Author Topic: Hybrid 12v Battery Type?  (Read 10432 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Hybrid 12v Battery Type?
« on: April 15, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
Hiya,

Hopefully everyone is staying safe and well.

My Hybrid hasn't been used for 3 weeks, so I decided to start the car, however the battery is dead. So I jump start it and overnight its dead again. So I am looking for a new battery. It appears that I need battery code 054 however when I go to buy one via RAC (only place I can find one) it says its not appropriate for stop-start cars. I know the Hybrid does auto-stop, so now I am wondering what other Hybrid users have fitted when replacing their battery??

Many thanks, stay safe.

Quick Update
Following a bit of research and a few phone calls it seems I need either a type 054 AGM or 054 EFB battery, both allow for stop/start.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:16:43 PM by Ozzie »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Hybrid 12v Battery Type?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
Jazz Hybrid has neither an AGM nor EFB battery. As it does not turn the engine over to start it normally with the 12volt battery, it uses the hybrid motor and the high voltage battery. The 12 volt battery is a normal flooded battery.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »
Jazz Hybrid has neither an AGM nor EFB battery. As it does not turn the engine over to start it normally with the 12volt battery, it uses the hybrid motor and the high voltage battery. The 12 volt battery is a normal flooded battery.
This may be a silly question . . . . if the car starts with the hybrid motor and high voltage battery, why does it start with a jump start to the 12v battery?
Admittedly all the search engines say the type 054 is the one to use, its just the stop/start that has thrown me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »
This may be a silly question . . . . if the car starts with the hybrid motor and high voltage battery, why does it start with a jump start to the 12v battery?
All electric cars need the 12v battery to control the high voltage battery. If the 12v battery is flat a jump start will allow the 12v to switch the hybrid battery.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »
I have done some further research on the Varta Battery website and it seems upgrading to AGM/EFB does it no harm, so I may still go down that avenue if its a non-starter tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »
Don’t know whether this is much help, but my Jazz EX has stop/start and it is fitted with the following OEM  battery:-

Yuasa  B24(JIS) 12v, 50AH, 490CCA

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 09:56:25 PM »
The 12V battery is used to start the engine when you turn the ignition key. Once the engine is running and the ECU is sure there's juice in the hybrid system's battery then that, using the IMA system, is used to restart the engine when in stop start mode. That's why you get the instant response when the engine and vehicle are stopped - the IMA motor both starts moving the vehicle and gets the engine turning over. Fuel then gets added to boost the available power. A non-hybrid vehicle with stop-start has a  lag in response as the starter motor has to wake up the engine before the vehicle can move.

I believe that the Mk 4 Jazz still has a 12V battery, presumably to protect against the risk that the vehicle happens to be stopped and parked up when the hybrid battery has a low state of charge.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 11:59:29 PM »
Hiya,

My Hybrid hasn't been used for 3 weeks, so I decided to start the car, however the battery is dead. So I jump start it and overnight its dead again. So I am looking for a new battery. It appears that I need battery code 054 however when I go to buy one via RAC (only place I can find one) it says its not appropriate for stop-start cars. I know the Hybrid does auto-stop, so now I am wondering what other Hybrid users have fitted when replacing their battery??

Many thanks, stay safe.

Quick Update
Following a bit of research and a few phone calls it seems I need either a type 054 AGM or 054 EFB battery, both allow for stop/start.

Eurocarparts.com may have your battery and they do delivery.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 06:54:34 AM »
Tayna are also still delivering batteries, my colleague got one last week.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
Hiya,

Many thanks, stay safe.

Quick Update

Eurocarparts.com may have your battery and they do delivery.

I have found Eurocarparts pretty expensive with batteries,  and they don't stock a big range ( at least by us ) Tayna are cheap and have great service - and they are still delivering batteries.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »
I have done some further research on the Varta Battery website and it seems upgrading to AGM/EFB does it no harm, so I may still go down that avenue if its a non-starter tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments.

I have had a couple of Varta batteries on motorbikes in the past and they did not last long ---- will not be buying another one anytime soon.. never had a problem with Yuasa.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »
It gets weirder ! ! !

So yesterday, I jump start the car again, leave it ticking over for 30 minutes, then blast it down the dual carriageway for 30 minutes. Last night it started first time, this morning it starts first time. The only thing different is we disconnected a usb lead that has been there for 2 years, but then the car hasn't been left for 3 weeks before, so the next query is, can a usb lead that's not connected to any devices, drain a 12v battery in 3 weeks?? Or drain it low enough not to start??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
A USB lead supplies 5v. Therefore there is regulator circuitry between the 12v battery and the USB. Now if the USB is live all the time I would imagine there is some tiny drain in the regulator circuit but unless this regulator circuit is only switched on by the insertion of the USB cable, cable in or out should make no difference.
(Electro-acoustic guitars are only "switched on" when the cable is plugged in.)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:41:16 AM by Jocko »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
Power to the USB port and accessory socket should be disconnected when the key is in the zero position (or removed). That's an easy thing to check by connecting a phone to the cable and see if it starts to charge without the key in the ignition. I believe that the OBDII port remains alive so a Bluetooth dongle in that port would leak power.

The trip down the dual carriageway might have encouraged the vehicle to do some proper battery charging. There's too much clever technology lurking the background which is aimed at minimising the alternator generation (which will slightly impact fuel economy) and consequently might not put enough effort into ensuring that the battery is fully charged. Using jump leads to start means that the ECU won't know that the battery is discharged.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Power to the USB port and accessory socket should be disconnected when the key is in the zero position
I know the accessory circuit is disconnected but not having a USB on my Mk 1 I cannot speak to that.

Tags:

anything