Author Topic: 2005 Honda Jazz rough idling  (Read 2168 times)

Lizabetty

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda jazz
2005 Honda Jazz rough idling
« on: March 14, 2024, 09:53:05 AM »
I’m hoping someone could help me.
My 2005 Honda jazz feels like it’s going to stall when on low revs/at a complete stop. I have noticed this only happens when it’s in gear. When I put it into park or neutral, it’s quieter, and doesn’t “rattle” .
At first I thought it was because of having the air con on, but have discovered it happens even with air con off ( although I have booked in to get the air con regassed).
Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: 2005 Honda Jazz rough idling
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 10:41:19 AM »
To help with your Jazz problem ,  please provide some info, current  mileage, last service date & mileage. ,  has your Jazz had this issue before , your weekly journey town or country driving .The forum will then be able to help identify likely causes.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 10:50:17 AM »
Internal combustion engines  normally run rough if they drop below its  minimum  happy idle speed . As you say  it can slow down even more if its under a bit of extra  load, such as  turning the air conditioning compressor, or even the alternator if its under extra load   for headlights, heated rear window etc.   

Usually the cars ECU, (electronic control unit) uses various sensors to detect if its running slow or rough and speeds it up and automatically adjusts settings. 
  Unfortunately there are many possible reasons why the ECU may get it wrong, or unable to improve the running.  . Faulty sensors, clogged valves,  old spark plugs, etc.   Although these are may be  maintained during a service  its  not uncommon for garages to  take short cuts  as  cars will often run well enough for years even if they save themselves some time and costs on parts.   

If the car is overdue a service  and its done properly ,  this may cure the problem.   There are one or two things you might be able to check yourself  such as whether the air filter is clogged with dust and bugs etc, or an air leak in the pipes from the filter to the engine.   But most causes may need an experienced mechanic to check for fault codes etc using an OBD2 scanner. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lizabetty

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 11:12:58 AM »
To help with your Jazz problem ,  please provide some info, current  mileage, last service date & mileage. ,  has your Jazz had this issue before , your weekly journey town or country driving .The forum will then be able to help identify likely causes.
Jazz has had a full service in February of this year. Replaced spark plugs and fuel filter. It has never had this problem before. Just over 102,000, and had just been driven around town. It may be worth noting that it’s been very hot and dry weather since this started ?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 04:35:33 PM »
Thanks, please check the service included 8 not 4 spark plugs.

Lizabetty

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 08:57:30 PM »
Thank you. Yes 8 spark plugs were done.

Tags: