Author Topic: Headlamp assist on the ex  (Read 1578 times)

Gordon69

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Headlamp assist on the ex
« on: January 06, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
My headlamp assist does not seem to be working, I have had the car a week and any tips would be welcome.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Headlamp assist on the ex
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »
Do you mean the automatic main beam / dipped beam mechanism?  If you use the manual main beam stalk-switch, the automatic system is cancelled for the rest of that trip.  If you want to retore it during the trip, you need to pull the stalk towards you for about three seconds I think.  I've found it to be very effective usually, but on the odd occasion it's a bit slow to dip, as it waits until the approaching lights are clearly visible.

Gordon69

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
Thanks fur the reply mine works a treat , it was just because I used it manually and didn't realize that I had cancelled it.

Brian Merrick

• Registered Member
  • bmerrick52@yahoo.com
  • Fuel economy: always does more than 50 MPG
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 3
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 11:11:48 AM »
I find the auto dipping lights fantastic, best thing ever,all cars should have this by law.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
I find the auto dipping lights fantastic, best thing ever,all cars should have this by law.

No - drivers should pay attention and dip their own lights..... I dip my main beam as soon as I see any lights in the distance...not when oncoming lights are actually shining on a sensor on my car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Phil613

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2017 Elegance
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
I agree - this is an awesome feature. It lets you keep both hands on the wheel on those dark back roads.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »
It lets you keep both hands on the wheel on those dark back roads.
Where is your dip switch? Mine lets me keep both hands on the wheel when I need to dip my lights. I just need to stretch out one finger!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:43:09 AM »
I have to say the headlight assist system works very well. I don't do much night driving and even less on unlit roads but the odd occasion I have done, the system has worked faultlessly.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
I quickly switch over to manual control as the problem with this system is that it needs to see a pair of lights before switching to dip so there's a brief period of dazzling any oncoming drivers. Also, and perhaps worse, it struggles to detect a vehicle waiting at junction as there's no neat pair of lights to detect. The unlucky driver of that vehicle gets temporarily blinded. (I should note that I use the Classic Car LED H4 bulbs which have an excellent dipped beam pattern but are like a pair of floodlights when on main beam).

I wait with interest to see if the technology on the Mk. 4 Jazz is sufficiently improved to overcome the shortcomings noted above. Honda claims that it can detect pedestrians and cyclists.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 05:48:46 PM »
I quickly switch over to manual control as the problem with this system is that it needs to see a pair of lights before switching to dip so there's a brief period of dazzling any oncoming drivers. Also, and perhaps worse, it struggles to detect a vehicle waiting at junction as there's no neat pair of lights to detect. The unlucky driver of that vehicle gets temporarily blinded. (I should note that I use the Classic Car LED H4 bulbs which have an excellent dipped beam pattern but are like a pair of floodlights when on main beam). ...

Another issue I have is that when you come up to a section of road that has roadside black/white posts with red reflectors on them the lights dip as they think they are rear lights ....  I would say they work OK about 80% of the time. The rest of the time you have to use the old fashioned method and actually use your brain and do things properly. So you may as well do this anyway.

A few years ago I was an an advanced driving course with a traffic policeman (IAM? Not sure, maybe ...). One of the women on it said that it was too much trouble to dip/undip your lights in an urban environment with the number of cars. The policeman's reply was along the lines of Windsor Davis's immortal words  (oh dear, how sad, never mind!) laced with comments about how that was not how you should drive as a beginner, let alone an an advanced driver!
Dave
Carpe diem …

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
Another issue I have is that when you come up to a section of road that has roadside black/white posts with red reflectors on them the lights dip as they think they are rear lights
I've never met this problem, and I'm puzzled by the way the system can distinguish between reflected light and illuminated rear lights;  perhaps it's to do with reflected light being polarised.
I was driving for an hour last night along twisty Suffolk roads and realised that the problem of dazzling on-coming drivers only arises when approaching left-hand bends, when my full beam was across their approach.  Right-hand bends are not a problem.  I don't see how this can be resolved technically, and I think occasional manual intervention will always be needed (until all cars are driven by artificial intelligence, which presumably can't be dazzled, and may not even need headlights at all!)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »
Unfortunately not all implementations are equal. I love my Toyota Corolla but the automatic main-beam is very poor. It's the one aspect of the car that Honda have done better.

Tags:

anything