doing the leg and arm work of changing gear. 

If you are absolutely sure the brakes themselves are working properly in every respect it could be a problem with the automated gear changes. Same as a learner  driver  changing down too early, and maybe releasing the clutch with bit of  a jolt. You get extra engine braking  adding to the  conventional braking making it seem 'grabby' .  And being automated it may be unexpected.   This is just speculation.  I dont know.

As for clutch hydraulic fluid being the cause problem its important  not to confuse it with changing the fluid in a CVT gearbox.  CVT fluid needs replacing because it significantly degrades,and no longer does its job .

With a conventional  hydraulic clutch ,(as used in the I-shift)  a different kind of fluid is used . As GBH says the problem here is it absorbs  water over time.  Fluid is changed periodically as a precaution to minimise the chances of moving  parts rusting and clogging.  But until any damage happens  the fluid itself  still functions reasonably well, even with water in it.
   Sorry to say  just changing the fluid  probably wont restore it to working order if parts have already been damaged.Or if there is problem such as a leak, or air bubbles in the  fluid  that need bleeding out  .      But do it anyway  as a precaution,  even if its not actually the cause of your problem.    If it does improve it, then thats a bonus.

Its possible there are other adjustmens that can be made,  or even expected to be made to I-shift cars and might even be included  as part of a periodic  service.  Or its something else entirely.  But these are beyond my knowledge.     
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 12:31:31 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 02:23:52 PM »
Thank You

Does the I-Shift hydraulic clutch use the same fluid and cylinder as the brake Fluid/master cylinder?

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 04:33:00 PM »
hi  i have an i shift 2010 48 ,000 miles the auto matic clutch fluid is topped separately up by a very small seprate reservoir just in front of the battery  under the front sill of the engine compt  it has a large black screw  cap have changed my gearbox oil myself you must use only  MTF honda fluid NOT ATF makes a great difference when changed the car does seem to jerk along normally better when warmed up but brakes are always a lilt grabby discs front and back

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
Thank you Kevin, will have a look at that and probably treat the old girl to new brake fluid and gearbox fluid, will ask the garage about that other small I-shift fluid.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 08:27:33 AM »
I can see no reason for the clutch fluid being any different to that of the brakes - providing you use a decent brand of DOT3 / DOT4 specification.

The main problem I see is that there is no clutch pedal to press in order to bleed in the conventional way. I am presuming that garages use some sort of vacuum or pressure pump to do this and most people will only have the usual length of clear plastic hose and a jam jar.

I have a hand operated vacuum pump (Mityvac) for bleeding hydraulic systems but looking at the current costs of these (from around £45 upwards) I would probably ask a garage to do the job for me if I didn't already have the tool.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 01:14:40 AM »
Hi
My 2010 I-shift seems a bit 'grabby' with the brakes!! How do I explain that? well It's quite difficult to brake nice and progressive, they all work very well with no pad or disc problem, however, I have never changed the fluid since new!!! I know, and will do that, do you think this could be the problem? Is there any fluid used for clutch changing?

mike

Got the same grabby/snatchy/jumpy brakes meself and as one other mentioned: Main thing is ensure the front calipers and slider bolts is in mint nick and lubed. That is a classic basic thing to ensure.
Fluids: Don't be stingy, it will cost. Change brake/clutch fluids every 2'nd year no later than 5 year. Do coolant every 5 WITH original Honda type 2 fluids.
If not, you will regret sooner or later.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 10:30:37 PM »
Brake fluid should be changed periodically because of absorption of moisture from the atmosphere. I have seen sticking cylinders rusted internally to the point where it is not worth just changing the rubber seals and the only remedy is new cylinders.

Seen and experienced eggzaxtly the same multiple times. The fluid turns to rusty gunge and the cylinders starts pitting and gouging inside. MUCH cheaper to change the fluids every 4 yrs or so.

Tags: