Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35428 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »

This is only if you use brake hold, I normally just flick the normal handbrake on and then it releases itself when you pull away. You can also set the handbrake to come on when you  turn the igniton off, so otherwise you don't need to touch it.
[/quote]

Does brake hold come on automatically every time you start the car or do you have to activate it manually? I would have thought that automatic brake hold is far more useful than lane keeping assistance!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2021, 11:24:59 AM »
That sounds like a plan.

I always use my current handbrake and not sit on the footbrake like many. I know some cars like Merc and Lexus make it very hard to apply the 'handbrake' as it's labelled a 'parking brake' and is only really useable when parked as it's not easy or quick to release.

Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »

Does brake hold come on automatically every time you start the car or do you have to activate it manually? I would have thought that automatic brake hold is far more useful than lane keeping assistance!

You activate each journey if you require it.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »

You activate each journey if you require it.
So you have to deactivate lane keeping assistance and activate auto brake hold! That seems strange as why wouldn't you want auto brake hold and why would you want lane keeping assistance if you live in the country with narrow roads!!!
How much effort is it to make changes before setting off?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »
I haven't driven one, but if you have to turn brake hold on and you get used to it. Then one day you forget, could you roll back into someone because you forgot ?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2021, 04:23:43 PM »
I’m not sure I understand the point of Brake Hold, I’ve never driven a car with it so I’m not really sure what benefit it brings. My habit - acquired through many years of driving - is to apply the handbrake (aka parking brake) whenever I’ve stopped the car and don’t want it to move. Then just release it to drive away; even easier with an electric parking brake, you don’t even have to remember to release it. So what does Brake Hold do for you? Does it just relieve you of the “chore” of having to apply the Parking Brake? If it’s like Hill Start Assist (which I hate because it holds the brake on when you don’t want it to) on the Mk3, then getting into the habit of turning it off sounds like a good idea.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2021, 05:07:00 PM »
Regarding lane assist, is it possible to disable it permanently? Or must it be switched Off for every journey?
If it is the latter, then I see that as a PITA. Maybe it’s possible to pull a fuse, so that it is permanently Off?
As others have said it seems to me, that this function can be dangerous in some circumstances.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:55 PM »
I agree.

The century old tried and tested handbrake can be feathered or used at a pressure required. The electric handbrake must be on or off, no middle ground, so some form of hill start is required. In this case, as I understand, the handbrake releases when you accelerate from a stop.

The other thing for me is that I have full confidence in a cable handbrake because with the electric one you are relying on technology and we all know that technology is not always 100%.

When Ruislip Honda didn't anchor my floormats on my 2009 Civic the drivers mat ran up the pedals and I had to quickly use the  handbrake to stop. Fortunately this was on their forecourt. Flicking a switch may have had me through the wibsccreen.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »
I agree.

The century old tried and tested handbrake can be feathered or used at a pressure required. The electric handbrake must be on or off, no middle ground, so some form of hill start is required. In this case, as I understand, the handbrake releases when you accelerate from a stop.

The other thing for me is that I have full confidence in a cable handbrake because with the electric one you are relying on technology and we all know that technology is not always 100%.

When Ruislip Honda didn't anchor my floormats on my 2009 Civic the drivers mat ran up the pedals and I had to quickly use the  handbrake to stop. Fortunately this was on their forecourt. Flicking a switch may have had me through the wibsccreen.
I think you have to accept that modern technology is infinitely more reliable than “tried and tested” technology! I remember the old technology in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s - unreliable and always needing fixing, service intervals at 3k miles - and the rust.
Like most people of my vintage we are well equipped with rose tinted glasses - but that is what they are - glasses!

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2021, 08:26:43 AM »
I’m not sure I understand the point of Brake Hold, I’ve never driven a car with it so I’m not really sure what benefit it brings. My habit - acquired through many years of driving - is to apply the handbrake (aka parking brake) whenever I’ve stopped the car and don’t want it to move. Then just release it to drive away; even easier with an electric parking brake, you don’t even have to remember to release it. So what does Brake Hold do for you? Does it just relieve you of the “chore” of having to apply the Parking Brake? If it’s like Hill Start Assist (which I hate because it holds the brake on when you don’t want it to) on the Mk3, then getting into the habit of turning it off sounds like a good idea.
I thought this about brake hold, that I’m so used to using handbrake there is no need. But now, I find myself turning it on every journey. It’s so convenient. Brake to a stop in traffic or at lights, then just press accelerator showing to go. Minimum fuss. It kinda fits in with having auto instead of manual. Less for the driver to do.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2021, 08:48:00 AM »
Regarding lane assist, is it possible to disable it permanently? Or must it be switched Off for every journey?
If it is the latter, then I see that as a PITA. Maybe it’s possible to pull a fuse, so that it is permanently Off?
As others have said it seems to me, that this function can be dangerous in some circumstances.
There are actually two separate but related systems: (i) The Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and (ii) The Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS). LKAS is intended to stop people drifting out of traffic lanes and RDMS tries to be even cleverer and detect (a) going off the edge of a road, (b) crossing road markings and (c) driving into an oncoming vehicle. In principle they are a good idea and, no doubt, get extra points in safety assessments (which is why they are enabled by default). The systems are also sensitive to how actively a driver is trying to adjust the steering - drive with a light touch and they are more likely to get excited. They may not turn the steering wheel much, but any movement of the steering wheel is disconcerting (and intended to wake a dozing driver) while there's also the associated squawk from the vehicle.

The systems are generally fine for bigger roads but struggle on minor roads where a pothole avoidance system would be more welcome.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »
With all these systems there should be options.

On
Off
On permanent
Off permanent

But I guess NCAP are ruling this, or should I say 'Euro NCAP' say no more..

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »
There are actually two separate but related systems: (i) The Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and (ii) The Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS). LKAS is intended to stop people drifting out of traffic lanes and RDMS tries to be even cleverer and detect (a) going off the edge of a road, (b) crossing road markings and (c) driving into an oncoming vehicle. In principle they are a good idea and, no doubt, get extra points in safety assessments (which is why they are enabled by default). The systems are also sensitive to how actively a driver is trying to adjust the steering - drive with a light touch and they are more likely to get excited. They may not turn the steering wheel much, but any movement of the steering wheel is disconcerting (and intended to wake a dozing driver) while there's also the associated squawk from the vehicle.

You say these systems are enabled by default.
The thought of having to disable them on every journey, i think would put me off upgrading to a Mk4 vehicle.
Sounds like it is technology for technology's sake!

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2021, 10:35:53 AM »
RDMS is a pain on small roads. LKAS is great because it’s elective, but RDMS needs to be disabled every trip...

Re the handbrake - coming from EVs, I was taken by surprise when selecting P didn’t auto engage the parking brake!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
I agree.

Electronic handbrakes (EPB) are pointless. The lever has worked for ever, and is 100% reliable. Adding motors and a switch literaly solved a problem that didnt exist!

Ask any owner of a slightly older car with an EPB how they feel about them! Herr Passat B6 is a case in point. Pointless devices that just add a lot of complication and expenses as any mechanic will tell you.

Tags: